Sunbelt Counter Spy

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Perman, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, all:

Currently testing new version 3.1 2416 (3.1.1606.1) with real time protection ON.

Seems it is more responsive than SAS and MBAW.

Awaiting its first FP yet. Has anyone else tested it yet ?

2. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

I started running it 4 years ago and never had 1 problem . Running the program you are ,but not anti-virus. I use nis 2009 and have the full set up on both, never had a virus or worm invade it yet.:thumb:

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i used to use counterspy when it was v2 and i really liked it, it was a very nice and effective app. i might give it another try with v3

4. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I remember early releases of Version 2 were quite the memory hog, does it seem to be running lighter now? I'm trialing SAS right now which us infinitely light but may give Counterspy a try also...:)

5. firzen771

well ive been trying out counterspy and its very good app IMO, it also have a HIPS-like function when active protection is on which i found to be very nice feature, you can find tune the active protection to choose what it monitors, you can enable or disable things that it will keep tabs on. it is also running very light, using only 4.6mb and no noticeable slowdown as of yet, will continue testing, but so far, it looks like a keeper :D

counterspy GUI only launches when you open the app and not while it is running in the tray, plus the GUI only uses 12mb, doing a scan now and in total with the GUI and tray process it takes up only 20mb, performance seems good in this version, im very impressed. and no FP's yet :D

*EDIT*

Full System Scan is a bit on the slow side, definitely slower than SAS or MBAM, so far that is the only downside i have found. 48 mins and 32 secs in total compared to SAS 20 mins

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  6. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Does CounterSpy "cease to work" after the "x-day trial period"? Seems I've heard that in the past....and that if you want it to continue to "update definitions and remove infections"....you have to pay for it. It would be nice if it could be used like MBAM or SAS as an "on demand scanner only" without the real-time protection.....

7. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I subscribed to version 2.5.

When Sunbelt went to version 3, I could no longer update version 2.5.

Version 3 is really a different program, same name, but quite different.

Several versions of '3' have been released. At one time, it recommended that I installed it with active protection disabled because it detected McAfee software on my computer, suggesting I use it as an on-demand scanner. Which did not make sense to me, since there are a number of good and free on-demand scanners.

Do you still get the recommendation to disable active protection if you run an antivirus program ?

8. firzen771

Using with avira premium and active protection and no probs here

9. Fly

Fly Registered Member

But when you tried to install Counterspy (assuming you installed Avira first), did you get some kind of warning regarding your Avira product ?

10. Fly

Fly Registered Member

'Real-time protection on'

I don't know the latest version, but do you also have 'on access' enabled, and did you have other security software on your computer when you installed Counterspy 3 ?

11. firzen771

Yes i did get a warning, forget exactly wat it sai but i pressed okay and all was fine, no conflicts

12. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, all:

What I mean " real time protection on " is Active protection on.

Yes, I remembered when counter spy was installed, it did alert about McAfee antivirus's presence, also suggesting the removal of Window Defender.

With counter spy's active protection ON, I run OP firewall, McAfee virus scan 8.7i enterprise version, manutu and ZA's force field (replacing Sandboxie), and so far so good. O/S is WinXp sp3.

13. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Anyone who knows care to answer this?

14. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

According to the FAQ:

"After the expiration you can scan but not delete spyware any more."

15. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

The latest version of CounterSpy can be run realtime with another AV. You still get the warning when you install but you are given the opportunity to uncheck the box 'check files when they are opened or copied'. This particular function is the job of an AV and unticking it prevents conflicts. Realtime protection is still substantial even with this feature off.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.