Suggestions for rotation scheme?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by davekolb, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davekolb

davekolb Registered Member

Does anyone have suggestions or examples for how to implement a rotation scheme for the TI 9.0 home version? I feel it would be quite valuable if a rotation scheme was incorporated into TI itself. Primarily this would mean supporting the adding of dynamic timestamps into the backup directory and file names and doing some file maintenance. A white paper describing how to use the TI system in various scenarios would also be much appreciated.

I tested some with the 9.1 workstation trial and if you use the backup server it had some ability to automatically switch from full to incremental and purging and merging files but was too buggy so am staying with the 2337 version of 9.0 as the later 3567 build of that version also seems to have some issues per various posts with taking much much longer to do a backup.

What I would like to be able to do is something like:

- take a new full backup once a week with the date as part of the name of the containing directory and backup set
    - take daily incrementals for the current full backup other days of the week
    - copy any new backup files to my FTP server immediately after they are made
    - purge older sets of backup on the local system so my disk does not fill up
    - keep various sets of backup on my FTP system - i.e. daily for a week, weekly for a month, monthly for a quarter, quarterly for a year. I could do this manually though.

Would be nice if some sort of rotation was builtin to the home TI system.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. flekstor

flekstor Registered Member

3. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Dave you will have to "pick a number" so-to-speak. I would be happy to have Acronis fix the run-of-the-mill features first.

Flek, ha ha ... I happened to quote that same link to someone else earlier.

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

5. davekolb

davekolb Registered Member

Thanks, some good ideas for a batch file. It would have to be modified since I backup in 4G chucks for movement to DVD and have more than one such file. Would be easiest if I just wrote a C# program to do this I guess if Acronis is unlikely to add such a needed feature. Another issue with their pre/post commands is that their service launches the processes and does so in a fashion that they are not visible on the current desktop so if they hang you have to kill the entire TI process tree. There are ways to make processes launched by a service visible within the current desktop.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello davekolb,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that in this case you will need to create a new schedule for each weekly backup set. This is because the incremental backups depend on full backup and if you change/rename the full backup you will not be able to restore the data to the moment of the incremental backups creation.

If you want us to change the behaviour of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product, please feel free to post any of your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.