SUPERAntiSpyware 5.x

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Mops21, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petef

petef Registered Member

Re: SUPERAntiSpyware 5.0

Ok, great, I'll be back after SAS 5 is out there for a year to let you know how it's actually working in the field. That's give me time to install it and check up on my customers to see how they handled it.

---pete---

2. petef

petef Registered Member

Ok, thank you for the great program!
    I'm looking forward to to SAS v5.0

---pete---

3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

something like that :p

1 folder (compressed) :)

Attached Files:

• zoo.JPG
      zoo.JPG
      File size:
      3.1 KB
      Views:
  4. Magnus Mischel

Magnus Mischel Security Expert

Oh how I'd love to get my hands on that folder!

5. ParadigmShift

ParadigmShift Registered Member

Oh Magnus, I'll bet you've got access to a lot of current live download links out there.

6. Magnus Mischel

Magnus Mischel Security Expert

Absolutely, but that doesn't mean we don't want any and all malware samples we can get a hold of.

7. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

8. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

LoL. You know what side I'm on.

I got a multitude of different samples from all sorts of platforms.

9. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

I believe Superantispy's product is directed toward people like myself: I am reasonably knowledgeable, but simply don't have the time (nor interest) in employing extensive operating system based security.

I am grateful for those that are dedicated to creating a product which serves my needs...and, I have no problem with them making a few bucks in the process.

There are several developers(?) on this board that are very gracious (Superantispy and Prevx are just a couple that some to mind), yet seem to draw a surprising amount of undeserved criticism.
    The few threads I have followed show a similar pattern: The developer is reasonable and responsive, and some techie(s) attempt to pick apart their product or responses. Interestingly, the developers remained reasonable while the techies became inflamed.
    Even if I didn't fully understand the technical argument (often camouflaged as constructive criticism), I fully recognized the lack of respect often displayed in those threads.

I recently purchased some of these computer security products for myself and family based partially upon the friendly attitude of the developers. It speaks volumes to me when I can post an embarrassingly newbish question and have a pro help me out without questioning my intelligence.

Keep up the fine work, Superantispy.

10. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Thank you very much for the kind compliments towards the vendors here - it makes it all worthwhile knowing people enjoy the product! I actually don't mind people trying to tear our product apart as it provides me the opportunity to explain things to the public so that everyone can learn and may have some questions answered that they wanted to ask, or may have never thought to ask.

11. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I really don't understand why some (only very few) members at this forum won't to bash SuperAntispyware. I read through most of the post, and found one user's post in particular to be pointless. If they are that unhappy with the product then why don't they just use something else, and go one with their life. Do they feel like their doing a good deed by pointing out that SS is being distruthful with their customers? Do they feel like SS is using fear tactics, and hope that their customers don't ever educate themselves about other methods to fight malware? I have seen no evidence of SS doing this. If their is any then please point it out. I quit frankly found the post to be very unprofessional. If you have good intentions with your post you need to take a different approach in conveying your message.

12. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Thank you and agree oh so much!!
    I think they have nothing better do to so they do this!!
    Carry on my friend Nick... I also think this thread has now come to an end

13. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'll be speaking for myself, and I'll be doing it, because, unless I'm imagining things, those comments are also meant for me.
    Being so, I'll start by mentioning something about Prevx, which is a security vendor that has been called for to this thread by another user.

Before saying there's nothing better to do than bashing, or why you don't understand why such bashing occurs, allow me to say this: No bashing was ever done by me towards either SUPERAntispyware nor Prevx, or any other vendor for that matter.
    I'd advise you to search the Prevx forum for my nickname and you'll see it's precisely otherwise.

Never once I targeted SUPERAntispyware. All this started due to my first post here replying to user ParadigmShift

Then, came this by SUPERAntispy

It seems I was calling these users (non-techies) stupid. Well, I wasn't, and it is clear I wasn't due to this

and then this, in the same paragraph I had wroten

Here I am mentioning that not everyone was as knowledgeable as ParadigmShift, for him to consider security software is of no value. I clearly state otherwise.

