Suggestions for laptops

Discussion in 'hardware' started by m00nbl00d, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Hello all,

I'm deciding between getting a desktop or a laptop. The main task will be to create quite a few Virtual Machines and connect them all together, simulating computer networks.

So, that's something that will require quite a few hard disk space, as well as RAM memory. So, I'm talking about a 64-bit laptop or desktop.

But, I'd like to hear your opinions about 64-bit laptops. Which ones (based on your experiences) would provide the best experience, taking in special consideration quality? Also price, but mostly quality.

I still haven't looked around, but whenever I think of laptops, it comes to mind Toshiba. I don't know why. I guess it's a thing I have. :D

I know that for what I need to do, I probably would be better with a desktop, because for the same money I could get a better desktop.
    But, I must say that mobility keeps haunting me.

Thank you

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I would go for a desktop.
    my machine has an intel quad core Q6600 processer and 6gb of ram.
    I can run multiple virtualmachines at once.
    Make sure whatever you choose has a free upgrade to windows 7.

I had the same kind of problem when i wanted to buy. in the end i got a desktop because its better value for money.
    the price gap between laptops and desktops is far less than it used to be but desktops are still better value.

work out how often you are likely to move the laptop around and if its just around the house or taking it out and about. if taking out and about you will have to think about battery life,weight etc.

3. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

m00nbl00d

That network linking idea sounds like plan, and the some !

Are you going to be simulating Malware etc attacks by any chance ?

Whatever you do with them, please start a new thread and let us know what's happening.

4. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Ive got a x64 Vista Ultimate laptop and I love it. It hasnt had a single failure or even a small hiccup since Ive had it in nearly 2 years.

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    You looking to ESXi it for your virtual setup?
    I'm a die hard fan of IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad T series. Top notch standard hardware, long life, great support.

Dells Latitude and Precision series laptops also..those are their mid and upper range models. Not the home grade 1 year warranty Inspirons.

Acer also makes some great "bang for the buck" laptops. Many years ago they bought out Texas Instruments laptop division and have been making great laptops since then (despite their poor reputation years ago for the ultra el cheapo "Aspire" line of home PCs sold at mega chains such as walmart)

6. whitedragon551

Acer is still sold at Walmart and is still crap.

The reason I recommended Asus was for a few reasons.

1) Very nice standard warranty. 2 year warranty on parts and labor. 1 year warranty on accidental damage warranty, no questions asked. Covers drops, spills, surge, fire, etc. with no extra charge for the 2 year warranty or accidental damage warranty.

2) Extremely stable and well built.

3) Excellent customer service. I bought my laptop with a 32-bit OS. I called them up and asked for a 64-bit OEM disc from them even though I bought it with a 32-bit. They sent me out a 64-bit OEM Vista disc as well as the driver disc with no charge.

4) This year they scored 9xx some points for customer service. The next highest was Apple with 3xx points. They absolutely decimate all other companies service hands down.

There was a website I knew of that had tons of reviews. Ill see if I can dig that up and link you to some.

EDIT- Found the reviews.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Lenovo
    http://www.resellerratings.com/store/I_B_M
    http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Hewlett_Packard
    http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Toshiba
    http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Dell

Heres the kicker. Asus doesnt sell their laptops from factory like the others. They use a reseller program. Heres the place I bought mine. They deal specifically in high end customizable laptops and will custom build to order.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Xotic_PC

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    And how many do you support over a number of years to formulate that opinion? As a small business network consultant for nearly 10 years....I come across most of them..in high numbers, and deal with their service. I don't like working on/repairing laptops or dealing with service/support on them, so I prefer brands that give me the least problems. Acer isn't my first brand of choice for most clients, but for some clients with a budget, it fits the bill nicely. I have one large nursing home client that has a whole fleet of Acer laptops and I haven't had a problem with one yet.

Inventec and Compal make most of the components for Acers. (as well as for most other brands, AsusTek is another major OEM for other brands). Inventec and Compal also OEM most of the laptop barebone guts for HP, Dell, Toshiba, amongst other big brands.

notebookreview.com is the top neutral site for reading up on brands and reviews.

