Sudden freezes after installing NOD32

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by haerdalis, Feb 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

2. EnGenie

EnGenie Registered Member

I've had this problem both at work and home since upgrading from 3.0.621 to 3.0.642.

At home I'm running ESS 3.0.642 on Windows XP2 SP2 (fully patched).

At work I'm running NOD32 3.0.642 with no local firewall on Windows XP2 SP2 (fully patched).

In both cases the freeze occurs just after login.

No icons appear in the system tray area and there is no hard disk activity.
    (Occasionally one or two icons, but not ESS or NOD32).

The mouse cursor still moves and pressing num-lock or caps-lock keys turns the relevent light on and off.

However the clock stops, and its not possible to start Task Manager to check whether which process is using excessive CPU time.

Pressing the button on the front of the computer does not initiate a shutdown.

The only solution is to hold in the button to force the power off.

This does not happen every time, but maybe every 3rd login.

There seem to be no clues in the Windows Event Log (or ESS / NOD32 event log) after the computer is rebooted.

This is getting very frustrating. I hope Eset fix it soon. :mad:

3. mhbmd777

mhbmd777 Registered Member

I have experienced both of the problems addressed in this thread: PC lockup when running Acronis True Image (versions 7 and 9) and the immediate freeze after login. Interestingly, the problem took 3 or 4 days to surface after upgrading from version 2.7 to version 3.0.642. Each lockup required a hard reboot with the power button; CTL-ALT-DEL would launch Task Manager (and showed no unusual CPU usage) but would not allow restart. I have reverted to version 2.7 and now True Image works perfectly and I have had no lockups after restart. I did not try disabling Advanced Heuristics prior to reverting to 2.7; I would be interested in others' experience in that regard (but that sort of cripples the program, doesn't it?). If anyone (ESET, preferably) comes up with a fix, please post it here. My subscription to NOD32 expires in 2 days, and I'm shopping for other AV's now :( .

Windows XP SP2
    Dell Pentium 4 2.4 GHz
    Online Armor Free

4. slandon4323

slandon4323 Registered Member

Same problem here: CPU 99% on ekrn.exe (3.0.621.0) when opening Firefox and many other programs. Just removed version 2 today and installed V3 anti-virus. I do not have any other anti-virus running. Been using NOD32 V2 for over a year. No firewall software running and no WIN Defender running. I am also having this same problem on multiple computers at my work place as I have removed Norton and installed NOD32 v3. I am also seeing problems on my WIN 2003 Servers. 30 day trial of V3 just expired at the office and we are not going to buy the license for NOD32 V3 because of this. Can I still get V2 and licenses for it?
    Thanks for any help with this.
    Steve

5. mhbmd777

Slandon,

Yes, you can; I decided to renew NOD32 for one year and hope that updates for version 2 continue at least that long (or that the bugs in version 3 are remedied). When you renew, you'll be sent an email with a new user name and password. Enter (paste) those into the appropriate boxes in version 2 (click the task bar icon, click Update and then Setup), and hopefully, you'll be good to go. If you need to download version 2.7, it's at the bottom of this page: http://www.eset.com/download/registered_software.php

6. guest

guest Guest

Thank you. I am not alone. ;) As I wrote I had with 3.0.642 (and older builds of v3) the exact same problem - freezing right after login. But only after 3 or 4 days! (This must be a pattern?) - After that 3 or more times in a row. So I had to cancel the experiment. Running 2.70.39 (again) I have not a single problem in months.

7. mhbmd777

Nope, you're not alone. :) I just wish ESET would fix this issue, so I could continue to use and recommend NOD32 without reservation. As it is, I will likely have to migrate to a competitor after my subscription expires.

8. thecoldanddarkone

thecoldanddarkone Registered Member

I've got screenshots when nod32 freaks out and I am not very happy with it. Unzipping files can cause nod to choke a processor. I have also run into times where nod chokes while transferring or installing files from my network/fileserver. Nod32 3.x chokes in alot of situation on both my personal machines.
    T61p and on my dual core desktop.

It's possible that I might have to move on after our license expires. If anyone wants or need information I will try my best to provide it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It depends on what is actually inside these archives . Advanced heuristics may need additional time to emulate the file.

