Suggested Files to Monitor

Discussion in 'FileChecker & ID-Blaster Forum' started by Dazed_and_Confused, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Hello Everyone. :) I am just getting around to trying FileChecker for the first time. Sorry it's taken me so long. :oops:

To highten security of one's PC (which is always my overriding conern), I've read it's good to monitor your AV and firewall .exe files, but not definition files. In general, what other types of files should one monitor (again, to heighten security)?

P.S. A list like this might not be a good idea for a "sticky" thread for this forum. ;)

2. dog

dog Guest

I don't use file checker myself. I use a different integrity checker ... I'm not sure if File checker creates backup copies or not, if it doesn't be sure to backup the files to a folder of your choice / so if something gets modified or deleted that shouldn't; you have a replacement copy. Also create a backup of anything that does change for reference in a different folder as a safety net in case a file gets legitimately changed, and you replace it in error, you then have an out... but non the less these are a few you could monitor.

C:\autoexec.bat
    C:\msdos.sys
    C:\boot.ini
    %WINDIR%\win.ini
    %WINDIR%\system.ini
    %WINDIR%\explorer.exe
    %WINDIR%\regedit.exe
    %WINDIR%\taskman.exe
    %WINSYSDIR%\cmd.exe
    %WINSYSDIR%\netstat.exe
    %WINSYSDIR%\drwatson.exe
    %WINSYSDIR%\drwtsn32.exe
    %WINSYSDIR%\rundll32.exe
    %WINSYSDIR%\sysedit.exe
    %WINSYSDIR%\systray.exe
    %WINSYSDIR%\taskman.exe
    %WINSYSDIR%\taskmgr.exe
    %WINSYSDIR%\winlogon.exe
    %WINSYSDIR%\regedt32.exe
    %WINSYSDIR%\icmp.dll
    %WINSYSDIR%\regsvr32.exe
    %WINSYSDIR%\netapi.dll
    %WINSYSDIR%\ntdll.dll
    %WINSYSDIR%\netmsg.dll
    %WINSYSDIR%\wininet.dll
    %WINSYSDIR%\winsock.dll
    %WINSYSDIR%\wsock32.dll
    %WINSYSDIR%\ws2_32.dll
    %WINSYSDIR%\shell.dll
    %WINSYSDIR%\shell32.dll
    %WINSYSDIR%\ctl3d32.dll
    %WINSYSDIR%\comctl32.dll
    %WINSYSDIR%\oleaut32.dll
    %WINSYSDIR%\mfc42.dll
    %WINSYSDIR%\riched20.dll
    %WINSYSDIR%\shdocvw.dll
    %WINSYSDIR%\ntoskrnl.exe
    %WINSYSDIR%\msv1_0.dll

You could also add in your hosts file as well as protecting/checking exe & settings files etc for your security apps. (this would include things such as ghost files for RegDefend)

HTH;

Steve

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Thanks, Dog. :D

Now that I think about it, I guess I could monitor most of the files that I used to have TDS' CRC32 scanner check. But that one was an on-demand scanner, and this one is real-time. Don't want to bog it down with files that are not absolutely critical (my PC is more like Yugo than a Ferrari). ;)

4. dog

dog Guest

Hehehe ... this isn't a sports car either, yet not exactly the family van either ... I use RegRun to do a startup check at boot, and I use a different integrity checker to do a more intensive check on demand (weekly). This is the other integrity checker I'm using it's also freeware - http://www.sdean12.org/ / http://www.sdean12.org/Download.htm ... I can't really comment on JCs tool as I haven't really ever used it, I did install it long ago, but I don't remember much about it. But I have no doubt it's a excellent tool, as are all of JC's products. ;) :) :cool:

Regards,

Steve

5. Dazed_and_Confused

I also use NISFileCheck for a weekly scan of a large number of system files. But this app looks like a nice one for real-time monitoring a limited number of critical files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.