Strange issue whith ESS6

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by lord47, May 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lord47

lord47 Registered Member

I'm using ESS6.0.316.0 (with Virus DB 8376)..and yesterday a dowloaded I compressed file (.rar)..then I scanned it and ESS6 said it's clean...but after a while I noticed that a new process named "antivirus.exe" (trojan threat) is running in my system (it modified my windows registry to unsure its running at every system startup) and it connects to a remote server,then causes the system to reboot after a random time (after 1-5 minutes).

And after a long struggle ..the ESS6 startup scanner finally detected "a suspicious file" running (it cleaned it & the threat is quarantined):

%Temp%antivirus.exe a variant of MSIL/Packed.CodeWall.A

But the problem is :
    * If I scan the infected file...then the result tells that it's clean.
    * If I try to send this file to samples@eset.com via MS outlook..that's when ESS6 Email filter detects and clean the trojan.

So, is there any explination to this matter?

2. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Hi,
    Was it a double zipped file.?
    Threats are often quite difficult to detect with a scan when the file is double zipped.

3. lord47

lord47 Registered Member

No..but here's the report I got with ESS6 email filter:

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

When scanning the disk, did you enable detection of suspicious applications? When submitting detected malware, protect the archive with the password "infected" so that it's not detected by other protection modules.

5. lord47

lord47 Registered Member

Yes.."detection of suspicious applications" is enabled.

I did as you suggested..and Eset team said that they'll include this threat in the next signature update.

They definded the threat as: MSIL/Bladabindi.O trojan

Last edited: May 27, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.