Strange hardware/software problem

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by djmorgan, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djmorgan

djmorgan Registered Member

I'm running Win7 with ESS and have just found that if I place the firewall in any configuration other than Automatic, I loose function of my built in fingerprint reader which is AuthenTec hardware with DigitalPersona software.

In all cases the drivers for both hardware and software are up to date.

Any thoughts? I realise I could create and exceptions rule but would need some help in doing that as I can't readily identify just where eset is blocking and making the software fail to see the hardware.

David

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Windows 7 and ESET Smart Security is a big NO NO !
    You can try to keep ESS but you must:
    - 1. Open the user interface
    - 2. Press F5
    - 3. Goto Updates section
    - 4. Enter the options and enable the BETA updates

Then , manually update ESS so that it downloads all the beta update that will allow you (probably) continue with Windows 7. Then , you can use either the Exclusions or try to create some rule (or Learning mode) but without the BETA updates.

No matter what ESET tells , facts show that Windows 7 is still not officially supported by ESET software products (ESS)

Another thing - try ESET NOD32 Antivirus v 3.0.694 - the latest good ESET product -> download from www.eset.com/download

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Switching firewall to learning mode and letting it create the appropriate rules automatically should suffice. Enable pre-release updates only if you have problems with sharing or simply want to use the newest module available.

4. djmorgan

Okay I'll try all that.... when did this program become so complicated to use?

5. stratoc

stratoc Guest

because, as has been said it's not really compatible. i have had to use nod 32 as the firewall and self protection in v4 is just shocking on my win 7 64 bit, was poor on vista i stuck with v3.
    im just dreading v5 i really am.
    anyway if you get problems you can use the av with windows firewall, which works a treat.

6. djmorgan

Well, after many years using Eset I have just had to remove it! I put it in learning mode but all it seemed to do was learn how to close down services I have on my computer.

Firstly the fingerprint reader was closed did not even operate in Automatic mode, then internet time sync wouldn't conect to a time server, then my home network lost conectivity.

I had to get ESS off quick before it closed down my cpu's :'(

I do believe the virus scare is overdone and even though I have about 18 months on my present licence ESS is acting like a virus itself.

So went to MS and got there free MSE at least it works with Windows 7!

It may not be as good as ESS but it has been about 2 years since I got any threat detected.

David

7. stratoc

stratoc Guest

check the database, mine used to go to 4 days and tell me it was up to date. you would be much better off with nod 32 anti virus only.

8. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

Does 3.0.684 / 694 of ESS work in Win7 ? NOD32 works just as good without the WFP driver in vista and 7.There is not much difference mechanically between Win7 and Vista, Anyone tried V3 of ESS on 7 ? Ignoring the message of incompatibility ?

9. djmorgan

Well after running MSE for a couple of days, all my problems have gone, no hardware/software issues, I can even create a Homegroup with no problems and all networking connections stay connected.

Really Eset I have been one of your biggest fans for years, but now the product is off my computer, when an anti-virus product becomes a virus itself it just isn't good.

Then today I came on this link where my free product is shown to out perform in some areas my overprice product

http://www.net-security.org/malware_news.php?id=1137

If you ever get your act together and make a product that is light on resources and works without conflicts across all OSs' I might come back

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.