Strange Problem With The New Bitdefender And Speakeasy.com

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Graystoke, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I asked the following question yesterday at the Bitdefender forum, but haven't received an answer yet. I thought I would give it a shot here too. Maybe someone might know why this would happen.

I just installed the trial version of Bitdefender Internet Security 2008. I went to Speakeasy.com to test my speeds to see if BD would slow things down. Happy to say, it didn't.

There is a problem though. I use Firefox 2.0.0.6 as my default browser. When I run the speed test at speakeasy.com, the down load speed test work fine, the upload portion does not. It just keeps running. It never stops. When I try running the speed test using IE 7, the download and upload tests run normal.

If anybody else is using Firefox, could they please run the test and see if they get the same results. I can't figure out why it works with IE 7 and not Firefox.

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Could it be tweaks or add-ons to Firefox causing the problem?

3. Graystoke

NAMOR,

I don't think so. The reason I say that, is because I never had that problem when running any other AV or suite while having Firefox as my default browser. Maybe there is something about the new Bitdefender suite that doesn't like Firefox. If that's the case I will chose Firefox over BD.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Just to report, I just ran speakeasy ( not running BD2008 ) with Firefox and the test was fine.

5. Graystoke

I contacted BD chat support. I explained the issue. First he had me disable the firewalls stealth mode. That didn't work. Then he had me disable the firewall. That didn't work. He said he tried the speakeasy test using Firefox, and he had no problems. He told me to close my browser and open it again, and then go to speakeasy site to run the test again. Well this time everything when weird. The speakeasy test site was gone. Nothing to click on to test speeds. It said I might need to install Flash. I already have Flash installed.

I told the tech the situation, thanked him for his help, and ended the chat. I also uninstalled BD IS 2008. I ran my GoBack to revert back to before I installed BD. Everything is ok again.

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

you wouldn't by any chance be using vista?

there is known flash problems, but its usually with IE7 and not mozilla.

run > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil9d.exe

try that, and install.

then reboot and try the website again.

this worked for me with my vista flash problem with IE7, so it might just work for you.

7. Graystoke

No, I'm running XP.

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok i thought it was a vista problem, my solution still might fix the issue for you (that is, if it is a flash problem)

if you do the above and it still is broke, its not a flash problem.

9. Graystoke

Thanks CSJ. I'll give it a try.

10. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

I had to disable the Http scanning and privacy control to make that flash based website work. I am using vista.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.