Strange Behavior - Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Genady Prishnikov, Mar 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

Hello, friends! I have a fairly new PC. It's an Intel Duo Core 6600 with 2GB of RAM. Everything has been just great - very fast. Except for two really weird things:

1. Every morning when I wake up and come to the computer, I have to reboot to get my cable internet connection going again. I never had to do that with my old computer. It's just annoying and I can't figure out why I must do that each day.

2. I don't know the proper Microsoft "sound" name for the noise that the PC makes when you plug-in a new USB device and remove it. But I'm sure you know the sound I mean. I can be working along, on the internet or typing a document and all of the sudden that noise will come from nowhere and do its thing three or four times and then stop. All connections are tight, there's nothing USB that's not tight or anything like that. It's just that particular Microsoft sound over and over for five seconds or so.

Anyway, other than that, I am loving this new computer. The Duo Core at 6600 processes video in about half the time as my old Pentium 2.4Ghz - which I had always thought was pretty fast, but the video editing, recompiling, ripping, whatever - it all just smokes through to its completion in about half the time as my oldie. It's just these two bugaboos that have me perplexed.

Any ideas from my Wilder's friends? Thanks in advance!!
    мир
    Genady

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Here are the answers for you:

I have a laptop with Core Duo - my workplace crap machine. When I undock it, it does the series of 3-4 random pi-pin pi-pin ... pi-pin... Dunno why, but you're not the only one. No problems otherwise. Nothing noticeable.

Are you using a VPN dialer? L2TP / PPTP perhaps? Sometimes connections drop out. But on the server side, you do not disconnect, which keeps you connected. As you know, only a single L2TP / PPTP can run on Ethernet at any given time, that's why you must restart - your modem will acquire a new IP...

Maybe this helps?

Mrk

3. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Are you behind a Router? If yes have you tried to reset it or to reconfigure it?

As for the USB device beeping, I heard that some USB keyboard may do that.

4. Genady Prishnikov

Thanks for the speedy reply. Actually, I just have a cable connection behind a router and no VPN (at least none that I use except for short periods every week or so, but I sign-in and sign right out).

MY computer is a desktop, nothing to dock/undock.

So, I'm still looking for answers. Thanks for your reply though. I always enjoy reading your posts.

5. Genady Prishnikov

Antarctica, I am behind a router. A Linksys wired router. I have tried doing as you suggested but with no luck. I also don't have a USB keyboard. On the connection thing, it stays connected fine with my old computer as I tried it again for a couple of nights. As soon as I hooked the new one up - same thing, I have to reboot each morning. It's odd. The difference could be the Gigabit ethernet on my new PC/motherboard. Maybe there's just some quirk. I am going to post this question on a motherboard forum. I have an Asus P5B, btw.

6. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Have you tried turning off DHCP and using a static IP?

7. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Check in Device Manager for power settings of the Gigabit ethernet adapter. Try taking the check mark out of Allow computer to turn this device off. Windows can be a little ignorant in waking up some devices when they are needed.

8. Genady Prishnikov

ThunderZ......Send me your bill! :) That was exactly what it was. I tried your tweak about 3 hours ago, came back to the computer, and before, after that length of time, I would have had to reboot - but I was connected immediately. Thank you, thank you!

Genady

9. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

:thumb: Glad to have helped. That one has bitten me many a time on various devices. Now on a fresh install it is one of the first changes I make.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.