Suggestions please

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Kees1958, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

This evening I am giving away a PC to a friend. The security has to be freeware (otherwise he would have bought the PC, I know quality has a price). He is a complete PC illiterate (his old 2 x 20 MB drives contained about 20 or so infections of which 4 really bad).

So this is what I thought

Antivir free or AOL free + Spyware Terminator + GeSWall free

or

Avast free (AV + AS) + CyberHawk or PrevX2

He is behind a router (no outbound protection)

Please keep in mind that the PC is AMD Athlon 64 3400+ with 1 Gig memory

On demand scanners:
    - SAS free (for spyware)

Any suggestions (please suggest real time packages as listed above, and individual on demand applications) are very welcome.

Thanks

K

2. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

How prepared is he to take on the learning needed to operate the security software? (And this doesn't need to be that much.Just a bit of web-sense, really.)
    If he's not, then any security applications loaded are only going to defer the inevitable, I'm thinking.
    If he's prepared to update applications and do a scan now and then, that could go a long way to helping.
    SpywareTerminator, installed in "beginner" mode, will give pretty reasonable protection, but to get the better level of protection offered by the HIPS feature requires answering popups correctly.
    A two way firewall, ditto, but fairly important if he's prone to getting malware.
    SAS is a very good demand scanner, problem free, not too many FP's.
    Consider also Comodo Boclean anti trojan.

I'm using all freeware myself, and have been malware free since doing so, but the learning curve is definitely a factor in addressing popups and FP's correctly.
    If he's prepared and able to learn any of those you've suggested should help a lot.
    If not....might be best to advise him to absolutely not run any important applications, like credit card transactions, or store important personal files that aren't encrypted.
    Because he will get infected.

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Kee1958,

What OS will be used?

If your friend is a complete PC illiterate, you'll need approaches that do not require any or require minimal user input. Things that do come to mind to do or weigh in configuring....
    • Depending upon their ISP, a normally paid for version of an AV or suite may be available free. You should check this out.
    • Have the default logon a limited user account. Provide an administrative level account under another name.
    • Do you have an idea of the usage style? Simple surfing and e-mail? Something more complicated?
    • You probably don't want to go beyond free AV + "other" where "other" is really a bit of a backup measure. There are plenty of different approaches one can take - examples would include PrevX2 or BOClean, some type of virtualization approach (say Returnil or Sandboxie), the free versions HIPS/execution control applications (SSM, PG, etc.), and so on.
    • To keep temp flotsam in check, I'd probably install CCleaner and create a scheduled task to sweep out the TIF and other temp locations on a somewhat regular basis (daily, weekly, whatever makes sense) using the /AUTO command line parameter and set to run during off hours. Having this installed also provides a simple tool to deal with errant autostart entries and so on. Don't load up on all of these, just the one that seems to make the most sense.
    • Install ProcessExplorer to have something that can be used with direction over the phone or via chat if needed.
    • Use something other than IE as the default browser.
    • Have a Winsock repair utility ready to go if needed.
    That short list occurs without thinking about it in too detailed a fashion.

Blue

4. Kees1958

Guys,

I am sorry, the OS will Windows XP, he understands that he needs to update his AV or AS. I think that for instance spyware terminator's HIPS will be to much asked.

Thx

5. Kees1958

Blue, sorry I had to be more specific,

OS = Windows XP Home Sp2, ISP only provides checking of e-mails.

I have had set up at our home PC's a limited account. Problem woth most AV's is that they require administrator rights and users tend to forget to update. That is why I was thing about GeSWall free.

Backup will be external hard drive + MaxxBlast for OS (Maxtor disk thus free).

I will instaal the usual stuff (safeXP, CC cleaner, SpywarBlaster, ScriptDefender).

6. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Kees,

I set up my daughters box for as little interaction on her part as possible. I maintain the machine as much as I can, but for the most part shes on her own.

Comodo FW: Set up can be done over the phone

Spyware Doctor Lite: part of Google Pack: http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer.html?hl=en&gl=us
    Only install what you need. Set to scan & update daily

Avira AV Free: set to scan / update daily

jkDeFrag: Weekly Daily DeFrag via task scheduler

K9 Web Protection: http://www.k9webprotection.com/
    This app is generally used as a "net nanny" type app. But there is a setting to just prevent spy / malware sites. I give it 4 Stars.

