SUPERAntiSpyware 6.0 Pre-Release - Final Has Been Released!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hayc59, May 18, 2014.

1. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

@sas_dave thanks for the information but I have another bug to report. SAS cannot save scan logs. I have run several on-demand and scheduled scans. I have UAC enabled in Window 7 x64.

Update: Err, CCleaner removed it. :)

2. sas_dave

sas_dave Registered Member

@sg09 Thanks for letting me know it was just ccleaner; I would've been scrambling to reproduce that one all morning :)

3. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Thanks @sas_dave @SUPERAntiSpyware1 for releasing the new generation of SuperAntiSpyware. I wish that with your hard works it will again reach its previous efficiency and popularity. I request the moderators to close this thread or rename it as SUPERAntiSpyware 6.0 to make the further discussions relevant.

2014-07-30_001505.png

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

At least the context menu was fixed, looks good. Why the non-default screenshot sg09?

5. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I don't see "pre release" in that screenshot

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Edited Thread Title to Continue this Version's Discussion Here.

8. sas_dave

Thanks to all that helped with the testing & feedback!

As noted previously, 6.0 is available for download now as an official release; however, the update servers won't be activated until next week. We wanted to spend a few more days testing the update process.

BTW, I devised a work-around for the updater bug I was describing earlier. If you run the in-product update on one of the affected pre-release builds and it fails to update, it will download and run the current installer for you. It's not perfect, but it will prevent folks from getting into a "update loop". This, of course, won't happen until the update servers are activated next week.

9. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I am using and liking this black theme. I gave it because there was no previous mention in this thread that such theme was added. :)

10. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

11. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Updated, thanks.

EDIT - No problems thus far.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Will you be submitting it to third parties for tests?

13. sas_dave

Detection tests? I'm happy to answer any questions I can, but I'm not here in any official capacity.. that being said, as far as I know, submitting SAS to detection tests hasn't been discussed, though I'm sure folks will test against SAS6 eventually.

My opinion (feel free to disagree): scanner tests are misleading; showing effectiveness against a collection of samples that may or may not even exist on real users machines. Also, I've personally encountered "testers" who are just a shill for another product, sites/reviewers who are influenced by advertising dollars, and companies that sell access to the very samples they test against.

I think SAS has become a popular choice for users based on first-hand experience/word of mouth rather than numbers on a chart.

14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

SUPERDelete file removal worked without reboot where Process Explorer and Unlocker failed, I'm impressed. I may test detection myself later.

15. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I would say scanner tests are not perfect, but if they are done professionally with a clear, logical methodology then something valuable can be learned about a product. They are only misleading when done with bias or poor methodology. I would agree that first hand experience and word of mouth are the bottom line. I will try using SAS 6 when I'm cleaning machines in the field and see how it does.

16. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Very nice and thank you!!

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Did the download and installed with no issues. Did a quick scan. SAS is still the best cookie cleaner.

18. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Congrats to All The Men and Women at SAS...For The Eye Pleasing Release. A question sas_dave? I currently have version 6.0.1074...will it be upgraded when the servers are open next week? Once again many thanks...from a long time SAS...user from The Great White North. Sincerely...Securon

19. sas_dave

Yep, the pre-release versions will get the latest build through the updater next week.

20. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

21. biscuits

biscuits Registered Member

Awesome release. What I like about it the most is the System Investigator Tool followed by the fast scan time.

I can't run it on Win7 x64 though. It is crashing due to RPCRT4.DLL.

22. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

And herein lies the problem.

The new SAS guys may be nicer than Nick, but we are back to the usual SAS junk – excuses.

Testing IS the basis for judgment of products. Testing does reflect the real world.

Those who make excuses about testing almost always have inferior products.

SAS has a recent history of being THE WORST product tested in all the legitimate tests where it is evaluated.

What makes anybody think anything has changed?

Why any of you would assume SAS is worth any time or effort is beyond me.

Some of the most recent testing:

PCMag.com
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392919,00.asp

Product Rating: DISMAL

MRG
    http://www.mrg-effitas.com/wp-conte...ffitas-Time-to-Detect-Assessment-Q4-20131.pdf

Worst Product Tested

And this is the way it is for SAS. Every test I've seen in the last five years where SAS is included -- SAS is the VERY Worst product tested.

Products that hang their hat on "first-hand experience" and "word of mouth" are suckass products.

That is all.

-ftp

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Some companies have objected to tests because they claim the methodology is skewed or inadequate. That may sometimes be true, but the fact remains that a product's effectiveness needs to be demonstrated. First hand experience is anecdotal and thus unreliable. Regarding word of mouth, I haven't seen many people documenting that SAS cleared there machines of actual infections. A product needs to do more than clear "tracking cookies" to be an effective anti-malware application. The vendor needs to step up and demonstrate that this new version is more than a UI makeover.

24. sas_dave

Hey, like I said, I accept that folks disagree with me on the synthetic tests (it's just my personal opinion). MRG sells access to the samples they test against. We subscribed to their samples for a while and didn't see any increase in detection rates for our users, so we directed our efforts elsewhere. Hurts us on their tests, but we're more interested in helping our users.

Our development staff (me included) works customer support from time to time; it's a great way to direct our development energy where it will benefit users most. I've seen the effectiveness of SAS first hand working with our customers; but I also understand that not everyone shares that experience. It's the nature of the beast; scanners aren't perfect. But, that's why we have a support staff and tools like the new system investigator.

BTW, we're not the new SAS guys; we're the same old ones (sorry if that's disappointing). I'm good friends with Nick and while he can seem abrasive, he's one of the nicest & honest guys I've ever known. When he was calling the shots, all he wanted was to make SAS the best it could be. Our new parent company has given us the same directive and more resources to make that happen (our malware research staff has doubled since acquisition) .

25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Posts. Let's Focus Only On The Topic, and Not Each Other. Thank You!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.