SUPERAntiSpyware 6.0 Pre-Release - Final Has Been Released!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hayc59, May 18, 2014.

1. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

2. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Mops thank you ;)

3. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

4. SUPERAntiSpyware1

SUPERAntiSpyware1 Registered Member

The update is minor. It is available now. There is no need to de-register your license unless you intend to install on a different machine.

5. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

FWIW, version 6.0.1158 has been released but no changelog or release notes have been discovered yet.

No new posts were found on their forum by anyone since last month.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  6. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

7. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

8. SUPERAntiSpyware1

We typically release an update to the download servers before putting it in our update servers for our millions of users to get. Once we put it in the update servers, we update the change log.

9. niki

niki Registered Member

I had SuperAntiSpyware for many years on my PC. Uninstalled it some months ago, prior to the new release. (I believe v 6.x, whatever)

Today I decided to install SAS (free) again and downloaded it at MajorGeeks and downloaded it from download@Authors Site.

I installed it, was careful and didn't notice any boxes to untick for possible adware/crapware/additions. After installation of SAS I all of a sudden notice the Google Chrome icon on the taskbar. WHAT A HORROR!!!! It took me almost half an hour to uninstall Google Chrome completely and immediately uninstalled SAS as well as I don't want any adware, period! I HATE Google Chrome with a passion since it resembles an octopus having its tentacles all over the place. Yes I tried Chrome quite a few years ago so I know what I am talking about.

I will never try SAS again since I don't TRUST it anymore. Sneaky practice!!

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

You obviously missed a ticked box. I didn't have your problem. I agree, including these traps hoping you won't see them sucks, but it.s almost a common practice now.

11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Half an hour to uninstall Google Chrome? Something is wrong there.

12. niki

niki Registered Member

I looked for any boxes that should have been ticked or unticked and didn't see any. I was very careful. The last one I had adware on it accidently was Foxit many years ago.

@JL. Yes it took me that long since I used Revo Uninstaller which took a very long time and after that had to search for any leftovers as in the Task Scheduler etc. which Revo didn't catch. Luckily the app Search Everything came in handy for any further remnants that had to be removed. I deleted all Google remnants with today's date. CCleaner also found registry items.

When I had SAS for years prior to this, it never found anything. Zilch and that was the reason I uninstalled their previous version 5 (something) Thought to try SAS again to see if they had improved. Curiosity killed the cat!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  13. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ niki

I DL'd SAS from their www, & first installed the Full version trial. I then uninstalled it & installed the Free version. I declined the "extras" Both times, & did NOT get ANY Chrome etc installs. I didn't update the Defs.

1.png

2.png

3.png

So whatever happened on your install, from my experiences, is NOT the fault of SAS !

14. niki

niki Registered Member

Cloneranger, thanks for the pics. I swear that I did not see those boxes and am tempted to try SAS free out again to verify. I am always extremely careful in installing software to avoid crapware and can't say why I did get Chrome on my PC.

15. niki

niki Registered Member

To try it out again, this time I selected SAS on MajorGeeks: download@MajorGeeks and didn't get any boxes to untick and no mention of Chrome and no chrome was installed.

Yesterday I selected to download from download@Authors Site. (at Majorgeeks) and swear I didn't see any boxes to uncheck and DID get Chrome. I stand by what I experienced. :isay:

PS: Perhaps someone who wants Chrome and SAS can download on Major Geeks and select the download@Authors Site ;)

16. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ niki

I DL'd 2 other SAS.exe's & compared them with the previous one.

I verified that All are SAS v6.0.0.1158 with a Hash checker & that the hashes are,

SAS from SAS i installed, SHA1 = 26783A818674678630E989CDE8B316DAC33E61CA

SAS from SAS via MajorGeeks, SHA1 = 26783A818674678630E989CDE8B316DAC33E61CA

SAS DIRECT from MajorGeeks, SHA1 = C0A7A8927CB4AA9D8C6067BF628FA15D30109F19

As you can see, even though the versions are reported as Exactly the same, the one DIRECT from MajorGeeks www is different in some way/s !

I think that someone from SAS should step in & explain the differences etc etc. Plus maybe others could tests the 3 .exe's via the 3 links

17. niki

niki Registered Member

Thank you for the info CloneRanger. You're right in that it would be great if there was some explanation from SAS.

Below pic is to clarify which 2 downloads at MajorGeeks I selected. The top (first) was yesterdays download/install with Chrome while todays is below, being the 3rd one. (without Chrome).

PS: I wouldn't dream of trying again the first download.

Attached Files:

• SAS.jpg
      SAS.jpg
      File size:
      64.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  18. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Why can't we disable SAS from starting with Windows now?

The setting is greyed out and unclickable.

Maybe it's time to rid my machine of SAS.

Attached Files:

• SAS.PNG
      SAS.PNG
      File size:
      100.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  19. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

After a restart the check mark was removed from the box. Problem seems to be solved.

:)

20. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Why didn't you download SAS from its website?

21. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

From my experience I can say that in some rare cases/systems the adware installation option remains invisible for some installers.

22. niki

niki Registered Member

Thanks so much. That must have been happening in my case with SAS when I downloaded it from MajorGeeks with the 1st link (via SAS) I mean, who would NOT be able to see the boxes when installing that were shown in a previous post by CloneRanger.

23. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

No, it was only solved because I use Norton's Startup Manager to stop SAS from starting with Windows.

SAS developers, why would I want your free version to start with Windows? I don't!

Please return the option to NOT start your program with Windows.

Thank you.

24. SUPERAntiSpyware1

If you find any installers that install Chrome without giving the option to opt-out, please let me know. We don't even build an installer that automatically installs Chrome without the option to opt-out.

25. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

What, you aren't interested in replying to me about NOT starting with Windows.

OK, that's fine. Uninstalling now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.