Strange update prompt

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ReyBango, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReyBango

ReyBango Registered Member

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. sanchehl

sanchehl Registered Member

I'm having the same thing except i have 300+ computers installed on our network and have always turned off PCU upgrades in the client using ERA. I've also turned off notifications so users dont' get pop-ups from NOD32 or at least i thought i did. now several computers keep coming up with this prompt. any idea how to stop this from happening?

BTW: Yes, i know there are updates, and i've been testing v4.x but there are some issues with the deployment configs so i haven't upgraded everyone yet. That's the reason why i always turn off PCU.

any help would be appreciated.

4. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

The PCU is only a upgrade for the 3.x version so you will get the latest 3.x version available.

5. sanchehl

That's correct, but why are we geting this message at all when i have all prompts turned off and have specified PCU to "Never update program components" Is this just another bug for NOD32?

6. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Have you checked the configuration at one of the clients to see if it really is set that way?

7. sanchehl

yep. i checked the config files thru ERA on a couple of the remote stations and confirmed that the settings for PCU were set properly. I also reinstalled v3 on my desktop (i was testing v4) with the same configuration that everyone else has, verified that PCU was set not to update, and i get the message as well. i emailed nod support about it, haven't heard back yet.?

8. DeaconMike

DeaconMike Registered Member

I'm getting the same update message box. It keeps popping up every time Eset does an update I guess. Then when I finally decided to download the update, in hopes that this would eliminate the box from popping up it removed the eset icon from the lower right of my screen.

I got the icon to come back up and it shows that no updates are needed and the virus protection is working but I'm still getting the update box popping up. Very annoying.

9. celicajim

celicajim Registered Member

10. GuyinCM

GuyinCM Registered Member

I'm doubly suspicious:

1. the News on ESET site says the last PCU was posted a week ago, v. 6.0.394; the popup alludes to 3.0.695. It stays a few second then vanishes.

2. The ESET FAQ that defines a PCU states that ESET does NOT push PCUs out to users like a definition update. If ESET doesn't, then who's doing it??

11. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

I got a PCU message today, too. I had version 3.0.684.0 and it updated my installation to the latest 3.0.695.0 without any problems. Most builds of EAV/ESS are designed to fix small specific issues only a handful of users are having, which is why they don't normally push builds out to everyone. However, 3.0.695.0 must have been tested enough so that ESET felt confident in pushing it out to all users without messing up everyones unique configurations. I think 3.0.684.0 -> 3.0.695.0 is a PCU, but ESET only releases PCUs when they are 99.9% sure a new build won't cause conflicts for anyone.

Regards,

Mark

12. DeaconMike

Well, I've downloaded the latest update then restarted my pc just now and the eset icon on the lower right of my screen still shows 3.0.684.0, Not sure what to do or why it doesn't show 3.0.695.0.
    But when I look under the update button it shows that every thing is current and no updates are needed.

13. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello All,

ESET has released the automatic update for version 3.0.695. For more information please refer to the following Knowledgebase article:
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2400

NOTE: This update is normal for all customers who have a version previous to 3.0.695. If you are asked to run the update, we recommend clicking Yes.

For customers who are experiencing issues with the update:
    Are you running any other security or backup software on the machines the update fails on?

Running the uninstall tool in safe mode and then installing a fresh copy of 3.0 should resolve issues.

Thank you,
    Richard

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  14. tipo

tipo Registered Member

i received it yesterday at the office..i guess it is something normal.

15. plax

plax Registered Member

This is indeed strange.

I'm using nod32 build 684. Since yesterday I've been getting these popups as well. They only remain for about 1 minute and then vanish.

What makes the situation extra strange is not only that my nod32 interface reports that the application is up-to-date. But in addition when I called eset customer support (level 1 support is the only support tier they would let me speak with) the support person told me that these popups were unknown to her and that I should not be seeing them based on the application's update status as reported.

Personally, I think it's an eset bug that is notifying the wrong people.

The eset support person said that she couldn't "troubleshoot the matter over the phone" and insisted that she wanted to send me an email directing me to run a diagnostic scan tool (from safe mode) and to then send the results to eset.

I told her that I was not the only person receiving these popups and cited this forum and this thread, but she seemed uninterested in that.

Currently, I can't really expend the resources on this computer or reboot it due to critical tasks it's running (and will be running for the next several days). So I will have to refrain from running the scan for now.

I think I'm going to call eset support once more, though.

