Stuck "Preparing"

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by slobizman, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slobizman

slobizman Registered Member

I've installed Acronis 10 a couple days ago. Most recent build. Previous version before upgrade worked fine. Now, the backup is stuck "preparing" and doesn't goes further. The progress bars never get going.

I'm backing up only around 40GB over a network to a disk on another computer I know it can see because I let it verify a backup on that disk.

I've tried this on both my disk 1 and my disk 2. Same problem.

I've also reinstalled and I've rebooted several times.

Any ideas?

2. radioman

radioman Registered Member

Ditto for me too. No problems with V9 and downloaded V10 today and problem city! It starts the backup and after about 15 minutes says the backup is going to take 1 day and 6 hours. This is for a 80 Gb drive.

3. slobizman

I found one thing out. If I try to use the scheduled jobs, they don't run. But if I go to start a backup on fresh, then take the "set the options manually", then go to the "pre/post command" tab and set it from "use commands" to "use commands set by default", it then works.

I haven't tested further yet if doing this in a scheduled job will result in a backup that works or not.

4. radioman

radioman Registered Member

Well I decided to uninstall and reinstall V9 and now it won't work - also hangs on preparing. I'm able to drag and drop files to the Maxtor External HD and also able to backup files using their file backup program so I know it's not the hard drive.

All Acronis services are on and everything's on in msconfig so I'm at a total loss on this one. I am going to lock XP and let it run all night and see what happens.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated by others who may have experienced the same problem slobizman and I are having.

5. slobizman

Well, I just did a backup the way I said and left it there while i went out. When I came back it said it was completed, but the file was not there.

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Try unistalling, then deleting the Program Files\Acronis and Program Files\Common Files\Acronis directories, if they exist, and then deleting any registry entries that include "acronis" or "trueimage". Then instal version 10. If you have antivirus/security software running you will want to set it to allow the ATI10 installer to run, make registry entries, etc. This might not require action on your part, depending on your security software, or it might require manual action, or it might be easiest to just turn it off while installing.

sh

7. slobizman

If I delete all that, will it not believe I am an upgrade buyer? Is there a difference between the upgrade version I purchased and a first-time version? In other words, will it check something on my disk or registry and say "hey, you don't have a previous version of TI installed"?

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello slobizman and radioman,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Actually, there is not. The installation files are the same. The difference is in serial numbers used for installation of the full version and the upgrade version. You should use not only the serial number for Acronis True Image 10.0 Home Upgrade, but also a serial number for your previous version of Acronis True Image when installing the upgrade.

As for the issue you and radioman have experienced, please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive, install unpacked MSI package and see if the problem persists.

If the issue persists, please do the following:

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;

- Reproduce the issue and collect the log file;

- Get the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Also make a screen shot of the Device Tree application the way described in this previous post of mine.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

9. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Try backing up with the rescue disk and see if that works.
    I had the very same problem with version 9.0, but I could backup using my recovery/rescue cd. My problem disappeared after I reinstalled windows.
    I know this is a "duct tape" solution but at least if it works you will have an image.
    Good luck.

10. konabumm

konabumm Registered Member

I'm also having this problem - the only difference is, I can image all of my server but one. The one I can't image isn't part of the domain. I don't know if that helps at all or not.

I am in the process of trying the driver fix.

11. davewolfs

davewolfs Registered Member

The driver fix does not work, where can I download version 9?

It gets stuck on locking partion. When this dissappears, it just stays at 0%.

12. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

If you registered your previous version( I'm assuming it was 9), you can download V9 by logging in here https://www.acronis.com/enterprise/my/products/registration/ on the right side of the page. You could also reinstall the previous version.

13. davewolfs

davewolfs Registered Member

Unfortunately I am only a "trial" user. After going through the guide, this product seemed perfect. But sadly after putting it to use, I wouldnt purchase it unless I could get this simple and standard functionality to work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.