Summer Soltice - what will you be doing today/tonite?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by chachazz, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

Summer Solstice http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/midi/sportlich/a018.gif

In 2005, summer begins June 21, 2:46 A.M. EDT (06:46 UT) - (Woo-Hoo!)

Solstice comes from the Latin (sol, sun; sistit, stands). For several days before and after each solstice, the sun appears to stand still in the sky—that is, its noontime elevation does not seem to change.

In the Northern Hemisphere the longest day and shortest night of the year occur on this date, marking the beginning of summer.

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/solstice.html

Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

Sacrificing virgins.

4. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

I will be waiting in my Bermudas..counting off the seconds for the LowWaterMark to align the full MOON :D :D

Moon and Sun Pattern for 2005

The phases of the moon offer the opportunity, once a month, to move through a complete cycle, from darkness to promise to fullness to decline and finally darkness again. The sun, moving in its much longer rhythm of the year, offers a similar pattern, from the darkness of winter through the promise of spring, the fullness of summer, the decline of autumn and finally the darkness of winter again.

If we compare the moon cycle to the sun’s longer rhythm, we correlate the first quarter moon with spring, the full moon with summer, the waning moon with autumn and the dark moon with winter. Using these correspondences, each of the eight moon phases matches one of the eight great seasonal feasts on the Wheel of the Year. So the Winter Solstice has the same energy as the dark moon and the Summer Solstice corresponds to the Full Moon.

Of course, the lunar cycle and the solar cycle are rarely in sync. So there are only one or two occasions during a year when the energy of the sun and moon are well-matched. But one of my teachers, Haragano, taught me to look for the closest moon phase and consider that when choosing a date for celebrating a seasonal holiday. The waxing moon brings a rising energy to those solar holidays on the waxing side of the year just as the waning moon may be more appropriate for those on the dark side of the year.

For ritual purposes, some folks like to schedule a ceremony for the closest full moon to maximize the energy. The best match this year falls on Summer Solstice, when the moon is full the day after.

http://www.schooloftheseasons.com/moonsun.html

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  5. toadbee

toadbee Registered Member

Those Lunar cycles have always baffled me :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

6. tashi

tashi Spyware Expert

I will be trusting my APC UPS takes me through the *summer* thunderstorms overhead right now and I emerge tomorrow with computer unfried. ;)

7. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

It's very unusual to have the Summer Solstices AND a Full Moon at the same time.

Much energy is generated during that time, not just ending with the Solstice but going on for the months of Summer, so plan wisely to use the energy! [​IMG]

June 21,2005

"Summer Solstice. The Sun enters Cancer at 1:46 a.m. early this morning and Summer begins. What's interesting and somewhat rare is that there will also be a Full Moon tonight. Full Moons bring a time of harvest and the end of something. This Summer season will carry the Full Moon energy over the duration suggesting a time of powerful conclusions, perhaps the end of a long search in your life, in the months ahead.

Morning hours are best for chores and calls although reactions may be intense as the Moon meets powerful Pluto at 10:34 a.m. Caution lights come on a minute later as the Moon turns V/C until she enters Capricorn at 9:52 p.m.

Stick to routine when the Moon is V/C and pay extra attention to the kids and critters.

The Full Moon becomes exact at 11:14 p.m. this evening.

Coyotes and sirens tonight. The lovers will be out, too. As times change."

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Probably typing away at wilders :D ;)

9. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

no moon gazing this solstice, thick heavy stormy rain clouds! :(

10. BeetleBoss

BeetleBoss She who posts lots of <I>Smileys</I>

11. Valkyri001

Valkyri001 Registered Member

:D I know this is somewhat late, but this is what we were doing. :D

Attached Files:

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Good luck guys :D:D:D

Its no longer summer here - the monsoon has started! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.