16. DeaconMike

So, after calling Eset tech support for the third time, I finally got through to someone that helped me. Seems that when I renewed my subscription last week, I didn't completely delete the previous Eset program from my pc. So, had to download the uninstaller program, remove the current Eset program from my pc, using safe mode, then reinstalling 4.0

Since I have done that, no other pop ups from Eset have appeared. The new update is legit. Least that's what the last guy at Eset told me.

17. Rmuffler

If you are running 3.0.684 then you will be prompted to automatically upgrade to 3.0.695. We recommend clicking Yes and running the upgrade when you are able to.

Thanks,
    Richard

18. Rmuffler

I wanted to add an update based upon some questions that we have heard regarding the Program Component Update (PCU).

A red ESET icon after running the PCU is caused from the automatic upgrade running on a machine with old virus signature updates. The functionality and update of the product are not affected by the red icon. Wait until your ESET security product connects to the update servers and downloads the latest virus signature updates. Your ESET security product icon will then return to its normal color.

Thank you,
    Richard

19. weezyrider

weezyrider Registered Member

I did do the update and upon restarting this AM - NOD couldn't connect of find a component?/file? Whichever, it wouldn't run. So I went back to an older (667)version that I had kept. This PC is running W2K. The rest of my family and my XP computers had no problem. Laptop (XP) and Desktop (2K) are both running pain versions of Online Armor.
    NOD is now cooperating on this PC and I just want to make sure it doesn't update. Unchecking the "ask me" box and checking "Don't update" won't affect the definition will it? I just want to make sure.
    This drive has some of my daughter's special GIS software on it, and I don't want to mess with it until she graduates.

20. plax

plax Registered Member

What is so special about build 695?

It's been out since November of last year according to this post: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=258083

If it's that critical, why has ESET waited 4 months to push it as a crucial upgrade? And what happens if I don't upgrade from build 684? Can I please have some specifics on what changes are so important in build 695?

Thank you

21. plax

plax Registered Member

There was no reply to my last post. Why is it so difficult to get specific information about why build 695 is so crucial? I don't see build 695 on the changelog that's accessible from the ESET website. Again, build 695 was released last year but it wasn't pushed aggressively until now.

For a good reason, one of my computers that's running NOD32 v3.0 is only rebooted every few months. I'd like to know if there's some serious risk created by not upgrading to build 695 (at least right away) and, if so, what that risk is and why it exists. Will someone who might have the answers to my concerns in this regard please reply?

Thank you

22. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

ESET's software is architected a little differently than most other anti-malware programs and, as a consequence, downloads regular module updates for features and functionality which otherwise might require an update to other software. An earlier message located here discusses this in detail.

The reason for the delay between the initial release of 3.0.695.0 and its distribution as Program Component Update (PCU) is to ensure that there are no severe issues which could affect its deployment world-wide. Typically, increments to the trivial build number (3.0.nnn.0) contain fixes for minor issues reported by customers—although they can fix major issues as well as addressing things like misspellings, text layout issues in dialogs and so forth. Most of the time, though, the types of issues addressed in these builds are only affecting a subset of customers.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

23. plax

plax Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately my main question stands: what are the consequences of not upgrading from build 684 to build 695 for multiple months?

Based upon the excerpt below from your referenced post, it appears that since build 695 is being pushed as a PCU it likely contains changes to the engine, the user interface, and/or the help system.

So how can I learn which thing(s) (if any) changed in build 695 that could place the computer which I would rather avoid rebooting (for at least several more weeks) at significant risk of becoming infected with malware during the time before I am ready to reboot and can thus implement the PCU?

Can you at least direct me to a change log for NOD32 v3.0 build 695 that might give me some idea of why I need build 695 immediately?

Thanks

24. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

From reviewing the Support News section of the ESET web site, along with this changelog, I have come up with the following list of changes betwixt 3.0.684.0 and 3.0.695.0:

ALL
    • Fixed problem with event log error messages
    • Fixed problem with authorization towards Internet Information Services (IIS)
    ALL
    • Fixed problem with notification of missing antivirus protection in the Windows Security Center - Windows Vista SP1 and higher
    • Fixed problem of improper usage of rules due to incorrect identification of application in the firewall's interactive mode
    • Other minor fixes
    ALL
    • Fixed minor localization issues

As to how these issues affect your particular operating environment it is difficult for me to say. However, if you are not currently experiencing any issues with ESET NOD32 Antivirus v3.0.684.0 then I would suggest holding off on upgrading to v3.0.695.0 (or 4.x) until your next scheduled maintenance window.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

25. plax

plax Registered Member

Understood.

Thanks for your research and your time. I appreciate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.