Submission question...

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by RejZoR, Aug 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/8533/nod32sub8gc.png

I'm wondering what does this mean (exactly). Good,bad,how to avoid this?
    I have opened the confirmation window and confirmed submission.
    Will those non suitable files be sent now or not?

I checked my quiet large database of various malware and NOD32 detected many of them with heuristics so i chose to submit them.

2. zashita

zashita Registered Member

The best thing I can tell you is to read the help file in the 'ThreatSense.Net' section.
    This is not bad at all, it is only a confirmation for sending only if you are agree with this :)
    You can change the settings in the CC -> Nod32 System Tools -> Nod32 System Setup -> Setup -> ThreatSense.Net tab
    To see if the files were sent, go to the Event Log section in the CC. You should see something about this.

3. wangk0998

wangk0998 Registered Member

I always submit viruses via E-mail, but......

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I did read help file and says nothing about this.
    I scanned files with explorer extension and NOD32 offered submission to ESET for new malware. Few minutes after this i got that popup baloon.

5. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

If there is a lot of files to be submited they are not sent at once but in 2 or even more portions.

6. zashita

zashita Registered Member

The baloon is a reminder telling you that some files are not yet submitted to Eset because you don't yet say 'yes I want to submitt them'.
    I guess your setting of EWS is 'ask before submitting'.

7. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

If they have been sent to Eset, it should be in the event log.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

That event log is crap because it doesn't log anything. Just loads of crap about failed update server connections and updates. Nothing about any submitted file...

9. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Hmm.. If there is no event for the files being sent, it could be because of your ThreatSence config.
    However I'm not really sure if this option is only for statistics or suspicious files too.

NOD32 System Setup > Setup > ThreatSence.Net > Advanced Settings > Submission > tick 'log sent data'.

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's ticked from beginning. I never got anything logged. Even if i use Submit now! button.

11. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

If it is sent the Event log should note it.

Example from my log.

Time Module Event User
    8/19/2005 6:26:41 AM Kernel Statistical information has been sent to Eset.
    8/18/2005 18:37:08 PM Kernel The file 'GRInstall.exe' has been sent to Eset's labs for analysis.
    8/18/2005 15:01:41 PM Kernel The virus signature database has been successfully updated to version 1.1197 (2005081:cool:.

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

No no and no. I have sent around i don't know 150 samples? Something like that. My log should be full of such entries by now.

13. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

How do you know all of them were submitted if someone else had submitted them before?

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Then why NOD32 doesn't tell me which were already submitted or which were approved and which not?

15. Papp

Papp Guest

Is the submission anonymous?
    Exempel: if nod32 ask me to send a submission and the file is illegal(crack to a program or game or somthing), can i bean charge/prosecute/indict then? ( don't now the right word :) )

16. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Yes, totally. You do have the choice to add your email to the submission.

Cheers :D

17. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

If you get that balloon and you want to send the files all you need to do is click the balloon when it shows and answer the dialogue box in the affirmative. Normally the only reason you would get that balloon is if you have not yet enabled 'submit without asking' in 'ThreatSense.Net', otherwise every time NOD32 needs to send a file it will have you confirm first that it is OK, I think even if it was you that added it to the submission que manually :)

18. CyberMew

CyberMew Registered Member

So if the filename of the file is already inside, the file would not be sent? Then why in the first place it asked us whether to send it over or not?

19. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

The submission system is specific to a machine when asking to submit a file.

For example: RejZoR has 3 computers.

Computer A has Anastyfile.exe, Anastyfile5.exe

Computer B has Anastyfile.exe, Anastyfile4.exe

Computer C has Anastyfile.exe, Anastyfile2.exe, Anastyfile3.exe

Computer A had completed a scan (either through Kernel mode, On-Access or On-Demand Scan) and no one else had previously sent Anastyfile.exe (either through e-mail or the submission system).

The log would have this appearance:

Time Module Event User
    08/18/2005 07:24:29 Kernel The file 'C:\windows\system32\Anastyfile.exe' has been sent to Eset's labs for analysis.

Computers B and C would ask to submit the file, but a log entry would not be created in lieu of the fact that Eset currently has the sample.

It appears that RejZoR would like to see feedback from the submission system (i.e. Thank you for submitting Anastyfile.exe). Now throw that back a few million (being conservative) times at an outbreak. Albeit it is a "feature" request and something that may be nice to know, but not a sound business practice given the amount of data that would be coming in and then going out. ;)

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Then why is it bothering me to submit stuff!? Dumb logic. :rolleyes:
    Anyway i forcibly submitted all the samples yesterday...

21. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Because it was detected by heuristics :) NOD cannot store all information about samples submitted by other people on your pc.

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

But it could just synchronize MD5 signatures with your server and submit only those that were not yet submitted while telling user that those rejected will be discard from submission cache. Thats how i'd make a submission mechanism...

23. CyberMew

CyberMew Registered Member

What happens if the filename are the same yet the contents of the file are different? (Let's assume the file has not been sent yet.) Will it still be sent?

24. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I pretty much doubt they compare them by name. For example i have like 6 samples of server.exe which have completely different content.
    MD5 hash check is probably the most effective method.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.