Strange NOD32 script-distribution problem

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by An10Bill, Feb 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. An10Bill

An10Bill Registered Member

OK

Have to admit that I'm fairly new to NOD, but I think I've set it up all correctly. I have about 150 computers on wich to distribute NOD32 (mixture of W2K/XP and W9X) so I've chosen to use the execute by script distribution method (since this will work for W2K/XP clients as well).

I've made all the packages, and testet them on the servers with the PUSH method, and then I've created a folder where nod32installer.exe is placed.

I've also modified the current KIX logon-script to execute the nod32installer from the above mentioned folder/share after uninstalling our current McAfee solution.

Everything works nicely it seems, except for the fact that after the client has run the script, the mcAfee crap is uninstalled, the nod32installer.exe is run, and on the console the job for the computer running the script appears as pending..... then it tries to start install, but soon fails with the following error message: "Could not set up IPC connection".

I've tried to state the Administrater/Password and Domain entries correctly, but error re-emerges..... If trying to run as local workgroup administrator, the installation tries to start, but then just hangs (I let it hang to 60 minutes - nothing happend)..... Tried running from another computer, same error.

PS: Both clients tried are Win XP clients (with SP2 - firewall OFF)

Also tried the PUSH installation on above mentioned clients, and then gets same ERROR - seems to me then that this is not releated to installation method, but more an XP/SP2 problem ?? (PUSHING to W2K Server worked fine - and I also suspect my login script will work for W2K/W9X computers but this I haven't tested yet). Even if it works for W2K/9X I have to find a solution for this, because we have about 40% XP's with SP2.....

Any suggestions ??

Thanks in advance!

2. An10Bill

I've now tested, and as I suspected the issue is only appearing on clients with Win XP / SP2 (I have no clients with XP SP1 so that I can narrow it down further to be an SP2 problem only) - But I would not be surprised if SP2 is the cause for this because this so called update have given me a lot problems on other areas, especially WLAN....

So my login-script works fine on W2K/9X clients, it's just the WinXP/SP2's that have an issue. - only bad thing is that XP is currently the installed OS on about 50/60 workstations - and I don't want to address those manually.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

3. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Hmmm, I am also fairly new to the Remote Administrator, but I did find that the PUSH installations would give the same IPC error if the target computers were set up as part of a Workgroup, as opposed to a Domain. If part of a Workgroup, going to Control Panel --> Folder Options --> View and *unchecking* "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)" would get around the problem. This option is only available to XP Professional, not XP Home.

I do not know if this helps, but I figured a little feedback wouldn't hurt. ;)

4. An10Bill

All our computers are part of our domain - We have no workgroup established(and the RAS is part of the same domain) so I don't think your suggestion will help me, but thanks anyways!

--
    An10bill

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Can you please send a email to support@nod32.com and place a link to this thread.

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Just in case, isn't the firewall on WinXP SP2 enabled?

7. An10Bill

Have tried it both with firewall enabled and disabled..... Errormessage was the same in both scenarios.....

--
    An10Bill

8. An10Bill

I've now sent an email to support@nod32.com - linking to this thread, and hoping that they have a working solution :)

--
    An10bill

9. An10Bill

UPDATE

I've now installed a computer with XP SP1 only, and here my logon-script works like a charm, just as it does with W2K and W9X clients.

So this is definatley a Win XP Service Pack 2 issue.

--
    An10Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.