Strange procceses,MSN Crashing on start

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by The fox, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The fox

The fox Registered Member

Hello I come here for help regarding something that has just occured just tonight due to my own stupidity. I downloaded a file which would remove the time limit of a anti-virus software. After I had downloaded it and runned it it all went to hell. First of all when I tried to end the installing procces it would just keep coming up and the only way to stop it from occuring would be to kill msiexec.exe in the procces tab. No big deal I thought but I thought I would reboot the comp to see if it would return. And boy if it did, When I rebooted the computer the first thing I noticed when it was finally finished was that MSN was unresponsive instantly. And two new proccesses msiexec.exe and nsvc23.exe I believe it was spelt was in my procces tab. I killed them both at which point I begun getting worried. I ran several anti virus programs such as SpyBot Search&Destroy which found nothing. I decided to download Avast! and after the installition it asked me to restart the computer. I did and the same procceses and MSN crashing happend again. Right now im quite scared as I dont want to lose the data I have on my HD if I cant get this fixed and im currently running a Avast! virus scan. So far it has picked up a trojan in one of my drives which it deleted. Please I need your help if you have any kind of suggestion at all please tell me.

2. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

Never apply any patch or crack to sensitive software such firewalls or antivirus, thats why you got owned :(

Disable system restore, restart your computer to safe mode and run a full heuristics scan with avast, hope that helps

oldmx

3. The fox

The fox Registered Member

I was able to fix it. I had to poke around in the prefetch folder also whipe off some other files. Thank god its finally working propertly now.

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Hopefully its a good learning experience for ya :). I don't endorse hacking/cracking but if you are going to test something out in future i'd suggest you do it virtualised to help prevent the problems you just had.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.