But, for whatever reason, SUPERAntispy still thinks or wants to see that I'm calling these people stupid, by once again quoting my first post and giving emphasis to
    (This emphasis was even in larger letters, bold and underlined (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1778373&postcount=46))

Well, then blah blah, etc like end user don't have other choice, other than always being infected, and being trapped into using security software; as if they wouldn't have a choice to learn if they wished it so.

This was always by "issue", or whatever you like to call it. I never bashed any security software.
    I hope my position is now clear in both ways: That I never called anyone stupid, but tech users who would become victims of infections due to stupidity, which I'm included, I want to believe; and that I never bashed any security products.

14. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Downplay it as much as you want, but the fact is that both MBAM and HMP offer quick scans that take anywhere from 1.5-3 min and will typically fix the problem(s). After running both aforementioned tools on infected systems, and following it up with a SAS 'quick scan', once the 'not-so-quick scan' completes after 8-15 min it will only yield the infamous tracking cookies and a required reboot once they are removed.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  15. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

It never fails to amaze me how on Wilders certain products seem to attract some vitriol. SAS seems to attract this particularly. The first heated argument debate I ever got into on this forum was about the efficacy of MBAM compared to SUPERAntiSpyware. I merely pointed out my experiences with both. I have used SAS (freeware version) for over two years now on my laptop. I have never had a false-positive with SAS & it once found a trojan that Spybot & Norton missed (Google's Translation page warned me I had been infected). I don't use Norton or Spybot now.

I once was trolled up & down the Opera ASA forums by some nutter who kept telling me MBAM & Spybot were far superior to SAS when I happened to mention that I used it. I have never had any problems with SAS but MBAM & Spybot once gave me some trouble. Spybot went totally HAL 9000 on me after an upgrade & I tried to uninstall it. It will never grace a computer I own again.

It may be that SAS has a slower 'quick scan' than MBAM or Spybot amongst others. It IS thorough though, & after all, that's what counts. SAS also removes flash & tracking cookies, many anti-malware apps (MBAM) won't do this.

As for MBAM, I don't doubt its efficacy in detecting malware, but I had several false-positives with it, which if I hadn't been on the ball, would have certainly trashed my computer if I had believed what it had reported as malware. Plus, it seemed to have some updating problems for people who live outside of the continental United States.

Ever since, I have not recommended Spybot or MBAM to people who are less familiar with security applications (particularly with the concept of false-positives) but I will always recommend SAS.

I honestly rate it as one of the best security apps I have ever used. I hope it remains that way. :thumb:

*Waits for tirade of abuse by fanboys*

16. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Nice try EliteKiller - MBAM and HMP are great products - bottom line is that SAS will often find more than "cookies" on a scan - it will often see things that MBAM and HMP won't even see - so don't try and steer this to "SAS has a long Quick Scan and only finds cookies".

A Single Solution is NOT Enough these days - MBAM finds things we miss and SAS finds things MBAM misses - that's reality. That's why people should be running SAS+MBAM (or HMP, etc).

After version 5.0 comes out, your "snipe" of long quick scans won't be valid, so you might want to start thinking of another angle. :) I am sure you'll find one - maybe our logo? color of the product? name? menu choices? buttons? lol

17. PhantomPhenix

PhantomPhenix Registered Member

Working in a hardened OS environment is to cumbersome for most folks like myself and it isn't guaranteed protection. As a program developer I need my programs and OS to work with me and not against me. I do not have the time to learn and become a security expert, this is not my focus. This is why I am a SAS customer.

