Suggestion: Router Forum

Discussion in 'polls' started by Patrice, Apr 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Now having just purchased a router as of late, I would like to see a Router Forum ! :D

regards,
    bill ;)

2. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

hmm, with all those people getting connected through broadband, there is often a possibility to have a choice of cable/adsl modems. Some of them have very good router/firewall functionality. So I should say even for a single computer you would have a benefit without investment (if you know how to configure it)
    Yes, Wilders would not be complete without it.
    Well, my SpeedTough Commandline interface reference guide has nearly 300 pages and most of the possible configurations are just chinese for me.
    Dolf

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

As a part time domestic system builder, a router is the perfect enabling set up tool. I can build a new PC, power it up attached to the router, load the OS and update as the OS is loaded knowing full well that the NAT side of the router will stop any trojan access -

Should single users use a router? Yes, especially if they are on BB and do not have a clue about firewalls etc. I know most cheap routers only protect inbound but IMO that is more than half the battle as I can, at least, set up AV / AT / AdAware etc to run scheduled updates which adds further layers of protection especially for newbies.

Software firewalls are all very well but do require a certain amount of user education otherwise they can soon be made near useless by a user "allowing" everything because the firewall is felt to "get in the way" but still giving the uneducated user a false sense of security.

Rant over - Pilli

4. kraeon

kraeon Registered Member

personally, i think it would be a good idea...being that i am one of those people that need some help.

here's my question if anyone can help:

i recently aquired a hawking technology router. model pn9249. i am trying to install it on my computer. i am having trouble getting my pc to recognize it is there and working. i dont have any sort of setup disk or anything because it was a stupid hand me down. so any suggestions on what i should do to solve this problem....im not a genius about computers but i have some knowledge.

thanks.

5. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

I, too, would love to have a router forum, I am on dial-up and want more speed!

The main reason I am still on dial-up now, is I hear so many horror stories about broadband and routers and spyware, malware getting through easier - I want to know exactly what to do to avoid all that! There are other forums, of course, but I like coming here for my major info and changes.

So - YES! :)

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I would suggest a Netgear for Quality, Ease of Use and Warranty.

With Netgear it's as simple as typing into your browser (IE or Frefox etc) 192.168.0.1 it will then ask you for a Username and Password of which the Factory Default is "Admin" and "Password".

Next step is to click on the Wizard and follow the prompts.

It will ask you for your UN and PW (provided by your Broadband provider), and there we have it, you are connected at high speed behind a NAT Firewall able to have 1 or many computers connected at the same time sharing a single connection.

I'm not an expert, but I have set up dozens and dozens of Netgear Modem/Router/Firewall combo's. We tend to use and sell Netgear DG834.

And with your security and Wilders you should be fine Marja ;) :D

Cheers :D

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

try going into device manager - right-click My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager and have alook and see what it says. if it is registered there you can try and update the drivers.

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

As one who is now facing getting into this networking issue, I wholeheartily agree. If fact it might be a bit broader to make it wireless.

Pete

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

11. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Now, wireless seems even more scary to a newbie at broadband! There are alot of forums for Broadband, but, most of the people on them are speaking Martian to most of us who don't have either a router or wireless!

IMHO

Marja:cool:

12. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

D
    Yes. I know many newbies who do not give one second of thought to securtiy and I think they are fortunate that their DSL gives them a router that often contains a FW. It is cheap, quiet, and it works. Props to JImi.

13. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I could use such a forum for my router "D-link DI-604".
    I bought it, I installed it, it has a very long log, so it's seems to do something.
    Only one trouble : I don't understand anything of it.
    A router forum could tell me how to configure my router properly in the first place and what everything means in plain English.

14. Long View

Long View Registered Member

More by luck than good judgment I bought a Netgear DG834 when I changed to broadband in Sept 03. Probably the best security decision I ever made. Although I am not recommending that people remove their software security I think it is interesting that I manage to get by with Firefox , Antivir and nothing else and when I do run on demand programs they find nothing.

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

a firewalled router is my first line of defence and i think it is for alot of people.
    since getting my first firewalled router my software firewalls havent needed to do any blocking saving the cpu power for other jobs.
    the first thing i got my next door neighbour to do is buy a nat router and i set it up for him.
    they are quite cheap these days.
    i support the router forum idea
    lots of newbies have wireless routers but dont know how to set them up.
    which means there neighbours can nick there internet connection.
    so a stick made by one of the mods or members in the router forum for the most common makes of router would be very useful.
    i know how to secure routers but not everyone does.
    lodore

16. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Maybe I am wrong, but I remember you posted today/yesterday you couldn't login to your router o_O in some other thread.

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

you misunderstood me.
    what i said is wqhen i use opendns as my dns settings it wont load my router page which is bthomehub.home
    it shows the opendns search page instead.
    but if i use bt's dns settings i browse to bthomehub.home and i can access the options.
    i gonna replace the usb connection to my router with a ethernet one when i get my gigabit ethernet PCI card.
    lodore

18. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I am sorry I misunderstand ;)

Gerardo

19. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

I agree that a Router section would be a good thing. I have only recently purchased one (well, around 6 months ago) as a direct result of posts at Wilders.

Just wish I knew why after a power outage I have to reinstall the damn thing half a dozen times before I can get online again :mad:

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

what router do you have?
    lodore

21. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I purchased the same router 2 months ago and it works great with it's default settings, but I too would benefit from being able to tighten up it's ruleset!

22. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one on earth with the same router and the same problem. :D

23. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I know its fun to tinker and I would certainly like to know what all the options mean but my Netgear DG834 pretty much set itself up 3 years ago.

All I really know is that it works. I would rather have this firewall than any other available security software.

24. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Sorry, only just seen the post. I have a Linksys WRT54GS. No other machine connected to it

25. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Instead of a forum section just for routers, Why not expand it to include other internet hardware, like DSL modems, hardware firewalls, etc. Pretty much anything to do with home networking. There should be sufficient form traffic for that.
    Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.