Strange policy - no free email allowed

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by sukarof, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I was about to buy a software called "Tweak-SSD" when I noticed that this company has a strange email policy when buying software. I have bought a lot of software on the net through the years, but never encountered this kind of policy:

I have a Gmail account that I use for all my software purchases.
    I dont want to go through unnecessary hassle, so needless to say they lost a costumer, but have anyone seen this kind of policy before? Any idea of what the purpose is? Sure, I can imagine some kind of security here. Maybe they think that if someone hacked my free email account they could steal this $14 software code?... but personally I like to choose my self if I take that risk or not.

2. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Perhaps those who acquire stolen credit card information and make fraudulent purchases use free email addresses and this is being done in an attempt to reduce exposure to that? Perhaps they are selling information and want people to cough up their real email address as opposed to a throw away? Have you considered asking them just to see what they say?

PS: Did you notice the last sentence in:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  3. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Use http://10minutemail.com/10MinuteMail/. I'll bet you this company won't have them blacklisted as a free account. Usually these, what I consider at least, bad policies like this only account for the well-known web services like Gmail, Yahoo etc. Using 10Minute Mail also assures you won't get the inevitable spam after your email address is sold to third parties. If you've never done business with a company before, be careful about it. Looking at the product, are you sure you even need such software? Most of these "optimization" tools either offer the ability to do something you can do without them, or do very little if anything at all. They also have a free version.

4. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

^I agree. It looks like it just allows you to enable/disable some settings that are accessible elsewhere if you follow a tweaking guide. The feature you have to pay for, the "TRIM performance optimizer" isn't clear on what it does.

What does that actually do? It sounds like it either A) defragments the drive (a big no-no for SSDs) or B) just ensures that TRIM is enabled, which Windows 7 should do by default (and you can check for yourself).

As for the email policy, I seem to remember some sites not allowing you to use a free web-based address a while back, maybe 10 years ago or so. I'm surprised they're doing it now, since webmail has become so popular and ubiquitous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.