Sunbelt Kerio at 4.3.268

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by QBgreen, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Noticed the new version. Has anyone scoped it out yet? If so, what do yo think?

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Was thinking about it, but I can't quite bring myself to do it yet...

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Kerodo,
    From the update info, not much change,.. are you running an earlier version?

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Hi Stem...

Nope, I wasn't running any software firewall for the past couple days. I just took the plunge and installed it now. All seems fine so far, except for one thing. I told it I wanted Advanced Mode during the install, but it set up the Any Other App rule to allow loopback and internet out while denying inbound, so in effect it put me into Simple Mode by default. So I just edited the Any Other App rule to Ask for all 4 permissions (loopback in/out and internet in/out). Aside from that, no problems really.

There are some odd programs that it allows in the app rules by default, which I haven't seen before. Let me see if I can list them:

wcescomm
    wcesmgr
    rapimgr
    ceappmgr

I have no idea what the heck those are, but Kerio put them into the Network Security->Applications section at install. I certainly don't run any of them here. Anyway, they're in there, and they can't be removed. It also gave IE access outbound by default at install along with the other few apps that it has always allowed, such as Services.exe and so on.

Anyway, seems ok so far. I will run it a few days and see what happens. Last time I tried it, I got a BSOD when I let a prompt sit there too long. Maybe they've fixed that by now.

Registration and my key went fine though, and I heard people had problems with that before as well. Seems ok now.

I did also uninstall it once just to see if that works ok, and had no problems. Then installed it a 2nd time again.. let's see how it goes for a few days.. ;)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
  6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Kerodo,
    wcescomm ( info
    wcesmgr (info
    rapimgr ( info
    ceappmgr (explanation

Keep us (the forum) updated with your progress/findings

____
    Stem

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, thanks for the info Stem.. Yep, I'll post if I see any problems here in the next few days..

8. Dwarden

Dwarden Registered Member

fixed vulnerability shows that matousec was right about theirs findings :))))

9. FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack Registered Member

It is a nice upgrade now. I have installed in on a system and it is nice. It seems more of a good firewall now and it seems more polished (little differences make the difference:)).

10. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Got it installed too and I'm pleased that I'm not getting any BSOD's. :D
    Touching wood though, but until now it's been running great.
    Did a check on GRC and got full stealth too. :)

A bit heavy on resources (about 40MB RAM & 20MB VM), compared to OutPost, but haven't experienced any slowdown. Running really smooth.
    Good job from Sunbelt. :thumb:

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Running fine after a day here, using about 30mb ram, not too bad. So far no problems though... looking good.

12. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Kerodo,
    I have just installed to have a play (cannot resist installing (any) firewalls). I now see the applications you mentioned:
    which are unremovable o_O :D

From a user "front end", all running o.k. I will have a play for a while.

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, can't remove those babies.. I'd like to though. I think they kinda bungled the apps section. I'd prefer to see Ask instead of Deny on all those inbound items, the way it used to be. And as mentioned above, it installed in Basic Mode when I selected Advanced. Anyway, it's not BSOD'ing on me, so that's a plus... :D

14. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Kerodo,
    I have sent a message to Sunbelt_support concerning those 4 apps,..

15. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I'm running Sunbelt Kerio 4.2.3 paid version. I tried updating manually, but keep getting an error message. How do you get this new version?

16. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I just downloaded from the website (I followed the "Download" link in the "Updates" area https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=139742)

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Cool... ;)

18. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

19. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I thinks its always interesting to see the results of a support_question (time for reply, info given etc).

Your welcome

20. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Hello everyone. I'm new here to Wilders Forums as a member, but read some of the threads quite often. That's why I should have known to wait until the latest version of Sunbelt Kerio Firewall was out for awhile before downloading and trying it. Before I go on let me say first. I had already tried 4.3.246, and liked it, but did get the shut down message some people were describing. Anyway, I did a clean uninstall before installing the new version, which I installed in the Advanced Mode, but like another person said earlier it still installed in the Simple Mode. That's not why I feel I should have waited however. After setting Any Other Application to 4 ask's, everything seemed fine until I logged onto my wifes account to open some programs she uses that access the internet. (Picaso being one) That's when the trouble began because as I opened up a program the little firewall icon in sys tray would multiply to 4 or five and then none, and then many again. What was happening , was that everytime I did this, Kerio was asking permit or deny on my account, instead of my wife's. This didn't happen with the last version for sure, as it worked just fine on both accounts. I hope I explained this well enough for someonre to understand what happened. Maybe it has something to do with Fast User Switching, or maybe another install attempt would work. I am a little afraid to try it though, because my CPU did finally lock up, and I had to hold in the power button to restart it. I don't know of anything that I may have done wrong for this to happen, but would appreciate any ideas, or help with this. I really wanted to use Kerio, but must admit. Outside of resource usage, I never had trouble with the Comodo Firewall. I'm not knocking Kerio. Like I said I was pleased with the last version. Thanks, and please excuse the long post. Remember though it is my first one so hopefully no one will mind. LOLOLO

21. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello duke1959, Welcome to Wilders,
    Sorry to hear of your problems. I personally have not used Kerio much, certainly not with user switching, but will setup users with Kerio on a VM to see if the problem reproduces.

Are both accounts "full admin"?

EDIT:
    Picaso? (photos management component in MediaWorx?)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2006
  22. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Is this an XP thing since I cannot find those files in 2K, also still running Kerio 4.2.2

23. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi djg05,
    The files are not installed with XP, from the info I found (Post#6) these are files installed for "Windows CE". Thats why some confusion as to why they are there.

Maybe they are installed in XP for the "active sync"?

24. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks Stem

Should have followed the links through but just assumed they were a windows thing.

25. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I hope you EVER get an answer from Sunbelt...they are really bad in customer care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.