SUPERAntiSpyware 6.0 Pre-Release - Final Has Been Released!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hayc59, May 18, 2014.

1. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

A few suggestions.
    1) After interrupting a scan, the software should show a list of already detected items. I think, SAS previously offered such thing.
    2) Disable the maximize/resize option because the that only increases the blank area and do not actually resizes the interface.

2. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Subtle changes in GUI from v6.0.1032 to v6.0.1070...

Then... ScreenShot_SAS_install_v.6.0.1032_prerelease_78.gif
    ...and now ScreenShot_SAS_v6.0.1070_SystemInvestigator_02.gif

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Updating new definitions is painfully slow!

o_O

4. sas_dave

sas_dave Registered Member

If you click on "stop scan" it will let you clean what it's found up to that point. Cancel just aborts.

The resizing looks weird on some screens, it's true...it's been this way since version 5.0. Screens with a list of items will grow the content with the window though, giving you more room to work with (especially nice for large scan results or the system investigator). The alternative is snapping the window back to the default size on certain screens, which seemed odd.

5. sas_dave

Generally speaking, the core service reads a portion of the disk and sends that data to the SAS application for scanning. That means all of the disk reads, plus all of the "writes" to the main application will show up on your resource monitor. It's not uncommon for the file I/O to be quite high... but that should only grow during scanning.

6. SUPERAntiSpyware1

SUPERAntiSpyware1 Registered Member

Updating definitions should be faster with SAS 6. What part of the update is slow for you? It could just be a bad cdn connection. Is it slow for you every time you update?

Thanks
    Don

7. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Hi Don,

I only installed SAS 6 yesterday and yesterday's update seemed quick enough. I'm using the Free Edition, so I need to manually update. It was the actual downloading that was slow. Same thing on my other machine.

Thanks.

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

to SUPERAntiSpyware1 and sas dave are you guys the developers of superantispyware pro?are you going to work on new features to improve malware blocking in real time?what is the plan?thanks alot

9. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Ah, true, I forgot that.
    Yes, it works perfectly on scan results or the system investigator. You should rather choose that alternative idea of snapping the window back to the default size on certain screens. I saw that in some softwares.
    Yes, that screenshot was during a scan with high active boost.
    SAS IO usage active boost.png
    But even without any active boost it consumes high I/O during a scan.
    resourse usage SAS.png
    And even at idle time, the I/O usage is pretty high.
    resourse usage SAS idle.png
    So, isn't this abnormal? Or, I am the only one to see such high I/O in all cases? Can these be due to some conflict? How may I send you a diagnostic report?
    I am using Windows 7 x64. I am not seeing any system lag probably because of the powerful configuration of my system.

10. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Another Bug/Suggestion

SAS restarted system automatically after cleaning detected threat. Previously it used to show an alert. That alert should be shown now also.

11. sas_dave

yes, it should be prompting before rebooting; I'll check that out on Monday.

We'll so some testing with new and old versions of SAS to see if your IO numbers look "normal", but I'm thinking they do.

12. sas_dave

Yes, SUPERAntiSpyware1 (Don) and I are both on the SUPERAntiSpyware team. There are several improvements to the real-time system on our development road map, but we're not ready to make any announcements just yet. Compared to version 5.7, real-time protection in version 6.0 has undergone some performance improvements, but no additional functionality.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  13. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

SAS has used so much of my monthly bandwidth at the start of monthly usage allowance.

I wonder why SAS uploaded so much information from my computer. I am not happy!

ScreenShot_SAS_bandwidth_usage_01.gif

ScreenShot_SAS_bandwidth_usage_02.gif

14. SUPERAntiSpyware1

Tarnak,

We apologize for the inconvenience. This is not the expected behavior of SAS. We are looking into the cause of the issue.

Thanks
    Don

15. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I think it may have something to do with me, running system investigator... Anyhow, it has settled, now.

ScreenShot_SAS_bandwidth_usage_04.gif

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  16. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Hi Don,

I've just updated SAS 6 on my two machines and the downloads ran much faster, so I guess it was a temporary problem.

PS : I'm blown away with the speed of scans with SAS 6. Great work! :thumb:

17. SUPERAntiSpyware1

Thanks Krusty13. We're pretty happy with this version.

Don

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thank you

19. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

@sas_dave & @SUPERAntiSpyware1
    Can you add a feature to hide the registration code in Help & Information module? Its better to hide it behind asterisks.

20. SUPERAntiSpyware1

Thanks for the input sg09. We'll discuss this and see what we can do.

21. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

I have version 6.0.0.1088 anyone else and a change log?

22. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

@hayc59 Are you getting automatic program updates? I haven't got the new version through auto updates. Although I haven't updated to the latest version, I think that they must have added the prompt for asking about system restart after threat removal. The previous version used to restart automatically.

@sas_dave & @SUPERAntiSpyware1
    Another suggestion. In the main GUI SAS shows the Databse Version and the last update time (updated ..... ago). But that update is infact the update checking time not the time of actual update. So, you should rename that part ("update checked ..... ago" or "checked ..... ago").
    2014-07-27_151928.png

23. sas_dave

The last few builds have only had minor bug fixes/UI tweaks. The reboot prompt was one of the fixes, I'm not sure there would be much else outwardly noticeable. In-product updates don't work for pre-release builds until the official launch; the update server only has the latest official release; you'd have to re-download for now.

We actually went back and forth on that update time.. It seemed wrong to only show the actual time of the database, as checking would "do nothing" in between database builds. Just saying "checked" also seemed wrong because it doesn't imply a result. Really what that time means is "you are up to date as of xxx minutes ago", but that was too wordy..so we just stuck with updated and figured we were agonizing over it more than anyone else would.

24. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

@sas_dave I understand. Thanks for the clarification.

25. sas_dave

I wanted to let ya'll know about a bug we discovered today. Some of the pre-release builds under Windows with UAC enabled won't be able to do the in-product update. Downloading and reinstalling the current pre-release build (6.0.1090) or the public release will resolve the issue. The official launch is planned for tomorrow, and will likely be the 6.0.1090 build.

I am sorry about the hassle of having to reinstall. If you have UAC disabled (or are running an admin account on XP) the updater should work for you, but if not, the reinstall will.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.