Strange Problem after cloning HDD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wzajac, Mar 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wzajac

wzajac Registered Member

I have a dell Insperion laptop and I have Acronis TI V 9
    When doing the clone I plug my new drive into USB and it clones without error.
    I replaced the old HDD in the laptop with the clone. The laptop will not reboot I get the can't find OS error. I boot into bios and the bios indicates no hard drive found. I replace old HDD and boot, then plug clone into USB which XP see's and the size and all folders match the original HDD. Any advise or help would be appreciated!
    Thanks,

2. dantz

dantz Registered Member

If the drive isn't being recognized by the bios then this is probably not an Acronis True Image issue. However, here are a few ideas:

Make sure the drive jumpers are set to Master
    Make sure the bios is set to autodetect the hard drive
    Check the cable and the pins - make sure none are bent, etc.
    If autodetect doesn't seem to be working, try manually selecting the hard drive parameters in the bios (but set it back to autodetect before reinstalling your original drive)

3. wzajac

wzajac Registered Member

I thought Drives for laptops do not have jumpers?
    I'm looking at the drive but don't see any
    Thanks

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Until the BIOS will recognize the new drive, you won't be able to use it, so that's the first problem to solve.

Is it a larger drive that the BIOS can't recognize? Perhaps a BIOS update will allow the larger drive to be found.

Have you contacted Dell support to see if they have any solution to getting the BIOS to recognize this drive?

5. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Are both drive the same type..ie SATA or IDE?
    Try the switch again. There's a slight chance that the new drive was not fully inserted or check for bent pin.
    What's the name and model number of the new drive?

6. It'sme

It'sme Registered Member

Did you remove the proprietry HW interface connector from the original drive and fit it to the clone drive before connecting it?

7. wzajac

wzajac Registered Member

Both Drives are same manufactor and IDE, the clone is 80G and the original is 60G. Now here is what is strange I plugged clone back in a booted from a resue disk. I did a restore checkpoint and drive booted up after restore, but if I power of laptop it will not boot. The bios does not see drive. I again plugged clone into USB and plugged original drive into laptop the system does see the drive. I do recall seeing the clone as drive 0 1 somewhere.(Mayby in rescue diisk) should it be 0 0? If so how do change this? I may be reaching but I'm desperate.
    Thanks for your help so far!!

8. wzajac

wzajac Registered Member

Yes I did place the connector on the clone just as the original drive. Thanks!

9. wzajac

wzajac Registered Member

Any other ideas?

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello wzajac,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please try formatting the drive and check if the BIOS detects it

Please also try to plug the cloned drive (the drive in the question) to another computer (not via USB cable but via IDE) and check if the BIOS detects it. If the BIOS still does not detect the drive you could try to apply the drive to the nearest service center.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.