@EliteKiller, MBAM and HMP scan specific areas and look for "fingerprints". I've noticed SAS are more thorough which odiously takes longer, big deal. :rolleyes:

18. ns3719

ns3719 Registered Member

hello,
    i use hardened os, i not have problem with malwares, i think mabe some peoples post here too, are realy from sas, and not real customer, this seems only ad for sas, and not so, secure os, peoples with tdss, and sas, still has malwares, it not tdss gone, so more yet, it need some other, idea for secures, no malwares, mabe no admins, and policy too,
    sorry, with english,

19. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Seeing how I've been dealing with infected pc's for a number of years, including 5 yrs of using SAS on occasion, I'd like to think my comments do have merit. Over the past year alone SAS has not detected anything critical after MBAM & HMP have been run. Other people may have different experiences; I am merely sharing mine.

I never once stated anything to the contrary.

Nick, I see that it is still very difficult for you to hold your composure and offer up professional responses. Instead you take it personally and resort to assumptions and snide remarks. Such a shame really.

20. m00nbl00d

That's quite an unfair comment, IMO.

After all, can't I just say that every security vendor copycats whatever the other one is doing? Would it be fair to say avast! team was copycatting AVG by introducing a behavior blocker? AVG only introduced it (Identity Protection) in the free version after avast! had it in the free version, but AVG already had a paid one (bought from SANA Security). Or, can't we just say AVG copycatted avast! and introduced the behavior blocker in the free version of their AV?

That's just one example. It's just not fair to say that. If SUPERAntispyware team wouldn't do anything to speed up their product, people would criticize that; they do/will do something, people still criticize.

Besides, what's wrong with implement improvements? It's a benefit to the end-user. :)

21. m00nbl00d

@ SUPERAntispy

I'm not sure whether or not has been mentioned (I gave a fast read and couldn't see it), but it would be nice if SAS could let the user know via a non-intrusive pop-up, once per week, that a manual scanning is needed. Obviously, I'm talking about the free version, since it has no real-time protection.

I believe it would be a nice approach. ;)

22. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

That's on our list :) Keep the suggestions coming!

23. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

If the SUPERAntiSpyware "bashers" would be kind enough to keep to themselves we could continue this thread to improve SUPERAntiSpyware and talk about SUPERAntiSpyware 5.0 - it seems that any time SAS is talked about people feel the need to attack and turn the thread away from the intention - take a look at the topic title "SUPERAntiSpyware 5.0".

We will be posting a feature list and road map shortly - we are trying to incorporate as many user suggestions as possible.

The big ones that are already in 5.0 are:

* NEW user interface
    * NEW updater that won't have administrator "issues"
    * NEW scheduler for updatest and scans
    * NEW command line switches for enterprise and easy deployment
    * MUCH faster quick scan and critical point scan
    * MUCH faster startup
    * MUCH faster definition download and update time
    * DRASTICALLY Improved real-time protection
    * Archive scanning
    * Right-click scanning with no user interface started
    * and many more :)

Along with many more features to help in the fight against malware and provide a better end-user experience - there are many features planned for the 5.x product line - we can't get them all in the first release, but we'll get them in there for you guys!

24. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

That is OK! ... I don't need reminding, because I know when I run a scan, which is seldom. - See my post > https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=286236 BTW, I have a PRO license, but I use it in on demand only. ;)

25. m00nbl00d

Well, I guess I have one more suggestion, for now, and it comes in the path of our - I want to believe - healthy discussion, which perhaps started to a misunderstanding of my initial choice of words, which led you to believe that non-technical end users shouldn't be using security software; they should and must, because most don't want to learn or lack the time to learn... anyway, I guess the suggestion is to, once you are done create the mentioned security education portal/center, to include such information in SAS, in an informative balloon/pop-up explaining the dangers of certain actions while surfing, checking e-mail, services like Facebook, etc. I truly believe that such should be a security vendor concern, and for what I could understand you seem to believe that, as well, which is great. And, I guess there wouldn't be much sense in such security education center without a proper advertising.

A bit of basic knowledge about the different dangers allied to SAS, will for sure increase the protection scope for such users.

It's already too late here (4 A.M) and got to get some sleep. I'm sure tomorrow I'll have ideas. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.