strange unmountable problem truecrypt

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by iii, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iii

iii Registered Member

i encrypted my second hdd thats a internal hdd. It's blank doesnt have any data in it or any os and i encrypted it but when i try to mount it. I get a message saying ''the drive is not accessible and that the volume doesnt contain a recognizable file system, please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted''

2. Maka56

Maka56 Registered Member

Did you backup the headers?, if not then im afraid it's lost, had the same problem, if you can mount it then the headers are fine I was told, if you then cant access the volume then it's the file system corrupted.

Mine was corrupted due to wiping free space within a hidden volume.

Have you tried using the use embedded header option?, there is a backup header an the end of the volume.

3. dantz

dantz Registered Member

That's not a TrueCrypt error message. I think you're accessing the volume incorrectly. Did you go through the TrueCrypt interface, select a free drive letter, select the correct device, click on Mount and enter the password at the prompt?

4. daswizard

daswizard Registered Member

Dantz is right. If you simply click on the Windows provided drive letter the OS will not recognize the format (remember, it's encrypted!). You must go into TC and select the device (button below Select File...), select a drive letter to mount the device to, and then click on Mount. If your password is correct, the device name will show up in the volume column. Double click it to open the drive in explorer...
    Hope this helps...

5. iii

iii Registered Member

its fine. i don't know what happened but it said access denied etc when i first mounted it and clicked to open it then after that it was still mounted and i went to my computer and clicked it and it simply said you need to format to access it. so i formatted it and then didnt know if it was encrypted properly or not but i think it was since i needed to enter a password to access it but i just re encrypted it and the problem went away

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.