SUPERAntiSpyware 5.x

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Mops21, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Re: SUPERAntiSpyware 5.0

I don't think that the acquisition by Support.com has done anything to improve SAS for the average end-user. I used the freeware version for a long time, at least since the #4.2 series, & I had great faith in it. Recent events though have convinced me to uninstall it. I actually ran SAS longer then any single anti-virus program. I'd been considering its removal for a while & I have chosen a replacement for a good on-demand scanner. It was still a sad day when I ran the uninstaller. :'(

I'm blaming the one-armed man myself. ;)

2. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I had some kind of update issue. I don't recall, it was a few weeks ago, so I uninstalled it.

3. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Totally agree. I believe it has done more harm than good. No "Lifetime Licenses", No updates on weekends or Holidays (I guess the hackers take the weekend off to o_O ) I hold 2 licenses for 4 computers of the Lifetime Pro Version. I have uninstalled SAS Pro on ALL of my computers. I'll watch their forum and ratings for improvement before reinstalling but as of now :thumbd:

4. Daveski17

I think the Lifetime Licence loss was a bad policy decision.

I dunno about the hackers having holidays, but as far as I remember SAS (freeware) never updated on weekends.

I have a feeling you will be waiting a long time.

5. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

I have that same feeling. :(

6. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

We actually have a greatly expanded research team and definition processing team - why would you uninstall? We have greatly improved SUPERAntiSpyware since the acquisition - we have released version 5.0 and many updates.

7. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

What is your reason for uninstalling? Because we were acquired? We have more resources now to fight malware than we did pre-acquisition - sure, things change, but the changes will help users and better protect against malware.

8. Daveski17

This wasn't the predominant reason, although some policy changes have influenced my decision. I had been having some odd glitches (particularly with upgrading) & items left after scans for a while now. It seemed to RAM spike badly on my notebook after updates & after critical point scanning particularly. The clincher was a nag screen appearing while I was working in a word processor informing me of the vendor version. I can understand nag screens when you open an application or when you are using it, but I didn't expect it when I was using another application. At first I thought it was either an upgrade notice or malware!

Don't get me wrong, I have always believed that SAS was an excellent program & I used it for quite a while. It once caught a trojan that everything else missed (Norton & SpyBot) & I am grateful to it for that. Norton & SpyBot are history to me now, & they were never that good anyway. It was with some reluctance that I finally uninstalled SAS but I only really need one on-demand scanner.

I would like to say thank you for releasing such a good anti-malware application over the years, but as you say, things change, & it is time for me to move on as well. I wouldn't totally rule out ever installing it again though. Good luck in the future.

Dave

9. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I can never get rid of SUPERAntiSpyware. No other anti-Malware program gets rid of the harmful cookies. Which is why I keep SAS along side my Kaspersky Internet Security and MBAM Pro.

PS: I do own SAS Pro version license as well but am not using it now as I have no need for it. But I do need SAS to clean out my tracking/harmful cookies without me having to delete all my cookies which contain login info. SAS only deletes the bad ones :D

10. Daveski17

Tracking cookies are not actually harmful, SAS does indeed remove tracking/flash cookies as opposed to something like MBAM which just looks for actual malware.

11. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

like making the portable version a paid only feature? that was SAS's strong point..

12. Daveski17

Is this actually true? :eek: I've heard the rumours. Now, that is a shame.

13. Re: SUPERAntiSpyware 5.0

Alas greed overcomes protection for all users, SAS looks like it may fade away.

14. Daveski17

If they do, they have shot themselves in the foot deliberately.

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hmmm, i have over the months closely followed posts about SAS which i also used quite extensively over it's run. It did more then just point out tracking cookies, like already mentioned, some of it's signatures from time to time were ahead of even AV's i use. Sad to see what appears to be some gloomy pictures surfacing. I don't have an opinion either way ATM, but from some dedicated users post feel it now bears some monitoring to determine for myself if it's progressing as expected or not.

16. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

What it the world are you talking about? We offer a 100% free edition of SUPERAntiSpyware and have for many years. You can download it and run it directly off our site - the home portable is bundled with definitions so you don't need to have an Internet connection to update and can install/scan from a USB drive.

17. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

We are not fading away by any means, our downloads are growing, our effectiveness is growing and we have added many resources to help in the fight against Malware for our free and paid user base!

18. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

SUPERAntiSpyware detects Malware, Spyware, RootKits, Trojans, etc. etc. etc. - and we detect tracking cookies, as that is a user requested feature. Cookies can't "harm" your computer, but they do help advertisers and sites track your surfing habits - many users don't like that - we don't list them as threats, we list them as tracking items - which they are!

19. Daveski17

I'm glad to hear that.

20. Daveski17

Yes, this is an excellent feature of SAS.

21. m0use0ver

m0use0ver Registered Member

http://forums.superantispyware.com/index.php?/topic/6822-sas-portable-not-portable/

Bending the term *portable* is like your weazel like sales promotion(buy at special price only for today) is bending the *only for today* part :shifty:

22. Daveski17

I think 'anonymous_user' puts his/her finger on it:

"What a shame the true portable version is no longer available for home users for free (legally). Most times I only plan on running SAS once on a computer so I'd rather not do the full install for such times."

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Portables are for many of us extreme efficiency. If i had my way all apps i employ for security and even those not would be like the browsers i use, 100% Portable!

24. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I read the thread linked above. I understand that there used to be a portable product which could be run without an install. Now there's a fully updated product which does need to be installed, but doesn't require an internet connection (since it doesn't need to be updated). I get that this is less convenient and sometimes installing on an infected system is problematic. I get it, but why does the vendor have to justify the change in product and licensing?

25. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I have a lifetime subscription for the Pro version and yesterday SAS gave me a message that my subscription expired :rolleyes:

I submitted a support ticket 13 hours ago but still no reply :rolleyes:

Ticket # CSR00086830

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.