Strange behavior. Virus?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by NOD32FAN, Nov 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NOD32FAN

NOD32FAN Guest

I have noticed some strange behavior on Windows XP that I simply have no explanation for. Suddenly I am seeing many duplicate files on my computer that have (2) at the end of them... For example: explorer(2).exe, and so on. This starting happening after i tried out Kaspersky Antivirus before going back to ESET. I did not notice anything until after uninstalling Kaspersky and doing a system restore, at which point I noticed that all of my executable files on my desktop were duplicated with the (2) at the end of them, as well as duplicate files on my task bar. I had two of all of my shortcut icons lined up on my task bar. I've never seen anything like this in my life. Anyone?

P.S. I have scanned for Viruses using both NOD32 and Panda online and came up clean.

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't think it's a malware reason. Must be a glitch in windows itslef (i've seen al sorts of weird stuff including file copy whenever you accessed them).
    Open Search option in Windows and enter this as search string:
    * (2).*

Also make sure you have empty space where underscore is placed:
    *_(2).*

Just replace _ with empty space (press spacebar instead).

This will find all objects that were affected by this glitch. Review them quickly and delete them. Then i'd recommend that you try some registry cleaner or some other well known registry repair tool. Norton WinDoctor or TuneUp Utilities 2006 registry cleaner appear to be queit effective in repairing such bugs. But can't say for sure if they'll really fix it.

3. Hummm

Hummm Guest

I'd wait and see if Don Pelotos sees this thread and can comment on it...........or you could try posting it in the Kaspersky forums.

Very strange indeed...........sounds like something went awry with the uninstall. Did you choose to remove the ntfs streams upon removal or leave them.......?

4. CyberMew

CyberMew Registered Member

It sometimes happens when you do a system restore.

5. Wabo

Wabo Registered Member

I have had this problem before, I ended up going though and deleting all the duplicate files. Its not a virus, its got something to do with how Kaspersky uninstalls itself from a Windows machine.

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

System Restore is hidden evil. Just disable that crap. It caused more problems than any good to me and i'm a pro user that knows the stuff under the hood.
    I woulodn't be surprised if System Restore is the cause for this copying issue...

7. NOD32FAN

NOD32FAN Guest

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I did uninstall the NTFS Streams. I've NEVER had a problem with system restore until trying out Kaspersky. They really need to fix this uninstall snafu as doing so and doing a system restore afterwards is a nasty affair. I'm sure this is/was all related to Kaspersky. NOD32 all the way. You can not perfect the already perfect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.