Suggestion

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by rdsu, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Hi,

It's possible to implement in the future release, to protect that the "nod32kui.exe" and "nod32krn.exe" can be killed from Task Manager?

It's a nice protection that Kaspersky already have...

Thanks and keep the excelent work ;)

2. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Hello,
    I'm agree with you,
    We know that is technical impossible protect a process from being killed in a admin account, but why not try to enhance the protection like ZA and KAV?
    I know that if you want to do dangerous actions like navigate in Internet is recommend that you do all of this in a limited account, but in XP all acounts created are admin by default and the typical user doesn't know that.

3. docfleetwood

docfleetwood Registered Member

Hello all. I agree, NOD should have this ability. But just in case you didn't know, there is a program called process guard by DiamondCS that stops programs from being shut down by a variety of methods in addition to task manager - I was shocked at the number of ways this can be done. The advantage of PG is that you can protect many of your security programs that don't have the protection built in. You should check it out if you haven't seen it. Just FYI.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Even processes protected by DiamondCS or having a kind of protection implemented CAN be killed. Though it's not that easy as without protection, but it's still possible.

5. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

If you password protect Kav settings you cannot end proccess(avpm.exe) using task manager even if logged as an admin account I would like that level of protection(at least) built into NOD then at least it cannot be disabled accidentally

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I fogot to say about the password protection of Kaspersky on my first post...

I think that this is a great feature...

7. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

password protection is available with nod but it doesn't act the same way with task manager

8. sir_carew

Hi Marcos,
    Yes, you can kill the process, however while the process is more protected, better.

9. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I know steve1955, I only forgot to mention... ;)

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

So, the developers of NOD32 will make this feature into NOD32?

Thanks

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

What KAV are you talking about? I have KAV 4.5 trial on this box and all I have to do is right click on the icon in the systray and select exit. I would not want any further protection. I need to kill the AV anytime I download and install applications and KAV is much simpler on this issue than is NOD32 where you cannot just disable AMON. You have to kill NOD32 because it still runs in the background even with AMON disabled. I don't like this. I think KAV is the best AV I've tried for ease in user killing and restarting. The only thing I would like to see is the AV (KAV, NOD32,etc) do something to remind me that it is not running after X number of minutes. I believe I saw screen shots of the latest NAV that has this feature.

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I don't know if the others have the same feature, but in KAV 5.0, we can't kill the KAV using the TaskManager...

I think this is a great feature...

13. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

In the beta I have, the process can not be killed (at least casually through task manager (nod32krn.exe)). The control center/gui, however, can be killed (nod32kui.exe).

Last edited: Jul 21, 2004
  14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

But it will be very handy if we have both files protected...

15. arrowsmithmidwest

arrowsmithmidwest Registered Member

i would prefer it that we can kill those process's.
    i need to troubleshoot computers and sometimes when computers are hanging from NOD i can kill those processes mentioned above to get them running again. i know there is other ways around it, but i would prefer quickest.

16. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

I have setup in my firewall for it not to allow to kill NOD32 proces or any other without my permission. Tiny firewall 6.0

17. sir_carew

Latest released version indeed has nod32krn.exe process protected but only if you're using a limited account under NT based systems like XP or 2k. If you're logged in a administrator account, then you can kill nod32krn.exe proccess however NOD restart it service itself if NOD detect that it was killed.

18. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

So then how do you kill it completely for software installations? I don't want anything that is a hassle to kill. That is why I like KAV 4.5. I can completely kill by right click exit on its icon in the systray. That is how it should be. But it should tell after x number minutes that I need to restart it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.