STOPzilla as AV?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Daveski17, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

A friend of mine has told me that they are using STOPzilla as their AV. I thought that STOPzilla was only anti-malware & not anti-virus. To be honest I haven't heard very good things about it. I would be grateful if anyone has any more information on it.

2. overangry

overangry Registered Member

3. Daveski17

OK thanks. It looks a bit dodgy if you ask me.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

In my experience StopZilla is utterly useless. I know, I should stop being polite and say what I really feel...:D

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

victek do you have any prove to what you say or did you personally tested this software?

6. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

The pay to remove ones often don't get tested and ones like this are twice as bad because no one wants to hand them personal financial data just to run a test .

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

if this is the case wooo it sucks big time:D

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

to be honest i stoped searching for scaners after i found MBAM and Prevx;)

note:if they give a free trial of this stopzilla i will defenitly test it:):)

9. Daveski17

A lot of people would agree with you. It looks like rogue-ware to me. I checked out their site with Site Advisor & virtually everyone who commented hates it! :eek:

10. Daveski17

I have heard that it is very difficult to uninstall. I stopped searching for scanners after I found SUPERAntiSpyware. I had a PrevX rootkit scanner once, which would only remove something if you paid, but eventually I uninstalled it as I thought it was unstable. I also used to run MBAM (for 13 or so months) but I uninstalled that as well.

I think that there is a freeware version of STOPzilla because my friend uses it. He seems to think it's OK but he doesn't know a great deal about computer apps (I don't for that matter). I still think that it may be close to being rogue. I am fairly sure it isn't an AV either. I'll try & get him to download the Panda Cloud or something decent.

Virtually everyone I have asked who has had experience of STOPzilla has given it a big :thumbd:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

understand dave thanks alot for this info:thumb:

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I have worked on a number of machines that had StopZilla installed and they were badly infected. Obviously StopZilla didn't prevent the infections, but to be fair I haven't had enough experience with it to have a proper opinion so I retract my earlier comment. There is a review at pcmag.com - done in 2007 - of StopZilla 5 (which is the current version). It got poor marks, but it was not completely useless.

Edit:

Here is the link to the review...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2162968,00.asp

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

victek got it :) thanks for explanation

14. Daveski17

I was given this advice by 'Whiskeyman' on Windows BBS & it looks about right.

'To remove STOPzilla you need to right click on it's icon on the taskbar then click on Exit. Next open Task Manager and locate stopzilla.exe, click on it then click the End Process button. You can then uninstall it in Add/Remove Programs or equivalent for Vista and Windows 7.'

I reckon that once you 'end process' it in either task manager or Windows Defender it can be removed. This was probably the source of it being difficult to uninstall. I had a similar problem with Flock once. Once I figured out I needed to terminate the running of the program it could be removed (it was running in the background apparently).

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

dave that was very inconvinient for just removing an app

16. Daveski17

Yeah, I'll say. I think STOPzilla probably make it difficult to uninstall on purpose. I have often wondered if Norton do a similar thing as that's never easy to totally uninstall. As for Flock, I am not sure what exactly happened with that. I have never had any *real trouble with anything else Gecko based (Firefox, SeaMonkey & K-Meleon) & SpywareBlaster recognised it & at first Flock seemed fine. It just started to become unstable & wouldn't close down properly. o_O

Flock? I could think of a similar word beginning with 'F'! :blink:

*For some reason I couldn't get K-Meleon 1.5.1 to bookmark properly. Every time I re-opened it the bookmarks had disappeared! K-Meleon 1.5.3 is perfect though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.