You mentioned file server . I'd recommend you use v2.70.39 in your network (or at least on the server) which is , in my opinion , better for corporate environments. v2.7 is supported product .

10. Alan64

Alan64 Registered Member

I have been following this thread, because I too was experiencing freezes with NOD32 v3.0.

After much back-and-forth with ESET support, we finally found a solution: under "Real-time file system protection," I unchecked the "Networks drives" box, and now everything works normally.

For the record, I am running NOD32 v3.0.642 (with Blackspear's settings) under Windows Vista Ultimate, along with Comodo Personal Firewall 3.0.

My problems began when I installed my P-Touch label printer. The system would freeze when I attempted to use the printer, or even if I tried to open any printer in Vista's Printers window. I would get the "busy" cursor, and the system would become totally unresponsive, not even responding to Ctrl-Alt-Del. I became very good friends with the power button. :)

I initially blamed the printer driver, but eventually determined that NOD32 3.0 was the culprit. I found that the problem was eliminated if I disabled v3.0, or if I removed v3.0 and installed v2.7 instead. ESET support had me try changing various settings, but it was disabling network drive scanning that did the trick.

I don't know if this will solve the problem for others, but it's worth a try. Of course, if you actually need network drive scanning, this won't do it for you.

By the way, I have to commend ESET support. They exchanged emails with me for a week until the problem was solved, and they always treated me professionally. (I hate it when support people assume that because I'm having a problem with their product, I must be an idiot! :))

11. guest

guest Guest

On 3rd of april I upgraded again from 2.70.39 to this time v3.0.650.0 (WinXP SP2) and I had no freezes so far which seems to be a big step forward. All other builds before had this freezing problem shortly after login - if not on the first day then on the 4th day at latest. I use Nod32 standard settings.

Maybe it's a bit too early but I think/hope the problem is gone for good. :D

12. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I had system freezes with NOD32 3.0.642 (on WinXP Pro SP2) as well. As soon as I removed NOD32, the problem vanished.

It should be noted that disabling a feature or function isn't a solution; it's a workaround.

I haven't tried the latest build. I think it's a secret what has changed (i.e. as I write this, 650 doesn't appear on the change log page). I'd like to know if they specifically addressed this issue before I waste my time again.

13. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

the change log page is not updated try this
    Changelogs
    Version 3.0.650
    Fixed problem during an update from Mirror with an authentication
    Fixed few firewall issues
    Fixed an issue in the integration with Windows Mail

14. nameless

Thanks. I guess I won't bother with 650 then.

15. Marcusdmac

Marcusdmac Registered Member

I've just had the same problem with the latest v3 0 551 0 under trial - Im having doubts as to whether I should buy it now or go back to KAV

16. Danutak

Danutak Registered Member

I had the same problem after instaling NOD32 v.3 Today. It did freeze twice. Then I can access control centre. It shows msg "Error occured during communication with NOD32 Kernel service"

I use windows XP pro SP2
    AMD 1.60
    RAM 1.50 GB
    I have no idea what to do, my computer is not protected even I paid already for the program. Help please

17. nameless

You really need to contact Eset support directly. Whether they will actually reply is another question. (In my experience they reply about 40% of the time.)

18. Danutak

You're kidding me? If this is a case is there a way to get rid of it and get the money back? What should I do?

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Did you restart your computer after installing the program?

What other security programs have you run or are running at this time?

20. Danutak

Of course I did it did freeze a moment (5 minutes) then it start to work for another 10 minutes, then it died. There is not control center and msg is displayed "Error occurred during communication with NOD32 Kernel Service"
    Noadware 5 but was not running. Anvir task manager.

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It would be helpful to give as much info as you can on your system specs and antimalware programs you have used.

22. Danutak

AMD 1.60 1.50 RAM, XP Pro sp2.
    Noadware 5
    Ad adware Professional SE

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I would suspect a conflict between NOD32 and the other programs you are running.

You could disable the other programs and see if you still have the problem. If you don't feel comfortable doing those steps, I would wait for an ESET moderator's suggestions.

24. Danutak

The only program I am running is Anvir task manager. Of course I will try again to exit it and open control center but I already did it. It did not help. I exit anvir and it seems like is frozen.

25. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.