Strange Happenings With Panda AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mannaggia, May 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

I have the Panda Platinum 7 Promo. I'm not running it at this time though.

I've had this problem with it lately. Everytime I started my computer up in the morning and would try to open my home page, my.msn.com, instead of the the home page I would get a blank page with "page has moved, click here" in the upper left corner. When I clicked on the word "here" it would take me to my home page. This would sometimes happen on a reboot also. When I uninstalled Panda, everything was fine. This just started about two weeks ago.

I really like Panda and would like to install it again, but not if this is going to keep happening. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

2. Arin

Arin Registered Member

sorry i couldn't reproduce the problem in my XP machine. so i don't think Panda is causing it. install Panda and if the problem persists then disable the firewall and see if it disappears or not.

3. Mannaggia

My OS is XP (home edition) also. I've never installed Panda's firewall so that can't be the problem. I guess I'll give it another try. Like I said, this just started happening a couple of weeks ago. Before that, I had no problems with Panda.

4. Mannaggia

Well I installed Panda Platinum last night. No problem with the redirecting of the home page this morning when I turned my computer on. Hopefully what ever was causing this to happen is gone.

One other question. I've read somewhere, not sure if was here or another forum, that the engine used in the Platinum promo is old. Last updated in 2003. Is this something I should be concerned with? I figure as long as the virus signiture updates are current I should be protected. But is the age of the AV engine a factor also?

5. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Age of the system could be a factor in things getting through, depends on several things. Most uptodate Panda product is Titanium 2004.

6. Mannaggia

Hmm, something to think about. I tried Titanium 2004's trial version. Didn't like it all that much.

7. Arin

Arin Registered Member

i'm using XP Pro and i don't have this problem. anyway glad to hear that Panda isn't the cause of that problem. the thing you heard about Panda was in this forum and that bloke would be me who started it. the engine is an important factor in detecting a virus. if its a good design then age doesn't matter much. look at Norton's NAVEX v1.5 engine dated way back to 2001. but it still detects the latest viruses with the updates. its got many VB awards up its sleeves. but sometimes to detect a particular virus the engine has to be updated. for example F-Secure updated its F-Prot engine to remove Klez, F-Prot itself updated their engine to remove Mimail. Panda doesn't participate in VB tests but appears in Check Mark tests and wins. so i bet their engine is as good as the Symantec's one. old but still able to catch the latest viruses.

Panda or anyother AV except F-Prot can't scan inside password protected archives. some Netsky and Bagle variants comes in password protected archives. so when you scan them by F-Prot it'll tell you in advance that its infected. but you have to open them and release their contents to get warnings from other AVs. it'll be cool to have that feature in Panda in their next upgrade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.