SUMo : Keep your software up to date

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kyle_Katarn, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Thank you for contributing to the discussion faster than i could :)

Nothing to add, everything's clear.

2. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Of course.
    But there's nothing wrong with SUMo detecting those updates, so you can go to the manufacturer's site to download.

Not always.
    Not everyone wants in-built updaters activated in all applications that offer that option.
    I use it for some software, but for some I don't.
    Update checkers like SUMo are very useful for those applications in which I have it's in-built updater disabled.

I use several mechanisms to check for updates. I don't rely on just one mechanism.
    I use in-built update checkers for some software, I check a series of websites like for instance FileHippo, SnapFiles and Neowin, I use SUMo (for checking, not for downloading), and just to be sure I perform a weekly Secunia PSI scan. Apart from Microsoft updates, which I install through Windows Update, and a few other softwares that I update through its in-built updaters, I download and install most other updates manually from the manufacturer's sites, not through update checkers/managers/updaters.
    I know this can be too much of a hassle for most users, but for those who prefer it this way, SUMo is a nice addition in the total update checking plan.

Yes, but I think the same should apply to most if not all update checkers.
    I would not trust update managers to find or install updates automatically. Not SUMo, but not the other update checkers also. Only for checking.

3. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

Looks like SUMo isn't the only app that is worth investigating... interested in PortExpert and RAMExpert.

4. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Thanks ! Any feedback on these ? Have you seen their dedicated threads here ?

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@Kyle_Katarn

These software need updates according to Sumo. sumo.PNG
    But I could find these nowhere. Not with Google nor with any other sites listed in the Sumo update page. Please help me find the updates.

6. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Disregard these items in SUMo. The both are parts of Intel and Realtek bundle which are installed on your PC. Updating only these parts can lead to a PC crash. Audio, graphic and others should be updated only as the whole bundle, not separate parts.

7. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Yes, you can select both and click on "Ignore"

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Thanks Kyle and Petr. :thumb:

9. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

You're welcome :)

10. pegas

pegas Registered Member

@Kyle_Katarn
    Would it be possible to exclude such parts of bundles (Intel, Realtec, AMD etc.) from SUMO? You know, some users could follow SUMO's results what might bring them surprises.

11. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Sure, use the "Ignore" function.

12. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Sorry I wasn't entirely accurate, I meant if you can adjust SUMo so that it won't identify such parts of the bundles at all.

13. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

14. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Unfortunately I don't have an account so I can't do that. It's fine if anyone registered will do that.

15. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

16. Stupendous Man

@Kyle_Katarn

There seems to be something not quite right with beta flagging.

Last week, last Tuesday, I reported Eraser 6.2.0.2963 (or 6.1.0.2963) as beta, by e-mail. That seemed to work, some time later it did no longer show up in SUMo "Check" results. However, last Wednesday it showed up again and I reported as beta again, and some time later it did no longer show up in SUMo "Check" results. But last Thursday it showed up again and I reported as beta once more. Then you replied to my e-mail and Eraser 6.2.0.2963 was correctly flagged as beta.

The same thing has been going on with HWiNFO32 and with HitmanPro.Alert.

HWiNFO32 4.5.1.0 I reported as beta, yesterday, Saturday 7, some time later it did no longer show up in SUMo "Check" results. Then it showed up again and I reported again, also yesterday, and a while later it did no longer show. And then it showed up again and I reported again, today.

HitmanPro.Alert 3.0.25.143 I reported as beta, February 1, some time later it did no longer show up in SUMo "Check" results. But then it was back again, yesterday, Saturday 7, and I reported again, and some time time later it did no longer show. But then, the same day, yesterday, it showed up again and I reported again, and later it did no longer show. But then it showed up again and I reported again, today.

So, there seems to be something not quite right with beta flagging.

What is it that is happening?
    I have seen the same kind of phenomenon before.

It seems that betas are not flagged as beta, but disappear from SUMo "Check" results for some other reason, and a while later they re-appear.

This is not terrible, but it is annoying, as the user keeps on reporting the same betas over and over again.

I hope you can find the cause of this issue and I hope you can find a fix for it.

Thank you very much
    and best regards

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  17. Stupendous Man

I don't understand why there was no reply to my Sunday, February 8 post.
    If you're on vacation, Kyle, I hope you have a nice time.
    If you're down with the flu, I hope you'll get better soon.

18. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Hi !

I'm back from my 1 week holidays with NO access to internet nor emails (how good it was :) )

Eraser : Now fixed and should no longer flag > 6.0 as current. Do you confirm it is OK ?
    HWiNFO32 : Fixed
    HitmanPro.Alert : Fixed

Beta flagging is done "manually" by myself + a bunch of "super users" who are helping me to keep both servers (main + alternate) up to date with beta versions.
    Should any of you want to participate, please send me a PM :)

19. Stupendous Man

I reckon it was very good. :)
    And I'm glad you were on holiday, and not down with the flu.

All confirmed, thanks very much.

Yes, I know.
    But of course I didn't know you were on holiday.
    And I suppose the "super users" didn't receive my beta report e-mails, or there were some issues with flagging?

Thanks. I'll give it some thought.

20. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

I'm the only one to receive "beta" emails at that stage.
    I'll improve that soon.

Thanks !

21. Stupendous Man

Ah, I see.
    And that would be great, thanks.

22. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

OK, i'll let you know :)

23. Stupendous Man

@Kyle_Katarn

Regarding beta flagging,

Concerning the beta report for Adblock Plus for IE, beta version 1.3.763.0,
    last Saturday, per e-mail, you replied "Fixed", so I supposed you flagged that one as beta.
    However, later that day, it showed up in SUMo "Check" results again, and I sent another beta report. Later it no longer showed up in SUMo "Check" results, but Monday it was back and I reported again. Later it no longer showed up, but today it is back again and I reported again.

Perhaps something was wrong with beta flagging last Saturday, or the beta flag for Adblock Plus for IE magicly disappeared, or ... perhaps beta flagging is inconsistent for the SUMo server and the second SUMo server?
    Do you need to put the beta flags on both servers separately? I that case you might have missed one.

Anyhow, I hope you can find the cause of this issue and I hope you can find a solution for it.

Thank you very much
    and best regards

24. Stupendous Man

@Kyle_Katarn
    The same thing Wednesday and Thursday.
    This system of reporting betas and you (Kyle) flagging them as betas definitely has its flaws as beta flagging doesn't happen if you're absent or otherwise don't find the time for it.

25. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

OK, i'll check :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.