Strange WEI score

Discussion in 'hardware' started by berryracer, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I had an ASUS G73Sw 1 month back which had an i7 2.0/2.9 Ghz. Sandy Bridge and it used to get 7.4 in the Windows Index Experience score

I returned that notebook because it was full of problems and the screen die within one month...

So I got a Toshiba L750 with a faster CPU which is an i7 Sandy Bridge running @ 2.2 Ghz. / 3.10 Ghz.

But to my surprise, the WEI score of the CPU components is 7.2. I tried running the test a few times but it didn't change.

One thing I noticed that may seem to affect the score is that when the CPU test is running, I notice in the Turbo Boost Monitor that the CPU isn't throttling to full speed and it is staying @ 2.2. Ghz. but during other tests of WEI it does go up to 2.8 - 3 Ghz.

What gives? I know I could probably run a program called Throttle stop and have the score higher but shouldn't it throttle to full speed as this is a CPU test?

I know some Notebook have a problem in the BIOS that causes this but during my app usage I have no problems with throttling as the CPU does jump up to 2.8 / 3 GHz. when I load any application so the Turbo Boost is kicking in but why not in that WEI test?

Any suggestions guys?

Thanks

PS: I am running the latest BIOS from Toshiba v3.10

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

My suggestion is to ignore WEI entirely. It is not a typical benchmark and it's really only meant to give an idea as to how well a computer might run Windows. Changes in certain areas won't effect scores at all whereas changes in other areas can completely change it.

4. berryracer

I understand, thank you

5. berryracer

Here are the results before running the test with ThrottleStop:

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3860/toshibasatellitel750wei.png

And here are the results with ThrottleStop running:

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/3860/toshibasatellitel750wei.png

Now my question is, is it ok to keep Throttle Stop running 100% of the time or would that harm my CPU that it is running at max speed all the time? My current temp with Throttle Stop is 69C to 73C, is that ok? Will this harm my CPU in the long run or was it designed to run like this anyway?

I feel the table near the fan on the side of the notebook is very hot. I dont know if that is safe or not or am I slowly frying my CPU

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

seems a recurring question
    www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=321101

7. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

You'll see no performance gain, just a ton of empty cycles. Balanced actually outbenchmarks High Performance over long periods of time due to heat.

Let your CPU handle your CPU, don't mess with it with 3rd party stuff.

8. berryracer

And so I shall do, thanks

9. berryracer

Here is a reply from Throttle Stop developer:

Interesting....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.