Strange thing happened with Tor

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Jim Verard, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Verard

Jim Verard Registered Member

A few minutes ago I tried to connect using Tor network, built inside XeroBank browser. I couldn't see what was the IP designed when this kind of thing happened, but while I was visiting Wilders, I clicked on three different links from different areas, and I was redirected to Lycos, Yahoo 404 page and other different site.

I also tried to open http://www.formyip.com address and it was redirected to somehow a russian website? Or one page from Microsoft.

And then, just to check this out, I typed cnn.com and was redirected to Google! Then I tried another address very famous and was redirected again. When I tried to made a search on this "Google" page, it didn't work, and another error page was sent to me.

I never see this kind of error happening before. My firewall is blocking all possible attempts to make direct connections, not using localhost/127.0.0.1 and connecting through port 9050, so it's not possible that my browser sometime have made direct connections of any kind.

Just for the record: all my cookies and cache were erased and the problem was still there.

I tried to change my IP address, and the problem was the same. The IP address that I changed, this time I could verify and it was 195.10 (something like that), used many times by Tor (I know that because I checked what were the IPs most used in the past weeks).

Then, I downloaded a new version from one of my extensions, and restarted the browser, and the problem was solved. But it's intriguing that this kind of thing happened. Anyone have a clue what could be the reason?

2. Shunted

Shunted Registered Member

Does the problem persist if you get a new chain? I have never tried XeroBank so I don't know how to do that, but waiting 10 minutes should do it if nothing else.

Theory: Could be a malicious node.

3. Jim Verard

Jim Verard Registered Member

This is not happening again, and never happened before. That's why I was surprised.

Perhaps it was a node not configured, but I never realize that such thing even exists. Did they ever check all the nodes? This was a yellow alert to me, because I always use Tor for everything, and I don't like they have any kinds of problems.

4. Shunted

Shunted Registered Member

Of course "they" (Tor developers, or EFF?) don't check all the nodes, anyone can be one. Some are harvesting passwords sent in clear (like your password to Wilders), issuing fake SSL-certificates for pages they are interested in, and so forth. Yours might have been just a joke or something. Don't like CNN? Redirect it.

Make sure the SSL certificates you accept are in fact issued by reputable C.A.-s or are known to you from before. And use common sense otherwise too, the exit node sees all your traffic. (If it's encrypted, they can not read it of course).

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.