Strange BSODs in Windows - Faulty SSD?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by sukarof, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have a strange problem with BSODs and Windows. I dont get any easily identifying error text on the screen, just the 0x0000000004F or so. Cannot find any dump even though I have instructed windows to save it when crasching.

First I thought it might be faulty RAM-sticks but I have done 24 hour tests on them without problems.
    I have reinstalled my Windows 7 64 Ultimate but it gives BSOD anyway. Yesterday I did a clean install the preview of Windows 8 32bit and still got the dreaded BSOD after 7 or 8 hours. About 10 minutes after I stopped using the computer. Often the BSODs happen when I am not using the computer.

I do have a SSD (OCZ Agility 120GB) where I install Windows. I have had the SSD for almost a year but the BSODs only started 2-4 months ago. My Linux installation is on another SSD (64GB) I bought the two SSDs the same day and I have used Linux more than windows since then. But I have no problems in Linux (mint)
    Is SSD known for BSODs? Can the SSD have been worn down? Windows/programs do alot of reading and writing on the disk even when the computer is idling.

2. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

have you tried updating the SSD firmware to the latest version?

3. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Nope, I have not. I am really ashamed to say I did not know that it was possible :oops: I will look into it.

4. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

yes its not really a necessity on most SSD's but its pretty much a requirement on OCZ SSD's especially when you suspect it of misbehaving. make sure you backup any critical data on the SSD that you have not already backed up as the firmware update might wipe the data depending on OCZ's implementation of a firmware update

also run a check disk if you have not already done so, preferably after the firmware update

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.