stupidest thing I can recall

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by HURST, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HURST

HURST Registered Member

May this post serve as a warning for all people who want to start encrypting, and for those with a little experience on it.

Today I wanted to open some files I had hidden from my GF (yes, some adult artistic pics :D:ninja:) and I found out that I'd completely forgotten the password I've used:gack:. Since she knows most of my common passwords, I picked a new one, BUT I didn't wrote it down and I never used it for anything else. So now I'm stuck with a folder of useless encrypted files. Not really an issue, I haven't open those files in months, and even had forgotten about them, but they have some "emotional value": I've been collecting this pics since 2001, so even if I had forgotten about them, now I don't want to just delete them.

Only hope is that they are unencrypted in my old computer, because I've been typing possible password for almost an hour and nothing happens...

2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

this may sound stupid but meditate on it, it will come back to you.

Watch this video and do what he says, then sit down somewhere quite and think about it, it will come back to you :D

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=26e4VM4Up28&feature=related

PS. when i make my password's my passwords are codes in themselfs, i just have to go back to my keyword and then ile be able to work out my password :D

3. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Try keepass to store your passwords.

4. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

Does she ever check out these forums? :rolleyes:

5. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I would do as huangker said in the future and hope what Cloudcroft said doesn't happen in the present.

6. HURST

HURST Registered Member

That's the thing... I DO use Keepass, but I was lazy the day I encrypted those files and kept saying "I'll store the password tomorrow"...evantually I forgot...

And regarding Cloudcroft's question, she's aware of these forums, but it's too geeky for her, so I doubt she'll check it out.

7. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

You just might have hypnotised Hurst to a confession:eek: This video reminds me of my martial arts class minus the cat.

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I would just start over. The girls in the 2001 pictures are getting long in the tooth by now, and you need new blood. :p

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Yeah. I would just try to think, what was I doing when I made up the password. Unless it's a password with a random set of letters and numbers, it's probably one with a familiar word like jugpics.;)

10. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I do know it wasn't random, but I have runned out of possibilities...
    Anyways, this thread was intended as a warning to all of us, sometimes you feel confident and think you know what you are doing, but you don´t (it doesn´t matter how many times you did it right, it only takes one time to screw up, same applies to malware testing, luckily, I haven't had problems with that yet):D

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Hurst

Your warning is well heeded. I shudder when people talk about encrypting their hard drives and other stuff. I've never seen a post saying boy I'm glad I did that because (blank) happened and it saved me from disaster. But how many posts have we seen with some saying they've lost their password, is there anything they can do.

Pete

12. Dark Shadow

Peter your correct not just in here but elsewhere I have read where people lock them selfs out of there own computers:eek: No top secrete stuff on my rig.If My wife wants to see my pictures of Eva longoria in her G string:p Go for it.:isay:

13. NodboN

NodboN Registered Member

Don't worry too much - she must've just changed the passwords. :doubt:

14. dantz

dantz Registered Member

Encryption provides many benefits, but it also requires greater care. Many thousands of users have permanently lost their data due to various encryption screwups. Which brings us to the obvious solution: Backups! An ordinary hard drive failure or a nasty malware infection could also easily lead to lost data, so this is not exclusively an encryption problem. Back it up, people! Especially if you use encryption, since this creates more potential points of failure.

15. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

yeah, its very similar to the martial way of unlocking hidden memorys, thats why i posted it , cat has nothing to with it but meh, better then watching a blank screen xD

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Basically what I've done is create and save my passwords in an app called Password Safe. I also have created a file with a completely unrelated name i.e. "volunteer list" where I list all my items that have logon ID's and passwords, and serial numbers etc. I bury this in a folder and if I can't locate my password in my Password Safe, I can find it in my file.

17. dantz

dantz Registered Member

If you are storing sensitive data and if you ever expect to have your computer forensically examined then your password file had better be securely encrypted. Some password-cracking programs will scan your entire hard drive and any other available media or personal information in order to build a word list, which will then be used to mount a dictionary attack against your encrypted data. There are plenty of other similar tricks as well.

18. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

You haven't actually "forgot" your password. The brain retains everything and stores it. Everything you ever heard, smelled, seen and done since birth, is all stored permanently in your brain (unless you have an accident and jolt the brain electrical currents, e.g brain damage resulting from a massive hit to the head).

So the password you used is still perfectly stored in your mind. The problem people have is recalling the password, not actually remembering, because a person can never "forget" anything. Sometimes when people are not focusing completely on the task at hand, during those times, whatever we do is being storing in our minds without our complete conscious awareness. However, the sub-conscious mind remembers everything.

So your challenge is to recall where it's been stored in your mind. And how you do that is tap into the sub-conscious mind before you go to sleep at night. Every night before you go to bed and sleep, tell your sub-conscious mind to get to work during the night as you sleep and to find and recall that password that you used. Do this and in a matter of a few nights, perhaps even the first night, you will wake up in the middle of the night or the morning and have recollection of the password. :thumb:

Believe and it will be done.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  19. Dark Shadow

Very true its truly amazing How we forget and at a latter recall the information out the blue.

20. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Exactly! Spot on :thumb:

So the brain never "forgets", it just has a hard time locating the information. During relaxation and sleep is the best time to get the subconscious mind to recall and locate the information, because every single event that has occurred since our birth, is still stored in the brains memory. It doesn't get deleted or overwritten. (however, during head trauma from accident or severe hit to the head, some parts of the brain can get damaged and the information lost)

21. firefox2008

firefox2008 Registered Member

Go to your nearest military base and have them water board you.

22. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

You didn't mention the senior moment phenomenon. You are in the middle of explaining something very important and you can't remember the key noun in your sentence. No amount of brain searching will help. Then a few hours later it hits you POW out of no where. The only problem is the opportunity to use it in your sentence has passed. o_O

23. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I think...hmmm...better not.. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.