Super slow startup

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by gjmveloso, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ASpace

ASpace Guest

And just for the record , next time you use MS AutoRuns for similar issues , check Options -> Hide Microsoft Entries (and then File->Refresh) to make AutoRuns hide known Microsoft entries which will make the log much easier to be read and analysed :thumb:

2. jftuga

jftuga Registered Member

I have also seen very slow startups ranging from desktops to laptops, including on a clean install of XP SP2, plus updates & Office 2003. No other AV, etc. had ever been installed. Other systems were wiped completely of thier previous AV software, including throughly examing the file system and registy for any remnants that the uninstaller did not find. This problem can also be seen during an on-demand scan.

In order to help alleviate this problem, I have written a program to change the priority of the nod32.exe process to the lowest possible priority. I am undecided on how much it really helps. More feedback would be greatly appreciated.

My program should be run from a Scheduled Task (like every 2 minutes) using the SYSTEM account. This is the only way to change nod32.exe's priority since it also runs under the SYSTEM account. A regular user can not change priorities of processes owned by other users, including SYSTEM. This is true even if you are an Administrator.

When the program starts, it scans the process table for nod32.exe. If it is not found, the program exits. This is why I think it is OK to run it frequently. Maybe I should program it as a service instead of a scheduled task. If nod32.exe is found in the process table, my program lowers it's priority and then exits. The program if very small and quick to execute.

The scheduled task would look something like this:
    Proc_Watch.exe -1 0 nod32.exe

Make sure to download the version included in Post #4. Source code is included as well as an executable...
    http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=14187&view=findpost&p=317343

I hope this helps!
    -John

3. gamersmile

gamersmile Registered Member

HiTech Boys and other experts:
    I'm afraid you've made the wrong adjudgement. As gjmveloso has stated, he is using McAfee AFTER the failure of troubleshooting NOD32 slow start up, so IMHO : the real cause for this problem IS NOT AV software incompatibility.

Let's keep working on this.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are right , I missed post number 19.I'm sorry . He has installed McAfee after that but it's impossible to analyze such logs to diagnose software conflicts (especially with other AV).

5. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

My apologies for misundestanding gjmveloso's posts. It was unclear to me that McAfee wasn't running alongside NOD32.

I'd like to see another startup log/running processes log with NOD32 installed, and other AV's removed, if possible?

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello gjmveloso,,

As noted in BlackSpears earlier post...."Please forward logs from the following programs to support @ eset.com with a link to this thread".

Since Wilders does not allow the logs such as HJT\AutoRun to be posted in forum unless requested by a Wilders team member to be posted....the HJT\AutoRun logs were removed as per this Announcement.

Regards,
    Bubba

7. sunchips

sunchips Registered Member

Hi,

I am having the same problem with having an extremly slow bootup after installing Nod32.

I'm installing it on a laptop with Windows XP, 2.0GHz and 2GB RAM, it has a wireless network card and connects to the internet through a wireless router.

There was McAfee Virus protection on the machine, but I removed that first (the the Windows remove software app) before installing Nod32.

Once I installed NOD32, that's when the whole thing just started creeping, it takes it 10mins before it finished booting up and I can do anything. Once I uninstall NOD32 then it runs great.

Someone earlier mention repairing winsock, I have not tried that yet, but am going to but I was wondering if I repair it before re-installing NOD32? Or does it need to already be installed before I can repair it?

Is there possibly anything else that could be causing the problem of the slow startup?

Thanks

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi sunchips, try the following:

Download and run the McAfee removal tool

Make sure your Internet settings for NOD32 are set to "Dialup"

After the above, repair Winsock

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

9. Netsys_India

Netsys_India Registered Member

Hi, The problem is not with ZA or NOD32. Disable monitoring of antivirus in ZA Pro and you can have both working together. We have found NOD32 to be of best compatibility with both ZA and Outpost. Moreover with ZA startups are normally delayed.

10. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

Ya, I tried ZA with NOD32, its taking time.

LnS and OA2 are more faster than ZA and startup time is also good, hardly noticeable.

11. sunchips

sunchips Registered Member

Thanks for your reply Blackspear -- I was finally able to try out your suggestions today. And it did not help me at all. o_O o_O

First, when I turned on the laptop it booted up just fine like it's supposed to with no stalls or hang-ups.

NOD32 was not installed. I downloaded the McAfee removal tool and ran that.

Once, that was done, I downloaded NOD32 and then installed it. After the install it says to reboot the computer which I did.

Then from that point on it takes FOREVER for the machine to finish the startup process. I am not exaggerating when I say it takes the laptop 15mins to finish its startup process and you can use it again. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Once it does complete its startup process it runs okay, but that 15mins is not right at all!!

So, after I had it re-installed and was able to use the laptop again, I ran the repair Winsock like you suggested, but that did not work either.

I also tried changing it to say dial-up, but that did nothing for me either.

Are there any other suggestions as to what is causing this extremely slow startup? I have installed NOD32 on 4 other computers and never had this kind of problem before.

I hope I can get it fixed because I really think NOD32 is a great program and I don't want to have to go with something inferior, but which works. :(

Thanks for your time
    Sunchips

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  12. orejano

orejano Registered Member

i had a very slow startup, but i realized that this doesnt happen if the cable to my adsl modem was disconected of my pc
    i did the winsock repair and now it works just fine THANK YOU! :D :thumb:

13. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You are welcome.

Cheers :D

14. gjmveloso

gjmveloso Registered Member

I had formated my PC some weeks ago and install McAfee Enterprise and AntiVir.

Yesterday I changed my ISP. I used a radio-based connection for 3 years and NOD32 ever freezed my PC. Now I use a cable-based conection.

AND NOW NOD32 ARE TOO FAST!

But I will continue to test. Any trouble I will post here.

With cable conection I can use de default settings for conection? (LAN/fixed)

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.