Admin Account w/ Tweak UI: AutoLogon
    The benefits of a password protected admin account w/o having to type your PW.

Used to have Spyware Terminator & Cyberhawk, but she would always disable them. (Don't ask me why??)

hth,

...screamer

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  7. Kees1958

Guys, thanks

Learned a few new aps.

I used to know some sites (castle cops, spyware warriors) in which a lot of freeware security products were listed. Since I figured out set up which suited the using habits of my wife and son, I stopped looking for the 'best' (which is very addictive as is testing your own set up against malware) and removed them from my favourites.

Thx

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I'm in a similar position with a family member, but no new computers. He found a trojan with Spyware Doctor (to be uninstalled), and began scanning with Avast!.
    He asked for help, and as i started to mess with it, here's what i instinctively did:
    Downloaded Spybot, Firefox, AVG AS, A2 free, SAS, Process Explorer, What's Running.
    Installed Spybot, updated, imunized, and scanned. Installed FF while waiting, with NoScript, CookieSafe and ForecastFox Enhanced (to provide him the appeal to use it).
    Spybot detected weird settings - i checked the firewall, removed remote assist. from exceptions etc.

Right now, i'm also stuck. AVG AS is running the "you got no choice" trial period, so he has AV+AS. Both good.
    He does not download just like that, he is cautious, etc. It's business mainly on the PC. I suspect the usual: IE7. He does have at least one thing that could need IE. I got FF in front of him, he actually prefers it (visibly not a hog as IE). But IE is set. Time will tell.

If he keeps with IE7, i'm thinking: GW / DW / BOClean / Prevx2 /AVG AS / A2 AM. Almost all paid.
    But one thing only, simple to use and effective. Quite. Hard to choose, because it's not for me. If it were me, a new OS. Or all freeware. For him, i don't know.

9. Kees1958

On my wife's PC is running (she needs IE7 also for specific music pay sites):

1. Antivir free with heuristics high, check only on write
    2. A2 Malware with behaviorblocking (with intelligent false positive option on and a rules created to block the nag screen of Avira free and CMD, Format and NTVDM).
    3. DefenseWall

Quite, easy, fast, no problems for 70 dollars initial and 30 dollar renewal I think it is good value.

10. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

If going with IE7 you may want to consider Spyware Blaster and Drop My Rights. Both are very easy to stay on top of. With SB there is a monthly manual update.

Plus, there is an offer for Cyberhawk Pro for free from PC Tools if a PC Tools product owner. I downloaded it about a 4 weeks ago figuring it would revert to the non-pro version but it has not.

http://www.novatix.com/cyberhawk/free/

11. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Spybot does immunizing also, i don't know if i'll add SB. DropMyRights sure is a good suggestion, but i don't think it survives privilege escalation (something like that). GW or DW would be better imo.
    Cyberhawk, imho, is not ready. A typical user will not know how to answer questions with little or no info. I can't recommend it. :doubt:

12. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Defense Wall, Returnil, and SuperAntiSpyware on demand on a clean install = least amount of know how for novice IMO.

13. Doc Serenity

Doc Serenity Registered Member

I had similar problems a while ago.
    Used/using Antivir, Comodo Pro firewall, Spywareblaster, AVG AS free, SAS AS free and Prevx. Browsers are Firefox, Opera and IE7(if it's really needed).
    Other than Prevx, they're all pretty easy to use and don't require constant monitoring. Prevx can be set to be easy to use but I have no experience with it set that way.
    Good luck.
    Doc

14. Kees1958

For novice I would advice Antivir Free + A2 (with IDS) + DefenseWall
    I am giving away a PC to a friend, it has to be freeware. I will have a look at Returnil

Thanks Y&C

15. Kees1958

Hi all thanks.

I settled for Avast free (only free AV with same AS as paid version) plus CyberHawk free 2.04 with hardware firewall

NB will play a bit with Returnil for myself

Regards Kees

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.