Strange Ad-aware Personal behavior

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by richrf, Dec 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I had this strange problem where ProcessGuard began reporting that it was preventing Ad-aware from terminating smss.exe. I uninstalled Ad-aware and re-installed and the problem went away. Anyone else have similar incidences?

Rich

2. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Hope this is some help :cool:

Jimbob

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi RichF, Lots of security programs try to see if they can terminate, read or modify system processes but it is usually only a test or bad programming.
    SpySweeper also tries this trick :)
    If the alerts are not persistant I think you can quite safely ignore the alerts unless you notice any problems by doing so.

HTH Pilli

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, richrf

The cause is because in Ad-adware under Tweaks>Scanning Engine, you must have set it to Obtain command line of a scanned processes which when set as such it must be stopping [or trying to stop] smss when trying obtain it command line, which will then make PG give you that Alert.

So you will either have to stop Ad-aware from trying to Obtain the command line of a scnned processes, or give Ad-aware Terminate privileges, or do as Pilli says and ignore the alerts.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.