suggestions for the next version of TDS

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by hoju, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulson

paulson Registered Member

2. dallen

dallen Registered Member

paulson,
    I corrected the grammatical error that you pointed out. Your Canadian girlfriend is correct in assessing my origin. My spelling is horrible, I'll concede to that.

Jooske,
    Thanks for you input. I was thinking that was the case, but I must admit that I'm not well versed in Australian slang. The real question is are there cultures in which "bloody" and/or "crap" are truly offensive. Maybe one culture's acceptible slang is another culture's curse word. Or maybe paulson is overly sensitive, but I find that unlikely. As anyone, Canadian or otherwise, that is able to watch Mike Tyson can't be that sensitive. :D

3. wayne_b

wayne_b Registered Member

I am a recent newcomer to TDS-3 (May 2004) I never had much of an issue with TDS-3 including the GUI. I find the interface easy to navigate for the items I find relevant. Any Q I need answering, the Help file answered most if not all of the questions.
    Basically, set and forget ;) except for the occasional manual scan. I like the options even if I don’t use some of them! At least it is there if and when I may need them :)

I can’t see where TDS-4 could improve on TDS-3 unless DiamondCS knows of newer Trojan variants that require a new interface? Guess we will find out soon enough.

-wayne

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Thanks for the correct link, my last visit on the other was some time ago :)

5. paulson

paulson Registered Member

@ dallen: Good (grim) sense of humour man! :D

back to "suggestions..." if you're working with multiple TDS-windows open, f.e. TCP inspector, localhost scaner and others it would be more easy to handle if there will be a possibility to select them via "alt + tab" or the systray 'cause sometimes they get lost in the background.

Btw Tyson got knocked out in the 4th round, how he's in real deep trouble and I'm off for the weekend.
    Cheers and have fun
    paulson

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

TDS and the forums should really contains some cultural info and links; just surfed on this one http://www.australiablog.com/
    see the boxing kanga image on the right which original was some 20 meters high mascot when Australia won the America's Cup in 1983 and around that time the song "Land down yunder" was a big hit.
    In the DiamondCS forum at the site is more culture between the messages, including a ss3 script of Peedy singing that song via TDS.

7. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Paulson,
    I asked one of my girlfriends (she's as American as I) w.t.h. did he want to say to me? She said "this guy must be a Canadian Indian. I think they say 'How' when the mean 'Hello'." :-*

If you mean now=> how ; your statement couldn't be more true.

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

So you would like a translation engine (with language settings to chose from Canadian English, Aussie English, US English, UK English) and a knocking (smack!) the hacker included in the TDS-4?

9. md411

md411 Registered Member

It be great if TDS4 could detect if a computer has been compromised by a rootkit...

10. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

TDS4 Will have new engines but in the case of rootkits prevention is far better than cure, hopefully TDS4 will be able to at least prevent them:) Having said that, one of the reasons why Process Guard was developed was because of these new VERY dangerous threats.
    My guess is that there will be far greater integration of DCS products but with a modular approach rather than a one does all - We have to wait and see :D

11. md411

md411 Registered Member

12. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

No current rootkit can be installed if you block services/drivers from being installed. The new version will be out soon which will ensure that any newer tricks they try to pull will fail too :)

13. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

In addition to Gavin's comments.
    And as far as I know rootkits require the facility to be able to inject a .dll into another programs memory space - Process Guard prevents this providing that you have the General option 2 enabled.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2004
  14. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

You dont need any general protection options to stop DLL injection, all listed processes are protected from DLL injection as an injector needs WRITE access

DLL rootkits need this access, and usually a system process like winlogon.exe is the target. Its a good idea to add protection for all internet-enabled apps though :)

DRIVER rootkits (true system level rootkits) need to install a driver :)

15. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I'll just add, the 2 least common DLL injection methods are covered with General Protection Options. As long as you have APP_INIT blocked and Global Hooks, you are covered pretty much 100%.

16. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thanks for the clarification guys :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.