Asus is building a good track record over the past couple of years for their laptops. Relatively new to the laptop scene as selling their own brand, they have been the OEM/ODM for many other brands as well. Apple, HP, Sony, I believe Toshi too. I've only dealt with a small handful of them over the past 2 years...haven't had to use their service/support yet. I am hoping it's more available than support for their motherboards..which isn't fun, even though it's my fave brand motherboard.

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I really like big laptops, even if they're heavy, they look good and they are always portable. I've got an Asus W2P with a 17'' screen, and materials and design are tops. on the other hand one of the screen hinges cracked, and under warranty they fixed it in no time, but the service tech told me that on this model the hinges will give eventually (he even told me the average life expectancy: 16 months).

I don't think there is a perfect machine, and one that will last forever, hence it is difficult to recommend anything, but one thing for sure, HP and Asus after service have been great in my experience.

9. whitedragon551

Way more than 10 years.

10. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Bang for the buck, desktops beat laptops. Some other things to consider are heat and memory capacity.

Laptops run hot(er). It is just the nature of the beast because of their compact design. With the exception of the higher-end (= more expensive one`s) you are also limited to 2 gigs of RAM. The more expensive max out at 4 gigs.

I will agree with the general consensus on brands. Have had good experience with Lenovo, the more expensive HP and Acer models.

Also take screen size into consideration. You can usually run a laptop with 2 monitors by purchasing another LCD but then you have spent more $$$ and what have you gained if space is a problem. An additional normal mouse and keyboard can be add`d too. But I hate redundancy.

A good Desktop is easier to upgrade and just plain easier to trouble-shoot and work-on when\if needed.

A good friend of mine has a nice set-up. His tower is set on the floor out of the way and pretty much out of sight but still has enough room for good air circulation. All that sets on his desk is a 22" LCD. A wireless mouse and keyboard round it out. They sit in a slide out tray built into the desk. You don`t see any cords. Really a very clean and functional set-up over-all.

11. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Thank you all for your feedback!

In fact, since the beginning I was leaning (90%) towards a desktop. Because of all reasons some of you have already mentioned.

But, the main reason why I was leaning (10%) towards a laptop, well, was mobility. Well, I don't work that much with computers, having mobility in mind. But, it was a consideration just in case - "What if I need to go somewhere, and I'm doing some task I need to finish as soon as possible? I can't carry the desktop with me."

The best solution would be a laptop and a desktop, but, well, money can't cover everything.

I'll take you suggestions on the laptops, if in a near/distant future I'm able to get one.

I've been gathering some information on hardware, to assemble a desktop. Of course, it will be assembled in a local shop, so that the warranty is in just one place, and not divided to the various shops where I would eventually get the separate components.

When I'm finished with the list I'll provide it to you and ask your opinions.

Again, allow me to thank you for your feedback.

P.S: If you wish, you may still give your opinions. I believe they will also be useful to other users who may be considering to buy a laptop.

12. whitedragon551

With the cost of RAM these days you can buy a cheap end laptop and upgrade to 4Gbs for less than $50 including shipping on 2x2Gb kits with decent timings.

13. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Have not shopped laptops in a while. Seem`s most that I had seen in the lower end price range maxed at 2 gig because of mobo\BIOS limitations.

Then your still dealing with a smaller screen size or buying an LCD. Then you have just entered into a higher price range with the combined cost.
    If he is going to run VMs he may want to have multiple windows\Desktops open at once. Screen size, IMO, will be critical.
    Heat is an issue as well though coolers are available. They add to the additional cost again.

Laptops are nice, almost sexy, ;) and the portability is a plus. :thumb: Just do not seem to fit well for his plans of usage.

I love my desktop and laptop (though outdated by comparison. single core maxed at 2 gig). But I have been into PCs for many years. Been fortunate enough to have made friends\contacts that allow me access to many great deals. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.