Strange Question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WilliamP, Jun 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I am trying to clean up a computer that belongs to a guy I work with. It was a mess. I have a question. There isn't that many programs on this thing but over 13 GBs used on the hard drive. I don't understand. I have tried to defrag and it gets to 28% and doesn't get any further. How can I tell what is on this thing?

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Please tell us more about the system. What OS version are you running?

3. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Details Will, details. ;)

GF

4. WilliamP

The system has XP Pro. It appears to be a put together system . None of the names match. It has a Celeron processor.

5. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Restore points can sometimes chew up heaps of Gb...

6. Close_Hauled

Windows XP Pro, with Office installed, and a few utilities takes about 4 gigs of disk space. The best thing to do is to uninstall all apps that are not needed. Remove everything from the startup that is not needed. Run Crap Cleaner, and RegSeeker to remove the excess junk. If you need details, please ask, and I will be happy to provide.

Also, disable anti-virus protection when defraging.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  7. WilliamP

It has about 13 GBs used. It just doesn't have enough programs to use that much space. I cut sys restore to 6%. It didn't made adent.

8. bigbuck

Cutting sys restore, I think, will affect subsequent points. Clearing all but the most recent (with disc cleanup), may regain a few gigs. I can recall recovering about 6 gigs on machines before.

9. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Will,

You could easily drop sys-restore to 2%, and download StartupList from here.
    Create a folder for it on the main drive and zip it there, it won't affect any system files or write to the registry.

GF

10. Close_Hauled

You need to do what I said above. You also need to go into Program Files and look for programs that were not in the software list. Also delete leftover program directories. Adobe is classic for leaving behind junk after uninstall. You need to use the search tool to find files over 1 meg in size. There is a lot still that you need to do. It is no small task.

Make sure that "Show hidden files" is selected before doing the search.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If by chance he was a downloader of songs and such....that can easily chew up 13 GBs.

12. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

WilliamP,

If you're wondering where all the space is committed, how about developing a quick allocation map of usage. Look at total committed space under the Windows, Program Files and Documents and Setting folders. Do one of them dominate the group above rough expectations? If so, look deeper in the suspect folders. If not, execute a bisection style search of the remaining folders in the root directory to see where space is excessively chewed up.

Bisection search? Highlight groups of folder - say half of the total number of folders (hence the term bisection) and perform a right-click and select Properties - you'll get the total space occuppied by all folders selected. Do the same for the other half. Does one group dominate in size? Yes? OK, take that group, divide it in half and do the same for each half. Repeat until you've zeroed in on the folders occupying an "excessive" amount of space. It's brute force but quick for small populations - for a couple hundred folders a maximum of 8 steps is required, assuming a solution.

I assume you've already cleared all the Temp locations.

Blue

13. bigbuck

14. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

But doing it manually is a chance to have some quality time and bond with your drive :)

Blue

15. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Yeah Buck, what were you thinking? :D

GF

16. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

Or something like Overdisk could help.

17. bigbuck

:D
    :D :D

18. WilliamP

Thanks guys. I tried Overdisk. It looks good. I'm still trying to find out what is on there.

19. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Bill

I hope you are getting paid for this. I got suckered into helping clean up a machine once, and 8 hours later it was only 50% done. Then silly person, didn't do anything different and just took them an hour to have it back in a total mess. Now my stock answer is "gee I am not to familiar with what do do in this situation" I just don't have the time.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.