SUPERAntiSpyware 6.0 Pre-Release - Final Has Been Released!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hayc59, May 18, 2014.

1. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Dave - Who is your new parent company? SAS website indicates support.com, but that was June 2011. Is there a newer one?

2. sas_dave

sas_dave Registered Member

Still Support.com

3. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

4. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

@sas_dave
    I have a suggestion. Is it possible to throw an alert when someone disables the Real-Time protection from tray menu? It only changes tray icon type or GUI color. Today I mistakenly turned it off mistakenly and wasn't aware until I opened the GUI for some reason.

5. sas_dave

Sure, maybe a confirmation prompt would be appropriate? I could put that in there easy enough.

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

password protection also and password protection against termination too :)

7. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

8. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Password protection is atleast needed in the option to see my keycode and to Deregister my computer.

9. sas_dave

Password protection is on our radar, but it'll take some planning. We get a ton of support related to finding/entering registration codes, adding passwords into that mix could be a mess. In general, SAS being used on a "shared" computer where the other users are messing with program settings is rare; so the need for passwords is small. I do think it's worthwhile to implement though.

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

we're asking them to start adding stuff for our convenience. A few years from now we'll be threatening to jump ship because SAS is too bloated. :blink:

11. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

12. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Thanks for adding this feature in the current version.

I still haven't got any application update prompt. When we get application updates notifications?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  13. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Will this update go out to all of us still running 5.7?

14. sas_dave

The minor builds we're doing this week and last are just to correct any lingering UI quirks/misspellings, additional error messages, etc. It's not needed to update if you aren't experiencing any specific problems. The update servers haven't been activated yet; when they are turned on, all versions of SAS will be notified of the update. We're aiming for this week, but we want to make sure to address as many bug reports as possible.

This current build has a prompt to disable real-time, as requested by sg09 earlier.

15. The system inspection is nice. Although data base has to many unknowns which leaves to much for the average user to decide. Suggestion for an alternative

Upload unknown items to VT (like HitmanPro does), provide a green status (colouring from green -yellow - orange - red) depending on VT-results and show community voting, scan files with more as five (like Crystal security) with threatexpert/annuablis and upload findings to your servers.

16. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

@sas Dave, OK thanks for the info. :thumb:

17. sas_dave

@Windows_Security
    This tool was designed from the start to be for a more technical crowd; but with a user-friendly and concise presentation of data, so maybe more accessible to average users than other tools. It's tucked away in the tools menu for that reason, rather than being front-and-center with the scans. You're right though, until we get the unknown items to a small percent, average users may get lost in the results. That being said, our malware researchers are working to reduce the number of unknown items and we'll continue to improve the System Inspector tool in other ways.

Looking up items on other databases/services is something we've discussed internally and we'd like to do it if we can secure permission to do so. We already work with VirusTotal as one of their detection engines; but there are some additional hoops before you can wire into their database directly.

Thanks for the feedback!

18. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Maybe a bug: W7 x64 SP1. If I disable all settings (except "Enable right click options in explorer") in the "General Configuration" tab of "Preferences" and then select any start up scan (complete, quick, critical - doesn't matter) in the "Start up Scanning" tab of "Preferences" and also select "Hide the UI while scanning" I can't get the UI to open.

The UI will flash for a split second and then disappear. I'm guessing it has something to do with me disabling "Run SAS in the background"? I choose not to use SAS's RT protection.

19. sas_dave

@DBone
    Yes, this is probably a combination of options that will cause issues. Hiding the UI is pretty much intrinsic to running in the background. I'm thinking I need to disable the option for hiding the UI on start-up scanning if SAS is not set to run in the background... BTW, if Real-time is disabled, SAS doesn't do anything in the background beyond check for application updates once in a while (and put the icon in the system tray to bring up a hidden UI).

20. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

21. OK, what about doing the lookup from the client in stead from your servers (like HitmanPro and Crystal Security do) and upload the user's result in your (cloud) data base?

22. sas_dave

@Windows_Security
    VirusTotal requires licensing if you need to check their database more than 4 times per minute (client side or server side). I'm not involved directly with licensing and such, I only know that it's something we've discussed in development meetings.

23. jjc225

jjc225 Registered Member

I like the new version of SAS. Question: I am not sure what the prompt "remove this item" means in relation to a quarantine item. Does saying yes to removal restore the item back to the computer, or does yes delete it entirely from the computer? I assumed it was the latter, but I have kept it in quarantine just to be sure before I do any removing.

24. sas_dave

Yes, it means remove the entry from the quarantine (gone forever).

25. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.