Stupid question about OpenOffice

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by toxical2004, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toxical2004

toxical2004 Registered Member

Sorry if this question is maybe not exactly for this section of forum, but i really didn't have nerves to register to yet another (OO) forum to ask this.
    Anyway, started using OOo recently, and so far so good-really like it, minimal compatibility problems with .doc files, and for .pps i use the Microsoft's free PowerPoint viewer, but here's one catch i haven't been able to sort out: when opening a document with underlined words and phrases, it automatically marks them blue as links, and shows they point to wikipedia site containing reference about that. And after spending hour or two, trying to unchek every possible option in the program settings, it still shows those ugly blue links (yeah, i unchecked the 'URL recognition' option in autocorrect field). I also tried to search openoffice forums, but noticed there isn't option to actually SEARCH through pages, googled to find about it but with no success. Needless to say i lost my temper :ouch:
    So, if anyone can help me how to turn off that annoying automatic wikipedia-link-making, I'll be most grateful :D
    Cheers!

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

What you're saying:

- write an ms doc with a few underlined words?
    - open it in oo you see those links with reference to wiki?

If so, I'm gonna make an experiment, see what happens. Never noticed this.

Mrk

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Just did what I think you suggested.
    Wrote a doc, underlined a few words, opened it in oo.
    Nothing happens. Underlined words stay just underlined.
    Default installations both.
    Mrk

4. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I think he's talking about docs that already have the underlined links, sort of like the softpedia news. Certain words or phrases are underlined for pop-up explanations. With the docs, the underlined links are to the wiki-page for explanations. I used to see them when openning a help-file for some app. I think it would be easier if he provided an example document for OO-users to see. I haven't re-installed OO to provide an example.

5. Conficio

Conficio Registered Member

Sorry to say, there is no "feature" in OpenOffice.org that would autolink anything. The only autolink is for URLs that roughly follow the pattern "http://example.com/index.html"

I conclude that something must be already amiss here in the word document you do open. I guess it already contains the links.

In order to break them, right click on the link and select "Character ..." from the context menu. Then select the "Hyperlink" tab in the dialog. Remove the text in the "URL" field. Click O.K.

The hyper link will be gone and the text will be formatted "normal". You will have to format the text underlined if you so desire.

K<o>

6. toxical2004

toxical2004 Registered Member

Ok, i see that it isn't anything too serious. I don't have that document, nor the previous one which had that weird links, but i'll try to explain best i can. My coleague brought that document so we can look through it together and fix mistakes, it was originally written with MS word 2003, but i opened it in OO. Other things like pictures, tables and paragraphs were alright, only those few words which were originally underlined in the document were now shown in blue colour,and when i clicked them they opened wikipedia page about that term in my browser (and it was serbian wiki, since those words were in serbian). That's about it, i never saw that happen with my documents, although i don't usually underline words in text.
    Dunno really, it's kind of annoying, especially when i make pdf files out of those documents, links remain even in pdf in blue colour.
    Really have no idea what's that all about, if i find enough time, maybe it's not bad to go and register at the OO forums and ask the question there. I'll let you know if i find anything about this.
    Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.