Stupid Laptop question about XP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Is XP the same operating system on both laptops and desktop computers?

The reason that I ask is that I bought a laptop with a bunch of lousy software installed and an annoying rescue disk that will only "rescue" you to the miserable configuration that the computer had when it was sold. That is to say loaded with bogus ISP software and trial software and lame version software.

I'd like to think that if I ever have to re-install XP I could just install the operating system, and then add the software that I want. I am ashamed to say that I don't even have a clue as how to uninstall some of this third party software. Many, if not most are not even listed in Add and Remove Programs. I would already have just reformatted by now but I have little experience with laptops and am afraid I will just end up having to restore the whole bloody mess and be worse of than I am now, since I have at least gotten rid of the easy to remove stuff.

It's not a pressing issue, but it would be reassuring to know that I could just start from a clean slate.

It is a Compaq C301 laptop by the way. With XPH service pack 2.

-HandsOff

2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

The installation CD for laptops and desktops is identical.
    During installation the setup will determine which hardware drivers and energy saving features need to be installed.

3. screamer

screamer Registered Member

4. HandsOff

Thanks Guys -

That is sort of what I thought. I guess the thing to worry about would be having a back up of the system drivers. There's no guarantee that windows will have them all.

Eventually I guess I will reformat, but for the time being the computer is running smoothly so I am not inclined to tempt fate

-HandsOff

5. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

That is correct, it's best to collect the drivers before you reinstall.
    Usually you find all the drivers on the website of your laptop manufacturer. Probably in the support area.

6. screamer

Driver Genius is excellent for locating --> relocating drivers to another folder / external HDD, and finding up-dates for installed drivers. I use it on all my machines. Particularly useful when I n-lited Win XP on my NAS box, everything on one CD. i.e. OS, Drivers & Win Up-Dates.

http://www.driver-soft.com/

...screamer

7. HandsOff

Excellent point!

8. HandsOff

You mean relocating the backups, I assume? This is the approach I have taken with my desktop computer, but I haven't been very pro-active in maintenance of my laptop. Anyway, burning them on a cd would be good to, but my cd's have a way of getting sucked into black holes!

-HandsOff

9. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Give this a try, too - The PC DeCrapifier uninstalls a lot of that stuff. You just check the boxes of the "trial" software (crap) that's on your computer you want removed. www.pcdecrapifier.com

10. HandsOff

Never heard of that one yet...I do have some tools that I have used in the past, the problem with this situation is that, not having installed any of this crap, I tend not to recognize the names of all the software.

If this is specifically for trial ware, though it is possibly a newer and better approach. I pretty much hate all trial ware! I'm going to go look at the site. I like the concept!

-HandsOff

11. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

When I bought my Compaq, it came with the installaion CD, and a 'Driver Recovery DVD', perhaps you should check the package it came with.

12. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

If you download and run HijackThis and scan,save the logfile and post it here we can see what is exactly running and get rid of everything you don't need especially any crap. This could save a reinstall, clear up your pc and it sure will run alot faster.

http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/~merijn/programs.php#hijackthis

13. HandsOff

Thanks- The laptop actually seems to be in good shape. I don't think anything unwanted is actually running, I just see a lot folders full of junk that I don't need. I keep an eye on my running processes - More because of impatience than anything else. It something is taking too long my first thought is, 'OK, what's running slowing me down'.

Aside from my philosophical views on trial ware, and unsolicited offers, I just like every set up by myself. One feature of the laptop [this is common?] is that it has a restore partition on it - and it is huge! I bought the computer used so maybe it is something the owner did, but I am thinking not. I've been hesitant to reformat the restore partition, but I think I will now, after voicing my fears they don't seem very legitimate.

...Yeah! I'm going to do it!

- HandsOff

14. screamer

HO,

After you decide to re-format / re-install, get out a piece of paper and a pen. Write down exactly what it is you want on this machine and make sure you're prepared beforehand.

There's nothing worse than going into a re-install half-assed. I know... I've been there.

...screamer

15. HandsOff

Nothing better than having the file, when windows asks for it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.