Strange virus attack, what to do?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Question2, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Question2

Question2 Registered Member

Out of nowhere ESET smart security starts reporting that it has blocked connection to a strange address.

The problem is then my PC is stuck on 100% CPU usage and i can barely do anything.

After a while i managed to alt-tab to task manager and i see that there are multiple copies of some program called ntvdm.exe and its eating up all my CPU power, and ESET keeps reporting that it is blocking connection to the same address.

The problem ended after i managed to use task manager to close all the ntvdm.exe processes.

However when i run a smart scan on default settings, ESET smart security cannot find any threats at all.(With latest updates)

ntvdm.exe seems to be a file located in C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-ntvdm-system32_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_fde3cf3dd3e16d0d

What should i do now?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

After submitting the sample to Eset labs, please upload the file to www.virustotal.com

This service will provide an answer as to which antivirus companies are detecting the file. Please include here what you get.

Also, a SysInspector log from your system would be helpful.

How do I create a SysInspector log?

The best would be to open a ticket with the support department in your country, including all the info and a link to this thread.

Thanks.

4. Question2

Tried to zip it up to submit it to ESET labs, but i just got "access denied".

Virustotal says the file is clean.

5. Question2

And it looks like its set to create these ntvdm.exe processes at 8pm my time everyday...

6. Question2

Any ideas on how to get rid of it? Since i cant submit the file to ESET, and according to some pages on the net its probably a virus creating fake ntvdm.exe processes in task manager.

7. reevesloh

reevesloh Registered Member

Why dun u recover ur window into the day before ur pc infected n see it work or not

8. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

9. Question2

Okay, so when will ESET be able to detect this virus then?

10. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

Try to scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or other on demand scanner like Dr web cure It and see whether both of them help or not?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.