Students can't resist distraction for two minutes ... and neither can you

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ronjor, May 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://redtape.nbcnews.com/_news/20...straction-for-two-minutes-and-neither-can-you

2. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Nah I would take those studies with a grain of salt. Not to mention that these studies focus on negative aspects of computing.
    Let's put it that way.... Today's kids playing iphone games are tomorrow's doctors using robotic surgery.
    I have been in a gyn surgical room and i can tell you 9/10 times it was done via miniature instruments and the doctor's staring directly into a TV feed. So my believe on gadgets is that kids getting used to them early on will give them advantage in the future which will be electronically much more complex than what it is right now. And who knows maybe few years from now we won't even have surgeons in the rooms but behind computers.
    That of course doesn't give an excuse about discipline. Unfortunately in today's world parents too often like to blame someone or something else for their kids misbehaving. There can be a time to play outside and time for a computer. And of course there can be time for distractions and a quiet study time.
    Personally when I study 10-11 hours a day, I keep my phone off and computer off. But to this learned behavior I again thank my parents.

3. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Seems like all Wilders Security members are too distracted to read this thread..

4. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

I know a family where it takes 3rd grade kids nearly 2 hours to do homework because they're bouncing back and forth between dinner, dumb twitch games, and the homework itself.

Seems the ability to concentrate on one task doesn't exist. Any structured activity is impossible and the kids are too lazy to do anything for themselves.

5. mattdocs12345

Again, proper parenting and giving structure to the kids will prevent any of that from happening.
    I am gearing towards the end of my education but I can tell you that starting tomorrow for the next 2 weeks my phone and my computer will be off between 8am and 5pm. Really, not that hard to do.

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Damn, i need to change my habits. :rolleyes:

7. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Ehh.. their parents text and email because its too distracting and time consuming to meet in the same room of the house.

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Interesting, but I would disagree with two points:

11 minutes of work is not necessarily a good or a bad thing. There's no proof working for five hours straight on something, then switching is more effective or yields higher quality results. Furthermore, what is a disruption really. If you work on a book, for example, checking a dictionary phrase in a browser is a disruption or no? Taking a cup of coffee after a paragraph, yes or no?

The other is, I think the pool is way, way too small to conclude anything. It needs to be tested across many geo-locations, many cultures, over many years, education levels, income levels, and then follow up on relative success in life 1, 2, 5, 10 years down the road in several core disciplines/areas, to see if there's any real trend.

Mrk

9. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Anything can be a distraction. The key here is to know how to multi-task with discipline and when/where to prioritize. For some people, the "distraction" can be of positive value. Giving time to oneself and breaking the workflow may help to ease the stress and reduce the boredom out of study/work.

Obviously, not all of us are the same and there's no such thing as 1 study/working method that fits everyone. By all means, if a gadget is causing more problems than it's worth, don't be in near proximity with it when you need to be doing your work. Just don't the assume the problem is universal.

10. mattdocs12345

You hit a jackpot. I know someone who is also in a higher education and she studies quiet well with facebook opened on her laptop and phone going off every 20 minutes.

11. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Maybe these tests only prove we have outdated teaching methods?

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

13. aztony

aztony Registered Member

Is that what modern employers highly prize in their employees? The ability to multi-task. Those kids are ahead in the game. :D

14. safeguy

Don't be amazed. Kids are more often than not ahead of adults. Their minds are at the peak and have the ability to grasp things faster.

15. safeguy

16. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

I suppose a distraction would be something that causes a major shift in mental gears. Like preparing a scientific doctoral and then answering an email about renewing your pr0n subscription.

Can be good or bad. Good if you initiate it. Bad if you have to handle it on someone else's terms.

Also fitting in here would be this gear shifting happening too often.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.