Suggestions for replacements for Adaware Please

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by HelpFromFrance, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HelpFromFrance

HelpFromFrance Registered Member

I would like to replace Adaware, I am getting tired of almost each file definition update, the false positives. I have had 2 more today, seems like this is the norm now. I have SpyBot S1D, AVG Internet Security and was wondering what some of you would suggest as an on demand scanner to replace Adaware?

Thanks,
    HelpFromFrance

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

SAS free without any doubt.

3. HelpFromFrance

aigle,

Don't mean to be dumb, but did a search for SAS and got a lot of airlines ;) , but nothing that looked like scan software, is that short for something?

Thanks,
    HelpFromFrance

4. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

SuperAntiSpyware.:)

http://www.superantispyware.com/?tag=SUPERANTISPYWARE

5. HelpFromFrance

6. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Myself I have been using the free version since 4-5 month without any problems or conflict. And it is definitely much better than AdAware.

You may also want to take a look at Spyware Terminator.

http://www.spywareterminator.com/

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

No problems here.

8. HelpFromFrance

aigle,

Have you had a lot of false positives with SAS? I have had a lot with Adaware lately and it has me upset. I know you cannot avoid false postives all the time, but lately with Adaware it is almost every other update that brings some. I am getting where I don't trust it and afraid I will miss a real spyware, thinking it another one of their false positives.

Thanks again,
    HelpFromFrance

9. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Been using SAS free for a few weeks. I just scan once a week or so. No FPs so far and no issues.:)

10. HelpFromFrance

Thanks,

Testing it right now and it looks good, but still like hearing other people's experiences.

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Personally i never got a spyware/ adware on my system with any AS scanner.
    I have not heard of false positives by SAS here at Wilders, so I guess it is goood in this regard and most imp it has very good support and forums as well.
    I have got rid of Spybot and Adaware since long-- replaced by SAS and AVG antispyware.

12. HelpFromFrance

aigle,

Think I am going to go the route you have gone. I have AVG Internet Security, that has the package of Firewall, Anti-virus and Anti-spy. I will more than likely add SAS and dump Adaware. They fixed 1 of the false positives just now, but missed the other. I am getting tired of not knowing what is real and what is false positive and want something more reliable. Thanks so much to all for your help.

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

13. HelpFromFrance

aigle,

Here is a screen shot of the way I have the scan options set up, does this look like it is OK or are there things that should be changed. I wondered about scaning only "executable" files, should that be set to scan all files?

Thanks again,
    HelpFromFrance

Attached Files:

14. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I don't see why you should replace Ad-Aware. You can simply supplement it or fortify it with another scanner. As an on-demand tool, it will merely tax a few MB of your hard disk space. And you don't have to run it. Or disinfect what you find.
    Personally, if asked, I'd recommend Spybot, Ewido and A2. You can probably try SuperAntiSpyware as well, although I'm just sampling it and haven't really decided yet.
    Mrk

15. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I've used Adaware for over a year and haven't come across any FP issues. In fact, the program did not detect a trojan file and sometimes missed a few items when compared with other antispyware scanners. The one thing that I can say when comparing scan results between programs is that they almost never agree when you use all of them to scan your PC.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I wonder how many scannners u can run on ur sytem. All of these scanners take time for manual updates, scanning and then if they find something false, to investigate it. I like to have few good scanners only rather than a long list of scanners. So I personally think two on-demand scanners are enough. If I have to choose two free on-demand scanners I will choose SAS and Ewido rather than Spybot or Adaware( other may like veice versa).
    He has Ewido in real time so addition of just one scanner will be enough in my opinion, however if he is not a safe surfer, I am sure that even dozens of scanners can,t clean his system. Infact I believe the real time protection should be the strongest, once real time scanner is bypassed, malware can do much before u can pick it up by on-demand scanners and try to remove it if you are lucky enough.

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am not so expert with it but ofcourse all files scanning will take much time with very little chance of finding any real malware, so I use default scan settings.( I have set Opera and Firefox to clear cookies on shutdown and use CCleaner to clean IE cookies, so even cooki scan is not must for me).
    If u need more detailed help, I will suggest you to post in their forum or wait here until some other user gives his opinion.
    thanks.

18. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

If your AVG antispy is the free one, ie realtime will stop after 30 days, give Spyware Terminator a try. I've found it does an excellent job of blocking...almost anything, depending on how it is configured. It also is a realtime scanner, but free. Running the latest Beta, no problems so far, good info and support on the forums.http://www.spywareterminator.com/
    http://forum.spywareterminator.com/

19. HelpFromFrance

aigle,

Thank you, yes I am a very safe surfer, maybe even too safe. As you said since I have AVG Internet Security in real time (full paid version), I was wanting just an on-demand scanner to run each day. Seems as though SAS will answer the quesiton. Thanks for your advice.

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

20. HelpFromFrance

ccsito,

Thank you, my problem with Adaware lately is that I and others have had false postives a lot in the last 6 weeks of updates. What concerns me is not the ocassional FP, but when you get them almost all the time, at that point you don't know whether to believe the program or not. Since it has shown so many FP's lately, what happens if it shows something real and we say, "oh another FP", and in reality it is not.

I know that no program can catch everything and no program is perfect. I am sure they all have their share of FP's, but getting them almost each update is just too much for me.

Thanks for your input,
    HelpFromFrance

21. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Add another comment in favor of SUPER AntiSpyware as a replacement scanner for AdAware.
    I haven't had a single f/p yet.No troubles with it.

I take it that you have AVG AS already.
    That would leave one other alternative scanner from me;
    A-Squared.This program has been trouble-free for me also.

22. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

23. HelpFromFrance

Tester,

Thanks for your thoughts, as of now looks like I will go for SAS. Seems good, but want to do some more testing.

Thanks
    HelpFromFrance

24. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

If you keep getting FP, then I would also be a bit suspicious about the program. Yes, no program is perfect and can catch everything. Otherwise, there would be only one program to use and everyone else can call it quits and shut down. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.