SUMo : Keep your software up to date

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kyle_Katarn, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Thank you !!

2. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

SUMo - 3.14 (Released 2015-06-15)
    =================================

http://www.kcsoftwares.com

3. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

A minute ago, it was still sumo_lite.exe 3.13.10.265 being offered.

4. Stupendous Man

A minute ago, I tried again, and now sumo_lite.exe version 3.14.0.266 is offered.
    Thank you very much. :thumb:

5. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

You're welcome !

Changes in the core for detection of Adobe Flash products (in order to better support Chromium/Opera plug ins). Potential regressions, and feedback is welcome ! :)

6. Stupendous Man

No issues, so far. :)
    Although, one thing that I noticed was that, in my Administrator account, SUMo didn't offer a scan request the first run after update.
    However, next, in my standard user account, SUMo correctly did offer a scan request the first run after the update.
    Definitely not a real issue that in my Administrator account SUMo didn't offer a scan request after update, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

7. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

That's not expected :-(
    Would you please open a ticket for this here ?
    Not a big issue, but worth being investigated (as some other tickets exist around this function)

8. Stupendous Man

Where, exactly, and how?
    Perhaps you can do that? That would be appreciated.
    Feel free to copy the contents of my previous posts as contents for that ticket:

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Working w/o problems on Windows 10 Insider Preview.

10. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

may i get a log from a Windows 10 Preview user ? (please send to contact [@] kcsoftwares.com )

11. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Hi !

Bug reports & feature requests can be proposed here : http://www.kcsoftwares.com/bugs/
    I've opened a ticket for you here : http://www.kcsoftwares.com/bugs/view.php?id=2893

By doing so, you're automatically notified of the progress of the workflow (investigation ongoing, fix found & implemented in next release,....). We can also use the "notes" to interect of some more details are required to progress on some investigations.

12. Stupendous Man

Thanks very much, Kyle.
    As you opened the ticket, you'll follow up on it, I suppose. That's fine with me.
    If it were something that I regarded as a (more) important issue, and my follow up was needed with it, I should have opened a ticket myself, but in this case I think it's best that you handle it.

With the next SUMo build I'll let you know here at Wilders if a SUMo scan request is offered the first run after update or not. Please ask for it in case I forget.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You mean SUMo.log? Sent.

14. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Thanks !!

15. Stupendous Man

Because of analysis of an unrelated issue, I restored my system to a June 10 system image.
    As a result, I needed to update SUMo 3.13.10.265 to 3.14.0.266, again.
    This time, first run after update, SUMo correctly offered the normal scan request,
    So, the fact that, June 15, SUMo didn't offer a scan request the first run after update, may have been a one time glitch.

16. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

OK, thanks for the details, this will be helpful for sure !

17. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

SUMo - 4.0 (Released 2015-07-05)
    ================================

As you can see the main change is that SUMo now updates itself automatically on top of long lasting feature request such as "custom locations" to be added to the scan list.

The "self update" require a "SUMo PRO" licence, but the rest of the product remains totally free, like in v3.x versions. This is just a "premium" time saving feature for registered users.

This version comes with many fixes & improvement, so as usual, your feedback is welcome !

18. Stupendous Man

Thank you very much, Kyle.

As for my feedback:
    First - The minor issue that I reported June 15, and that didn't occur when I installed 3.14.0.266 on June 27, that didn't occur after installation and opening 4.0.0.267, so I guess the June 15 issue must've been a one time glitch.

Secondly - I was a little concerned about the 'mayor update' 4.0.0.267.
    Would I have to make a lot of new settings to set SUMo to my personal wishes?
    Not at all. :)
    All previous settings were kept with 4.0.0.267 and no new settings were needed. Nice job. :thumb:

The only thing new that I noticed, is the little "Thank you" screen with closing SUMo, that offers shortcuts to bug tracker and KC Softwares Forums, and an offer to buy SUMo PRO. Perhaps some may call it a 'nag screen', but I think it's a polite and clean way to mention that KC Softwares would welcome the user's financial support by buying a SUMo PRO license.
    However, I think one aspect is a rather confusing. That's the fact that the "Thank you" screen says "In order to support development, and enjoying more functions please purchase SUMo PRO", but nowhere is mentioned what "more functions" means. Anyhow, I wasn't able to find such information in the program or at the KC Softwares website. This may be something that could be improved in the "Thank you" screen and at the "Buy SUMo PRO" page.
    EDIT:
    I notice that the SUMo web page says "SUMo PRO adds automatic self-update capabilities to SUMo."
    However, the "Get SUMo PRO"/ "Buy SUMo PRO" page does not say anything about that or about "more functions".
    If anyone decides to buy a SUMo PRO license, thinking this will offer "more functions", as the SUMo "Thank you" screen says, one might feel mislead if only automatic self-update capabilities to SUMo is offered.
    As I said, I think this may be something that could be improved in the "Thank you" screen and at the "Buy SUMo PRO" page.

Thanks very much once again
    and best regards

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  19. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Thank you for your quick and detailed feedback.... as good as it always is :)

Regarding your glitch, i'll keep on "monitoring" this issue. Should it apepar again, export SUMo log file immediately and open a bug report for deeper investigation.

v4.0 settings are 100% backward compatible, so you don't have to change anything to keep the same user experience. The "new" setting are the optionnal custom location that can be added (e.g. in order to scan a local folder with portable apps,....)

Regarding the "thank you" window, i'll try make it more explicit in next versions.
    At that time, only 2 things come "on top" with PRO version :
    - Automatic self update of SUMo (to be tested with deployment of v4.0.1 soon). See http://www.kcsoftwares.com/bugs/ for Roadmaps with 4.0.1 / 4.1 expected content.
    - Capability to switch off the "Thank you" window ("hide this window" checkbox)

20. max2

max2 Registered Member

Hi Kyle I just noticed there was a SUMo Pro now! Does the auto update feature automatically update just SUMo or all apps ?

21. Stupendous Man

According to the SUMo page and also according to Kyle's previous post, it's "automatic self-update" of SUMo, thus I suppose it is only SUMo that can be automatically updated.

22. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

You're perfectly right, as usual :)

23. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

SUMo - 4.0.1 (Released 2015-07-10)
    ==================================

24. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

25. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.