Strange thing happened installing FF v5!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I finally got around to booting my Vista laptop today and using Help>About Ff>Check for Updates>Update, it installed Chrome. I installed it last week on the desktop and no such thing occurred. So what's up with that? Thank you!
    edit: I should say also!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Google hijacked Mozilla servers? :blink: :ninja:

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

So you have the latest FF 5 and Chrome? I suspect something else (not FF) installed the other browser. Check event viewer logs it might offer more clues

4. ratchet

I'm really alert (obviously no one is perfect!) while installing software. I normally notice any extra "options" being offered. I hadn't used the laptop for almost a week and can't recall installing anything lately. What was really creepy about this is the fact I was updating via Ff and woe and behold the Chrome icon appears. What the heck! I did uninstall chrome and it took the shortcut with it. Whatever caused/did this got past me and my security. Not saying it was malware related.
    Just thought of something. I'd been having some issues with Privatefirewall and Zemana compatibility and uninstalled, reinstalled both several times and eventually Comodo firewall. I kind of do recall unchecking "Install Chrome" in one of them. Perhaps in my haste? Even if that is what happened, still pretty creepy hooking in to the Ff install!

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Not sure if related, but I've found some people complaining that Google Chrome installs Google Update plugin in Firefox.

Could that be what caused it?

6. ratchet

Good point! I keep that disabled in the CCleaner startup list, but may not be disabled on the laptop. I'll check it out the next time I boot it.

7. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Google was a business minded organization and its browser size was exaggeratedly huge (4-5X bigger than Firefox), so what I did was uninstalled and removed it from my pc (and everything related to google...) and now only using Firefox Nightly without problem.

It's even more advanced (probably more better) than Firefox 5. Hehehe....:D

8. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

sorry for the dumb question..which is more advanced than firefox 5? is it chrome or firefox nightly?

thanks,
    harsha.

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Pretty obvious reading his post. He removed Chrome, and then used Firefox Nightly. Where's the confusion?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.