Strange startup issue with RegDefend

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by Clive T, Apr 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clive T

Clive T Registered Member

This is strange! I downloaded and installed pff-m-d's RegRun.ghst file into v1.2 of RegDefend only to find that my computer (running XP SP2) hangs every time it boots just at the point where everything has loaded and the HD activity has subsided. My only recourse is to switch off and reboot into Safe mode.

This is reproducable every time. If I remove the regrun file from the prog directory, the machine boots OK - if I put it back, the machine hangs on reboot.

I've scoured the registry thinking there might be a startup prog or process causing the error. Hijack This shows nothing unusual starting or running (not that I would expect it to). It's just that one file causing the problem.

It's no great deal now I know what's causing the issue, but still...

Regards

Clive Taylor

2. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

3. Clive T

No I don't have Window Washer but the problem MIGHT be something to do with the key mentioned in that post. When I return from work later I'll have a play around and report back here.

Thanks for the possible clue.

Regards

Clive Taylor

4. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi Clive T,

Do you happen to have Zone Alarm? It might be the culprit...

For some reason here, Regdefend, sometimes, doesn't seems to allow ZA to start (everything else opening correctly) and simply lockup my system... I than need to make a manuel reboot (2 or 3 times) and if evertything doesn't get back right I simply disable regdefend from startup and then my system start correctly (no lockup)o_O

Atomas31

5. Clive T

Problem solved!

I removed the key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop* from the RegDef.ghst file and all works normally now.

I don't run Zone Alarm or Web Washer so goodness only knows where the conflict was.

Thanks for the inputs.

Clive T

6. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Does the RegDefend Log show any blocks? Don't just look in the Current Log...select one of the other logs.

7. Clive T

No, nothing. There's only one entry and that relates to an IE start page change - but that was caused by me fiddling about.

8. Clive T

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.