Stupid Question, please put my mind at ease!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Grrinc, Oct 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grrinc

Grrinc Guest

Can reinstalling a new image somehow mess with a broadband cable connection settings??

Allow me to elaborate....

I recently reinstalled Xp with firewall, AV and all the latest updates. I thought now would be the time to image the drive. Curiosity got the better of me and so I thought I would reload the image, just to see how easy it was. Well everything loaded back in alright, but all of a sudden I lost my broadband cable connection!! I had to got back to my ISP (NTL - uk) to have a new IP assigned and also had to have my set top box reprogrammed. Everything is fine now though, but I cant help thinking that seeing as the image was the last thing I did, this could have some how messed up my cable connection!! Does this make any sense??

Thank you for your time.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Short answer, NO.

The only piece of info the cable modem uses from the PC is the MAC address of the network card, if it even uses that. The MAC address is in hardware and never changes. You can plug the cable modem into the NIC on any PC, and it will provide broadband. Therefore, something happened to your cable modem, but it couldn't have been caused by True Image.

Did you power down your modem for at least a couple of minutes and then turn it back on? That should have reset it and allowed it to get the same IP address back or a different one by DHCP unless you have a static IP address.

Do you use a router between the cable modem and your PC? That's always a good piece of protection in case you want to shut off your firewall. It would also always keep the same device attached to your modem. Some ISPs note the attached device and control services based on that device. If it's a router, then any attached PC will have all the services.

Back to your question, no, TI didn't cause the problem. Restore the image or a different one again so that you don't have to worry about this any more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.