stuff for my pc

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lodore, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i put the downloaded the deltree.exe from that link and put it in the system32 folder and ran the batch file.
    it seems the batch file does work, it leaves a few cookies in the temporary files thou.
    ok thats odd whenever i close IE7 the files just disappear now except one cookie.
    i will check with other sites since that online game site might get rid of them anyway
    woops i had the delete temporary files when closing browser in IE7 ticked lol
    the batch file cleans out the files for the default user aka Administrator but doesnt clean up my settings aka tim
    so do i replace the Administrator with the my username?
    lodore

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  2. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

I ran it just now and the same thing here. I think I have to add the path, it may be wrong or missing. I'll do that tomorrow, you have a point about being tired and making a mess of things :D

3. Johnny123

Bingo. For example, I can't imagine why anyone would pay for an email client or a browser nowadays. I've been told PocoMail is very good, but for $40.00? That's a lot of money I could be spending on beer instead :D IrfanView and PhotoFiltre also are great free apps. I'm sure you've seen it before, there's an .iso with 100 or so Open Source applications you can download. It has everything categorized and is a little easier than poking around at Sourceforge trying to find what you're looking for.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

so i do have to change Administrator to Tim?
    my name is tim so thats my account name:D
    i will probably use Norton ghost 2003 since it seems quite a good program rather than forking out ££ for a new program to do the same job
    i cant test out Norton ghost since i only have one drive in my old pc that i use for testing
    lodore

5. Johnny123

For the first part duplicate the lines with Default User and change the path to where they're located for Tim:

cls
    deltree /y C:\temp\*.*
    deltree /y %windir%\temp\*.*
    deltree /y "%windir%\system32\config\systemprofile\cookies\*.*"
    deltree /y "%windir%\SYSTEM32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\*.*"
    deltree /y "%windir%\SYSTEM32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\*.*"
    deltree /y "%windir%\SYSTEM32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\*.*"

Rem: No need to duplicate the following section for each registered User

Notice the remark above, so you only have to add user accounts for things above that line. That's the reason it didn't delete the Temp. internet files on mine either (haven't used this one in a while ;) ) Edit: looking at my account named Johnny, I see that for Temporary Internet Files I don't need the "Content.IE5", i.e., when I open Temporary Internet Files all of the cookies and garbage is right there without the sub-folder Content.IE5, so see if that's the same with your account Tim.

Here's a really easy way to schedule a disk cleanup automatically. In fact, this might be the best way. You can schedule it in the Scheduled Task Wizard to "run as", in which case you can enter Tim. The more I think about it, this is probably the best. It just runs automatically and you don't have to remember to do it.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Equivalent command to deltree is:

rd drive:\foldername /s /q

Indeed, scripts are mightily handy - and free. Your imagination is the limit.
    You can also try ATF-Cleaner for cleaning junk. Very simple and handy tool.

Mrk

7. Johnny123

If it has a CD or DVD burner you can test it by burning the image rather than saving it to a file. It's not a bad idea to have an image on CD/DVD anyway, you never know what can happen. You can also verify your images with Ghost, it does sort of a practice run and tests the image to see if it's OK. It's also recommended to make the floppy. If you burn it to CD/DVD it will run without, but with the floppy you can still access images on another partition or hard drive.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the location of temporary internet files is
    C:\Documents and Settings\Tim\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
    the cookies are stored in that folder as well arent they?
    i just want the batch file to delete the temporary on at least my account and the default account

its odd i read this link http://www.frontpagewebmaster.com/m-231438/tm.htm#231438
    they couldnt get it to work eiether.
    it cant be to hard to create a batch file to delete temporary files
    i found this link warning about the wild card
    http://filext.com/faq/deleting_temporary_files.php
    ok i just thought i would clean out temporary internet files using internet options and clicked delete temporary internet files then checked the folder and there are still .gif files in there!
    lodore

9. Johnny123

Yes, the cookies are in there as well.

Did you look at the Tweakhound tip for scheduling a disk cleanup? Seems like running it with the sagerun:50 it gives more choices of what to get rid of. Also it runs by itself after you schedule it, that's pretty good. You can have it run on a limited user account by having it "runas" administrator, which he shows how to do as well.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

no im looking at that now.
    if i can create a simple batch file that would be better in someways
    is a batch file even able to delete internet temporary files?
    if i click view files in disk cleanup it points me to C:\DOCUME~1\Tim\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
    which is an empty folder.
    but in IE7 they stored here
    C:\Documents and Settings\Tim\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
    so disk cleanup wont clean the default temporary internet files for IE7
    lodore

11. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Erik. Did you ever find out how to do the same thing in Opera? I am still investigating this. Sure it must be somewhere. Would save me from having to Data Anchor in FD.

12. Johnny123

The wild card can be dangerous if you haven't specified a directory. For example, just blindly deleting every .tmp file will hose some HP scanning software, which has a critical file with a .tmp extension. I know from personal experience :eek:

I also just ran a few different things that claim to delete temporary internet files and still have a couple of jpg files in there (but not many). Maybe they're in use since I do have a browser open with six tabs loaded.

13. Johnny123

OK, I see the difference. I uninstalled IE7 because I found a couple of sites that it screws up. I also have that same directory, but when I open the show files in disk cleanup it shows me the other one, same as you said, but there's files in it. Maybe add a line like the others pointing to that directory. You could also maybe set IE to delete temp. internet files when being closed.

Edit: I just tried it out and this works (on mine at least). Add this line:

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Tim\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\*.*"

However, it also deletes the cookies.

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i will upload the current text file and you can see if i made any mistakes.
    can you download the file rename it to .bat and tell me if it works?
    if not correct it and upload it as a text file.
    if there is anything wrong can you please correct it and then upload it?

thanks
    lodore

Attached Files:

15. Johnny123

That looks good, the last line is the one that will take care of the IE7 temp. internet files. That's the line I added here that finally worked. I also closed the browser first.

I can't test it on mine because everything's in German, i.e., I have "Dokumente und Einstellungen" instead of "Documents and Settings", so it wouldn't work. With these type of things I have to change these paths to match the system, except for things like "%windir%" of course.

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

it still doesn't seem to delete the temporary files in IE7 here.
    i even went to internet options and told it to delete all clicked yes with the browser closed and that didnt even get rid of them.
    so if IE7 cant delete them then what do i do?
    i can empty the folder manualy but not using the batch file or delete all in internet options
    lodore

17. Johnny123

That's strange. Have you tried running it with administrator privileges? I noticed in the Tweakhound article that he scheduled it to run as an admin account. Try using runas to start it and see if that helps. This is assuming, of course, that the account Tim is a regular user account. If that doesn't work we'll have to think of something else. o_O

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

never mind something weird happened.
    once I emptied the temporary internet folder manually with the browser closed, now suddenly it uses the old location for the internet temporary files

aka this folder
    C:\DOCUME~1\Tim\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
    and when i use the batch file the folder empties like its meant to so if i have the folder open i can see the files disappear.
    but it keeps the temporary files in odd folders in that directroy and the only way to see those folders is untick hide protected system files option in folder options.
    but at least the batch file works
    what do i do about the index.dat file?
    lodore

19. Johnny123

Good that it works now. I just left the index.dat file. Now that it's using the other path, i.e., with Content.IE5, then the cleanmgr sagerun:50 thing and scheduling it would work since that was the path it was set to.

20. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

No never, I like Firefox too much.
    Keep in mind that those procedures are described on Mozilla website. I didn't invent these procedures to move the profile folder to another partition.

It might be possible that there is another option to do this move by creating a new profile in Firefox and Thunderbird, which would be more userfriendly, but I never tried this.

But I do understand why you need it for Opera.
    It's anchoring or another partition and it isn't always easy to separate system and data for all softwares.
    Some are easy to do, some are more complicated and others are impossible.
    So you have to pay attention to this, when you install new softwares.

21. ErikAlbert

kennyboy,

There is another possible solution, but never tested.

nLite allows you to move the entire folder "Documents and Settings" (not just "My Documents") to another partition.
    I did some pre-tests and it looked very promising, but I never tried it for real.

22. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

In that case, a hassle-free solution is to use a program like Deep Freeze, whereupon anything written to a frozen partition is removed on reboot.

If you freeze just your C:\ partition which has your OS and system files, all other files will be removed upon reboot. No need for a batch file. Batch files were pretty easy to use prior to Win2k but with multiple users, including all of the correct paths can be a hassle.

As Erik has done, you can remap folders from C:\ to another partition. Faronics has a free remapping tool for Deep Freeze users who want to move folders. TweakUI is another solution, and there are others.

So, upon reboot, all temporary files, browser cache files (including Index.dat) will be removed.

Another bonus is that C:\ including your Page File is maintenance-free (no defrag necessary)

It nice to know that when you boot up each day, your C:\ partition is exactly as it was when you started the previous day.

There are sevaral cautions to think about before going the Deep Freeze route, which I can elaborate on if you decide to consider it.

http://faronics.com/html/deepfreeze.asp

-rich

23. kennyboy

Now THAT looks very interesting. Have put it on the list of projects to be done...:)
    Many thanks Erik.

24. ErikAlbert

Yes it is indeed interesting.

My pre-tests proved 3 things :

1. The folder "Documents and Settings" didn't exist anymore on my system partition [C:] and was entirely moved to my data partition [D:], including its subfolders.

2. The Registry was also adjusted automatically during the installation of Windows.
    As you probably know, many registry contain the folder "Documents and Settings" and those registries were adjusted.

3. I installed only one software "MS Office 2000" and its default folders, were automatically adjusted and
    referred to partition [D:].
    So I assume that it will work also for Firefox, Thunderbird and other softwares.
    Unfortunately, I had no time to test more than one software, but I was really impressed after checking these 3 things. That's why it's worth to try.

You only need 3 things :
    1. Your original "Windows Installation CD".
    2. The freeware "nLite" and you need to change only ONE option to make the move possible.
    3. A blank CD to create a customized "Windows Installation CD".
    And then you have to re-install Windows of course. :)

25. kennyboy

Dont want to hi-jack this thread any further so will report back on progress in another thread.
    Many thanks for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.